GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CNG conversion

xola3que

euroturd
All these buzz about natural gas price at a 20 years low and the all extra surplus volume from advanced hydrofracking make them so damn cheap ($1.10/gal) that the US could be the world leading in CNG exporter. I'm wondering if it is even possible to consider a CNG conversion on the GTI since gasoline isn't likely to go down in price any time soon. What's the performance like compare to 93 octane? Anyone has any educated inputs on this matter?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydraulic_fracturing

Last edited:

07bunny

Passed Driver's Ed
usually cng powered cars are half the power of what they would be if gasoline powered, also believe they would not work on any direct cylinder injected engine because of the pressure at which the hpfp puts it at and then you also have to factor in the lubricity, you really cant run ethonal products over 10% so i highly doubt this will also work, correct me if im worng, but dont be a dick about it

xola3que

euroturd
From what I gather, the biggest problem with CNG is the high pressure in the tank. They could be up to 1300 psi which, of course, requires specially made tank so it won't just go off at the first drop of a french fry. With that kind of pressure it would be perfect to bypass the HPFP altogether and tune the injectors for direct injection. CNG usually would be running as a second stage fuel after the initial warming up using normal gas.

CNG is $.75 per gallon now...:biggrin: I can do a whole month of commute for $50.

I think like 95% of Iranian car is CNG. They're doing right for once.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I believe it's correct that you can't run CNG on direct injection.

Also, you would need huge injectors, and a custom tune to operate them, because it takes 50% more fuel for the same BTU content. I can only assume the maps would be similar otherwise.

Like was said, you need to start on gasoline, unless you live in the tropics.

Add in the much reduced range, unless you want your hatch full of tanks, and it becomes impractical.

Not to mention the cost of the conversion, and the problem of finding CNG on the road.

The only advantages, I think, are CNG is higher octane, and it burns cleaner.

Last edited:

RRIDER450

all of the facts im about to state are 100% true facts about CNG vehicles..cng would not work on a GDI vehicle. there is almost no power loss when running on natural gas if you run a good system, tank pressures are 3600 psi. there are diff types of tanks, anywhere from solid steel type 1 tanks that weight about 200-400# up to a full composite type 4 tank that only weighs about 100# but is 3-4x the cost (starting at $2800 for a small tank). i work at a shop that does conversions, i have my mk5 rabbit converted, i used a type one tank with a cng solutions conversion, its full sequential. my rabbit is bi fuel so i can still run on gasoline. here is a link to some pics, the car is still for sale for the right price.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5843414-07-shaved-CNG-rabbit

CameronR

Passed Driver's Ed
+1 to what RRIDER450 said. Financially the conversions make no sense to me, you really need to be a fleet user with high fuel use to make this work. However, I would consider a CNG car or truck from an OEM. Brand new these can fetch incentives in some states and provinces. Plus if you have natural gas service at your house a slow fill station (overnight fill) can be installed at you house.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk 2