GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

COBB DSG tune

Memonstatus

saw that Cobb now supports the 7 speed, quickly upgraded, only to find that its severely limited, does not stop automatic upshift in manual mode, and instead of making the sport mode more aggressive, they made the D mode drive like sport (in the sport tune) and the sport mode is untouched. Only thing it added for me was the gear indicator in D and S but that’s not worth the price. Any idea if this functionality will be added?

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
I got the new Cobb 7speed dsg tune and it is working as advertised.(v100--20A sport flashed) I definitely notice increased clamping with harder faster shifts, shiftpoint in D has moved up to around 2-2200rpm with light throttle inputs, sport mode stays the same.

Only downsides I see is that it still upshifts early with ACC active and 1-2 upshift/downshift needs some improvement.

https://www.cobbtuning.com/golf-gtir-7-speed-dsg-support/

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
@ChrisMk77 do you mean as in youd like it to upshift later in the rpm range, like 2500rpm for example?

It is still throttle dependent no? Meaning it may not shift at 2200rpm from 2nd to 3rd when youre 35% throttle but it may at 15%?

Does the shift logic change in sport mode?

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
What a difference the EQT DSG tune makes over my Eurodyne Stg2. I'm actually in second now going around 90 degree right hand turns instead of third, and it actually downshifts going up hills at 1800 rpm instead of lugging it out. Variable shift points based on throttle feels much more natural as well.

Also no more annoying crap like having to sit on the brake for 2 seconds going from reverse to drive (ED would disengage the clutch if you got back on gas to quick). I even had ED disengage the clutch in first when I tried to pull out in traffic up a hill one time. Luckily I had barely nosed out and was able to get back on brakes and wait it out but that was no bueno.

Edit: One thing I forgot to mention, full clutch engagement and throttle responsiveness when leaving from a stop is a lot quicker with EQT as well. I always felt a bit sluggish leaving a red light before as the ED tune would slip the clutch more for a smoother take off. I am needing to be a bit gentler on the throttle and may try switching the OBD11 tweak for throttle response back to over time instead of direct.

Last edited:

Cowzill00

Ready to race!
Loving my EQT DSG tune. Among many things that are good, it is more “coasty” than Cobb Sport. Cobb was fairly aggressive on the downshifts when just tooling around/commuting.

4/5 shift on Cobb seemed to gear hunt when the needle hit 40mph, with almost no peddle input.

Not so with EQT. It’s almost 100% how I’d drive manually in D mode.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Glad you guys are enjoying it!

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Glad you guys are enjoying it!

It's been great Ed. If I had one single change to make it would be the sensitivity of throttle affecting the shift point of 1st to 2nd. Feels like by the time you give it enough gas to get rolling it takes off a little more than expected. It's difficult to get that 2.1k shift point in first. I'll get used to it, the heavy winter boots don't help lol!

Can you confirm that the throttle adaptation doesn't affect your ECU tune? With Eurodyne the throttle was quite sluggish in Gradual compared to Direct. With your tune they both feel equally responsive.
1 - Module 44 - Power steering. Code (19249), 2 - Adaptation, 3 - Select - switching driving profile.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
It's been great Ed. If I had one single change to make it would be the sensitivity of throttle affecting the shift point of 1st to 2nd. Feels like by the time you give it enough gas to get rolling it takes off a little more than expected. It's difficult to get that 2.1k shift point in first. I'll get used to it, the heavy winter boots don't help lol!

Can you confirm that the throttle adaptation doesn't affect your ECU tune? With Eurodyne the throttle was quite sluggish in Gradual compared to Direct. With your tune they both feel equally responsive.
1 - Module 44 - Power steering. Code (19249), 2 - Adaptation, 3 - Select - switching driving profile.

I've never played with the throttle adaptation, but it should have the same effect. I recommend leaving it stock as that's how I tuned the cars.

You may want to run through the DSG services items on the AP to clear any odd learning behavior.

-- Ed

audio vicious

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport DSG
I've never played with the throttle adaptation, but it should have the same effect. I recommend leaving it stock as that's how I tuned the cars.

You may want to run through the DSG services items on the AP to clear any odd learning behavior.

-- Ed
Ed, I've been running your DSG tune for a few weeks and love it, but I've been meaning to ask about those DSG services. I ran one after I first flashed it, it involved holding the brake and listening to clunks coming from the DSG. There were other options, many more if I remember correctly. I've been curious about which to run, or if there's an order. I wanted to make sure I did it properly if there was a case for doing so.

I also recall editing the throttle response to be more linear opposed to the delayed response it was by stock with an OBD11 way before I flashed your DSG tune. Should I revert that?

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Ed, I've been running your DSG tune for a few weeks and love it, but I've been meaning to ask about those DSG services. I ran one after I first flashed it, it involved holding the brake and listening to clunks coming from the DSG. There were other options, many more if I remember correctly. I've been curious about which to run, or if there's an order. I wanted to make sure I did it properly if there was a case for doing so.

I also recall editing the throttle response to be more linear opposed to the delayed response it was by stock with an OBD11 way before I flashed your DSG tune. Should I revert that?

If there is an issue, I recommend running through each item one by one. But usually just the default settings is fine.

I tunes the maps with default throttle settings, so I’d start there.