GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clunking clicking noise over bumps- help please

vinzo

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 gti dsg
Hi everyone,

info on the car- Car 2007 MKV gti 44 k miles now, FK coils for 10 k miles, didnt like the stiff ride so swapped to stock with 15-20 k miles on it. i drive on Brooklyn roads on the weekends so its very rough on my car

i just went back to stock suspension from FK coilovers and my car was driving fine for a week and all of a sudden after i got my inspection done a few miles down the road i started hearing a clicking clunking noise when i go over uneven pavement or bumps. it kinda of sounds like a rattling almost. it started out just on the drivers side and then it went to both and it got progressively louder. i think it finally reached its loudness level and just sounds like loose end links. I have jacked up my car and inspected the links and they look fine. can anyone suggest what could be the problem and how i can check if it is.

thanks!

clif notes- had FK coils, swapped back to stock 10 k mileage susp and now i have a knock/creak clunking w.e noise when i go over bumps

ChattMkv

Level 80 Procrasturbator
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
Have you thought to check your subframe bolts yet? Just search "Subframe bolts" in the search box and you'll see several threads where replacing these fixed many people's problems.

$13 at ECS Tuning plus shipping and even a video on how to do it yourself.

Wüstenfuchs

Alpha and Omega
Another thing to consider is the A-arm (control arm) bushings, mine went just shy of 50K. They are replaced in pairs and I don't think you can just replace the bushings, the whole control arm has to go. If your car is still under new car warranty the dealer will do this repair for you pro bono.

Last edited:

32r32

Passed Driver's Ed
hey this sounds simular to my thread also in this topic, can you feel it through the steering wheel?
let me know how you go as i too am trying to solve this...... mine is like a cluncking when i go over a small rut in the road or an uneven surface and i can kinda feel it in the sterring wheel, mine too started on the right side and now i can kinda feel it in the middle to. So far i have replaced Strut bearings and new front struts, still no fix :(

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I had to replace my sway bar end-links up front after my third suspension swap and had a similar noise before doing so. The stocks are not the most durable. I would also check the sub frame. Basically get under the car and check everything again.

panda_man22

Go Kart Champion
-subframe
-strut moutns
-endlinks
-sway bar bracket bolts

all things i would be checking