GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CSB3: Boat Salesman In Florida Colluding With Chicago, Sauce Level Rises In Deep Dish Pizzas

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
It's interesting, because if we trust APR's 'at the wheels' dyno, the DTR6054 on 91 makes more than a Stage 2 IS20 with supporting mods. I can definitely see it being less attractive to an R owner, but for the $1500 pricetag, you're not that far off from the cost going to an IS38 on a GTI.

Very casually weighing in/with admittedly next to zero knowledge, I think it's an alright option. I'm in a considerable amount of money for stage 2 and probably could have gone straight to DTR from stock for mildly better results. BUT a thought that just occurred to me (smoothbrain over here) is that there's a lot more labor involved in a DTR versus stage 2 IS20, and that would raise the price considerably.

I still think it's a valid option, but I can also see where it might not be the best choice. Personally, if I'm touching the turbo, I'm likely just going IS38 and staying there.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
It's interesting, because if we trust APR's 'at the wheels' dyno, the DTR6054 on 91 makes more than a Stage 2 IS20 with supporting mods. I can definitely see it being less attractive to an R owner, but for the $1500 pricetag, you're not that far off from the cost going to an IS38 on a GTI.

Very casually weighing in/with admittedly next to zero knowledge, I think it's an alright option. I'm in a considerable amount of money for stage 2 and probably could have gone straight to DTR from stock for mildly better results. BUT a thought that just occurred to me (smoothbrain over here) is that there's a lot more labor involved in a DTR versus stage 2 IS20, and that would raise the price considerably.

I still think it's a valid option, but I can also see where it might not be the best choice. Personally, if I'm touching the turbo, I'm likely just going IS38 and staying there.

You hit just about every point why it doesn't make sense to go from a stage 2 GTI to the DTR. If you're already stage 2, you can buy an IS38 and tune for $1500, take advantage of all the mods you already have (most notably the downpipe), and be better off.

Going from stock or stage 1 GTI to a DTR is just about the only situation where it makes sense.

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
Just my opinion, but the DTR is still a fairly attractive option on a stock or stage 1 GTI, considering it's a turbo and tune for $1500.

On a stage 1 R where you already have an IS38, it seems like it kinda looses it's luster, especially considering you need the $2700 version with the fueling upgrades to really take use of it.

Rice can probably articulate it better than me though, since he actually lived it, while I'm just going off what I've read.

And at that price you're in Vortex w/ Fueling + Tune bundle territory.

messrock

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI DSG

As guy that went stage 1 GTI to DTR - no ragrets. @aspro_gti enjoyed the ride too.

If I was already stage 2 in either GTI or Golf R? Big fat NOAP. Juice not worth the squeeze.

messrock

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI DSG
The biggest driver for me to stay stock DP - I street park in a congested neighborhood and leave my house at 5:30AM 5 days a week. Didn’t want to be “that guy”

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Just my opinion, but the DTR is still a fairly attractive option on a stock or stage 1 GTI, considering it's a turbo and tune for $1500.

On a stage 1 R where you already have an IS38, it seems like it kinda looses it's luster, especially considering you need the $2700 version with the fueling upgrades to really take use of it.

Rice can probably articulate it better than me though, since he actually lived it, while I'm just going off what I've read.

And at that price you're in Vortex w/ Fueling + Tune bundle territory.

Yes, $2700 is all you need... Certainly not double that...

libradoink.gif

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
The biggest driver for me to stay stock DP - I street park in a congested neighborhood and leave my house at 5:30AM 5 days a week. Didn’t want to be “that guy”
That's valid. Though I would argue mine under mild load is very close to stock levels of noisiness, I'm on Jake's catted DP and resonator, and CTS catback. Not loud at all, BUT kinda nice to stay under the radar. Nobody expects it.

Covelight

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R

R owner with DTR here. Bone stock prior. Anyone with a downpipe on their car, avoid this kit like the plague. Like others said, IS38 + accompanying tune from anyone but APR - they only advertise stock dp IS38 files now - and you'll enjoy a much more forgiving powerband. Want more? Vortex or another hybrid and a custom tune.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
R owner with DTR here. Bone stock prior. Anyone with a downpipe on their car, avoid this kit like the plague. Like others said, IS38 + accompanying tune from anyone but APR - they only advertise stock dp IS38 files now - and you'll enjoy a much more forgiving powerband. Want more? Vortex or another hybrid and a custom tune.

What are your thoughts going from bone stock R to DTR though? Did you do just the turbo and tune, or fueling as well?

messrock

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI DSG
That's valid. Though I would argue mine under mild load is very close to stock levels of noisiness, I'm on Jake's catted DP and resonator, and CTS catback. Not loud at all, BUT kinda nice to stay under the radar. Nobody expects it.
Jake’s catted DP is a league above where I wanted to spend money to generate power.

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
Yes, $2700 is all you need... Certainly not double that...

I'll fully admit that I'm just a Mk6 guy who browses Mk7 out of boredom on occasion, but I did actually go to EQT's website and price dat shit out before posting. My assumption was that a Stg 1 R owner who's looking at a Vortex has probably already done some of the supporting mods like intercooler etc. Maybe my mental math adding all the options up was wrong? But I'd be surprised to be off by double.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
You hit just about every point why it doesn't make sense to go from a stage 2 GTI to the DTR. If you're already stage 2, you can buy an IS38 and tune for $1500, take advantage of all the mods you already have (most notably the downpipe), and be better off.

Going from stock or stage 1 GTI to a DTR is just about the only situation where it makes sense.
this, and if you have strict emissions/cant swap your own downpipe on your awd car lol. probably a pretty sweet option for a stock GTI for the $

the thing that made me do it was not being able to pass emissions on stg 2 apr, since i couldn't flash to stock and pass on aftermarket downpipe. so figured, hey if i can make some ~20-40whp more on the DTR, for whatever the introductory price was, it was a sweet deal. Unfortunately, it was both slower than the stage 2 r setup, and ALSO didn't pass emissions! in my case, no idea what the root cause of not passing was, wasted too much time bantering back and forth with APR about it and them failing to scan my car, so i riceburnered the car just before emissions/registration was due.

thing was a fucking animal on the stage 2 setup
lots of low RPM lag which it generally made up for in the higher RPMs on the DTR, but overall didn't quite feel as fast or faster.

while i'm at it i like posting ~0-80 and 0-100 vids of my cars haha. life is a straight line for me apparently
the NICE manual s4 i had was so clean
the SHITTY auto s4 i had after the 7R but was still pretty damn quick
the b5 s4 was not a true 'stage 3' but it was def fun
and now, my slow but very fun mk5

Last edited: