GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CSB: Vu - Local Forum n00b Questions Forum Unwritten Rules - New Pope Being Elected

Status
Not open for further replies.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
The avg market price they have set on that car is also way off. They're pretty much all $60k+. I wish $45-49k was the avg price on that car lol, I'd get one tomorrow.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
The avg market price they have set on that car is also way off. They're pretty much all $60k+. I wish $45-49k was the avg price on that car lol, I'd get one tomorrow.
Give it 6 months.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Jays exempt from thread title

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Give it 6 months.
It'll probably be at least 6 months before I do anything anyway. I get myself hyped up though and then can't wait. I watched a bunch of TTRS videos over the weekend. lol.

If used prices come down then it also means I'll be getting less for my car.

I can find good supras for like $55k, but the TTRS is like $65-69k for one with low miles. The supra is a lot easier for me to get into. I could do that today without worrying too much about it. If it's a TTRS I'm getting into I need to wait a bit on that one.

Been reading some horror stories on dealership services with the toyota though. Toyota dealers tend to have 1 guy, maybe 2 if it's a high volume dealership, that work on supras and it's all they do. Getting them serviced or repaired sounds like a pain in the ass. I read a story of a guy last week that brought his car in for an oil change with a scheduled service. When he got there they told him the oil and filter was on backorder so they couldn't do it. It's a simple thing, but that doesn't really inspire a lot of confidence. The supra looks so damn amazing though, and it's a bit cheaper, but I also know nothing about toyotas and bmw's. I avoid dealers in every way possible, so this may not even be a problem.

The TTRS let's me stay in the VAG though, and I'm comfortable here in the VAG. I'm familiar with the tuners and the aftermarket parts. I'd have no worry about slapping a stage 1 tune (470hp 😲) on it and being done with it. If I can't do the TTRS the RS3 is also an option. They're quite a bit more common and easier to find in that $55k range. I like the TTRS so much more though.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6 GTI

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
It'll probably be at least 6 months before I do anything anyway. I get myself hyped up though and then can't wait. I watched a bunch of TTRS videos over the weekend. lol.

If used prices come down then it also means I'll be getting less for my car.

I can find good supras for like $55k, but the TTRS is like $65-69k for one with low miles. The supra is a lot easier for me to get into. I could do that today without worrying too much about it. If it's a TTRS I'm getting into I need to wait a bit on that one.

Been reading some horror stories on dealership services with the toyota though. Toyota dealers tend to have 1 guy, maybe 2 if it's a high volume dealership, that work on supras and it's all they do. Getting them serviced or repaired sounds like a pain in the ass. I read a story of a guy last week that brought his car in for an oil change with a scheduled service. When he got there they told him the oil and filter was on backorder so they couldn't do it. It's a simple thing, but that doesn't really inspire a lot of confidence. The supra looks so damn amazing though, and it's a bit cheaper, but I also know nothing about toyotas and bmw's. I avoid dealers in every way possible, so this may not even be a problem.

The TTRS let's me stay in the VAG though, and I'm comfortable here in the VAG. I'm familiar with the tuners and the aftermarket parts. I'd have no worry about slapping a stage 1 tune (470hp 😲) on it and being done with it. If I can't do the TTRS the RS3 is also an option. They're quite a bit more common and easier to find in that $55k range. I like the TTRS so much more though.

Been kicking this around too. If the RS3 hatch was available it’s be a no brainer.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I'm very, very interested in trying my hand with medium format, but the cost of entry is so high!! My friend has a Mamiya RZ67 that I've gotten to use a few times, it's such an experience. Med-format has such a special magic to it.

I agree medium format is great. Only shot a very limited amount on a borrowed camera. IIRC it was a Mamiya. Down the road I can see me picking up a used Fujifilm GFX 50s when the price comes down. Although as an old fart I may not be around when that finally happens.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Been kicking this around too. If the RS3 hatch was available it’s be a no brainer.
This might start another one of them manual vs auto fights....I probably shouldn't be looking at cars, but I'm starting to get tired of driving a manual. I've had 15 straight years of driving a VW manual. I've never owned a 2nd car, so I've never been able to take a break from shifting. I don't regret it, but after all this time I think I'm finally ready for a change. If these cars had a more rewarding manual I might be able to stick to it. Even with cars that have more tech in their manuals I'm not sure I'm interested. The Z and supra manuals coming out this year both have the rev match feature.

I saw the new type R is supposed to come out later this year. I feel like I'm always hearing about how good the shifts feel on civics. This might be the only car I could consider another manual with, but I'm not big into hondas and the previous type R had crazy msrp mark ups even without a pandemic. I'm also not sure a 4 cylinder is something I want again. I think I'd prefer a 5 or 6 cylinder so I can have a car that actually sounds good. It's also still only a FWD car so that makes it not worth considering too.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
This might start another one of them manual vs auto fights....I probably shouldn't be looking at cars, but I'm starting to get tired of driving a manual. I've had 15 straight years of driving a VW manual. I've never owned a 2nd car, so I've never been able to take a break from shifting. I don't regret it, but after all this time I think I'm finally ready for a change. If these cars had a more rewarding manual I might be able to stick to it. Even with cars that have more tech in their manuals I'm not sure I'm interested. The Z and supra manuals coming out this year both have the rev match feature.

I saw the new type R is supposed to come out later this year. I feel like I'm always hearing about how good the shifts feel on civics. This might be the only car I could consider another manual with, but I'm not big into hondas and the previous type R had crazy msrp mark ups even without a pandemic. I'm also not sure a 4 cylinder is something I want again. I think I'd prefer a 5 or 6 cylinder so I can have a car that actually sounds good. It's also still only a FWD car so that makes it not worth considering too.
I have a manual car with rev matching and it's pretty great. I'm sure I'll catch some heat for being lazy and keeping it on all the time, but it makes the driving much smoother (no one is perfect all the time) and you feel like a race car driver without having to think so hard about it. Yes, the challenge of pulling off perfectly rev matched downshifts is part of the appeal of a manual, but if you just want to relax and drive, it's nice that it lowers the effort so much.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
i really enjoy doing the revmatching myself but its a tad trickier on turbo cars, like you really need to give the throttle a good stab to nail it just right

Status
Not open for further replies.