GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CTS turbo inlet pipe

Scottmk7

Ready to race!
I was told the inlet pipes are on back order. Mine will not ship until the end of February.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

SoCalmk7

Here's my unscientific review:

As far as intake mods go, I already have the AFE intake (which made the largest difference), and the turbo muffler delete (which did absolutely nothing to be honest)

So I bought the CTS TIP. It seemed to me to be such an obvious bottleneck, that I wondered and thought about fluid dynamics, and how air flows from my time in college. I know that the bottleneck will increase the speed of the air going into the turbo. Think bernoulli equation. I think the VW engineers designed the piece in a very intentional and deliberate way.

Anyway, I installed it. There is a definite increase in sound when releasing the throttle after going WOT. But I couldn't say that there's any increase in power.

In fact, on a trip last weekend to up the CA coast on highway 1, I noticed when going WOT at times, I'd hear what can only be described as some kind of 'turbo flutter' or something I've never heard before.. like the turbo couldn't gulp down the air quick enough and was gagging..

I'll keep it on and test it some more.. Putting in some colder ngk plugs this weekend. I'll see if the situation improves.. but if all you want is more sound, yes this will increase sound.

Currently using ED 8.2 tune

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Socal,
You have the AFe box top intake? (snaps onto the top of the stock box?). hardly any reviews of these. Thanks for the feedback on the inlet. I imagined it would provide more sound then performance. (but hey, that is probably what most of us want out of an intake anyway!)

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion

As far as intake mods go, I already have the AFE intake (which made the largest difference), and the turbo muffler delete (which did absolutely nothing to be honest)

So I bought the CTS TIP. It seemed to me to be such an obvious bottleneck, that I wondered and thought about fluid dynamics, and how air flows from my time in college. I know that the bottleneck will increase the speed of the air going into the turbo. Think bernoulli equation. I think the VW engineers designed the piece in a very intentional and deliberate way.

Anyway, I installed it. There is a definite increase in sound when releasing the throttle after going WOT. But I couldn't say that there's any increase in power.

In fact, on a trip last weekend to up the CA coast on highway 1, I noticed when going WOT at times, I'd hear what can only be described as some kind of 'turbo flutter' or something I've never heard before.. like the turbo couldn't gulp down the air quick enough and was gagging..

I'll keep it on and test it some more.. Putting in some colder ngk plugs this weekend. I'll see if the situation improves.. but if all you want is more sound, yes this will increase sound.

I know the ED 8.2 tune produces flutter sub 3k RPM, maybe its just amplified now?

Interested to hear more after you do the plugs etc.

Universal_Remonster

Ready to race!

Thanks for the review. Sounds like another waste of money mod. There just isn't much to be gained on the intake side of our engines.

worldacgti

Go Kart Champion
I had a completely different experience. Coupled with apr stg 2 there was definitely a difference. I will be re-dynoing the car in the next week or so. Previously it made 323 and 395 and i suspect it will be somewhere in the 330+ range with the addition of this piece, the the turbo outlet pipe and my uni intercooler

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

SoCalmk7

I know the ED 8.2 tune produces flutter sub 3k RPM, maybe its just amplified now?

Interested to hear more after you do the plugs etc.

Thats great info! I didn't know that 'flutter' was common on the ED 8.2 tune under 3k rpm. I'd never heard that before.. But yes its very possible that I didn't hear it before.. Since the new pipe is billet and right on top of turbo, any noise is going to be amplified alot.

I admit though that this car along with all turbos is very 'fickle' .. due to temp, humidity, etc.. This morning it was 45F and I was in 3rd going around 45 at ~3k rpm or close - and on an open road I floored it. I was surprised at how hard I was thrown into my seat and how fast I got to 90mph..

But this car surprises me all the time. I'm close to 300 whp, and doubt highly that I'd notice a 10 hp difference. I'm almost 40, and have learned to be skeptical with mods and the placebo affect.

Its possible this mod adds 5-10 hp.. hell it could take away 5 hp and I don't think I'd know.

Thanks for the info about the flutter.. It was really concerning me. Sounds like the car is literally trying to choke down too much air

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra
......I'm almost 40, and have learned to be skeptical with mods and the placebo affect.

Its possible this mod adds 5-10 hp.. hell it could take away 5 hp and I don't think I'd know.....

Since I’m about 50% older than you perhaps that’s the reason for my skepticism ;).

I definitely not expect any big difference, just a small gain nearly not noticeable…. I’m stock with 300 hp in an R. Only mods regarding drivetrain is CTS intake, permanent open exhaust flappers and an alu-engine mount insert (dog bone).

Seems to be a long wait.

/Peter

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
I can see where it would make more of a difference with a larger turbo (R vs GTI) especially if you were pushing more boost. But that being said, I'm sure if you did all the upgrades you might get another 10-15, so you figure the inlet is probably good for some more sound (awesome) and a few ponies here or there.

It's funny when you think about a tiny piece of pipe possibly producing as much power as a horse.

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra
I can see where it would make more of a difference with a larger turbo (R vs GTI) especially if you were pushing more boost. But that being said, I'm sure if you did all the upgrades you might get another 10-15, so you figure the inlet is probably good for some more sound (awesome) and a few ponies here or there.

It's funny when you think about a tiny piece of pipe possibly producing as much power as a horse.

Regarding your comparison horse / Inlet pipe…...Then I think we should be very satisfied if the gain is say 5 hp….which isn’t detectable for most of us :D:D!

/Peter

Mk7VW

Banned
Does the stock intake or Neuspeed coupling fit this inlet pipe?

Mk7VW

Banned
I just ordered this directly through ctsturbo.com with free shipping :)