D Griff

Go Kart Champion
From C&D Lightning Laps at VIR:
06 Si 3:26.5
07 GTI 3:25.1
08 Si Mugen 3:24.8
10 GTI 3:19.3
12 Si 3:24.1

Somehow I doubt the HFP package will make up almost 5 sec, but who knows....

better/different tires or DRIVERS may make up the difference. I hate the LL shit from C&D.

Yes. Riddle me this C & D, how is there a six second difference between an '07 GTI and a '10 GTI? It's a MK5 vs. a MK 5.1 er 6... There aren't really big performance differences. Everytime I autox I wish I had bought the Si for the LSD. Every other day (so 358 or so per year) I'm glad I bought the GTI.

Now, the BRZ... if the GTI was as fast around a track as one, all BRZ buyers would feel stupid. Straight line... who cares anyway? Well many people, but not me personally.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
What is the beef with LL? Just another test with objective numbers everyone tries to make subjective as in 0-60 or 1/4 mile. It isn't perfect, but what is? You can argue against something all the time.

Is everyone saying the Si is better than a GTI? I'm confused. I thought GTI > Veyron??

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
I mean, I guess it's better than having nothing like it available... things like what I mentioned above about two very similar GTIs differing by so much just kind of bother me.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
The laptime means as much or as little as people like to quote Nordschleife, Hockenheim, Laguna Seca, EVO Magazine or Top Gear track time...they don't control tire/weather/driver or anything....

MK5 to MK6 may not be that different, there are still some differences....the presence of XDS for one, which although not a real LSD, still functions quite well. At the end of the day calling the GTI being just good compare to the others in a straightline and falls flat on its face on track is just not a truthful statement....This will be the 3rd year I autox mine, I've seen people a lot better than me driving it and doing even better....

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
I don't think anyone ever said the GTI falls flat on its face on the track. I really enjoy autoxing mine, and it's great for what it is. I just said it won't compare to something like a BRZ on a track that is a real, RWD, lighter sports car. You give up a lot with a car like that compared to a hot hatch in terms of daily drivability/practicality though.

I mean, I obviously bought a GTI. The BRZ wasn't out yet at the time, but I certainly could've chosen other rides, the GTI is very good!

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
I don't think anyone ever said the GTI falls flat on its face on the track. I really enjoy autoxing mine, and it's great for what it is. I just said it won't compare to something like a BRZ on a track that is a real, RWD, lighter sports car. You give up a lot with a car like that compared to a hot hatch in terms of daily drivability/practicality though.

I mean, I obviously bought a GTI. The BRZ wasn't out yet at the time, but I certainly could've chosen other rides, the GTI is very good!

Whole reason I bothered....

The gti should have no problem taking them on straights. Put them in the corner and the gti will fall to dead last. The Si has a stock limited slip, the FRS was made to handle with its low cog.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
Fair. Even if he's right, it's a little dramatic to say fall to dead last when it might be a second slower than the Si lol.

Noize

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2022 GTI SE
The drift at the end of that video was fantastic.
Sure wish we had a proper limited slip option from the factory! I would have gladly ponied up $1200 for that checkbox with a warranty.