GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Chip + Intake

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
That intake isn't really going to do anything to your horsepower. As far as how much you'll be making goes....it depends on what APR program you get. If you go with the 93 octane one then they claim 252 hp and 303 torque (at the crank). Either way, you're going to love the drastic difference it makes. But IMO the intake is more of a cosmetic thing.

Bad hare

Ex-mkv owner
x2 - intakes don't do anything on turbo cars. ( very minimal) not worth the money. put that towards a turbo back exhaust.

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
Bad hare said:
x2 - intakes don't do anything on turbo cars. ( very minimal) not worth the money. put that towards a turbo back exhaust.

ok...so i read that and i read Kriks statement...now i have a question

alot of people on this forum(maybe elsewhere..havent looked)say that an intake does nothing for performance or very little

how exactly have u come up with this conclusion?...how would an intake NOT help?...doesnt every car need to have some sort of air flow coming into the motor?...what makes a turbo car are any different from an N/A car?

if u think about it....a higher flowing intake means more air...granted a motor can only take in so much air at one time...but having a restrictive intake means u arent getting the maximum amount of air u could be getting

normally the first things u would do as far as performance mods would be intake/header/cat-back exhaust...atleast for an N/A motor

now for a turbo motor im guessing the set up would be intake/downpipe/cat-back exhaust

so the setup for our cars would be something like this..chip/downpipe/cat back exhaust and an intake or just maybe a filter

i just dont see how people think an intake wont help

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
^^^ Not drastic enough to justify the cost. 8-10HP if that and most tests done with CAI in the past on VW's /Audi's done have not proven themsleves worthy vs a drop in aftermarket filter element in the stock airbox configuration.
More Bling than gain honestly!

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
Wild Hare said:
^^^ Not drastic enough to justify the cost. 8-10HP if that and most tests done with CAI in the past on VW's /Audi's done have not proven themsleves worthy vs a drop in aftermarket filter element in the stock airbox configuration.
More Bling than gain honestly!

ah well maybe not the cost of a carbino or whatever it is...but a cheaper CAI or even a filter would be sufficent...and thats only costing u 60-75$

but saying intakes in general or filters are useless and wont get u gains in just wrong

redGTI

Axis Motoring
Car(s)
02 & 08 GTI, 08 M3
From my experience with my MK4 1.8t, a K&N (or other high-flow) filter will more than duplicate the best performing "cold air" intake. The reason for this is that regardless of where you draw the air in, when it gets to the turbo it gets very HOT. So your money would be better spent cooling the air after it leaves the turbo and before it goes into the engine. The stock intercooler is very efficient for this with the stock turbo configuration.When the BIG turbo kits come out, the cars will benefit from better (more) intercooler due to the higher volume of air being pumped into the engine. So having said all that your cold air intake money is better served going into an exhaust kit...:thumbsup:

DBCPerformance

OEM & AFTERMARKET PARTS
Car(s)
An Imaginary GT2
redGTI said:
From my experience with my MK4 1.8t, a K&N (or other high-flow) filter will more than duplicate the best performing "cold air" intake. The reason for this is that regardless of where you draw the air in, when it gets to the turbo it gets very HOT. So your money would be better spent cooling the air after it leaves the turbo and before it goes into the engine. The stock intercooler is very efficient for this with the stock turbo configuration.When the BIG turbo kits come out, the cars will benefit from better (more) intercooler due to the higher volume of air being pumped into the engine. So having said all that your cold air intake money is better served going into an exhaust kit...:thumbsup:

anything that gets more air inside is good, i have not noticed big power gains from my Carbonio, but better throttle response, it completes the tbe perfectly, and a larger intercooler is in the mod path, regardless, stock turbo or bigger turbo.

MMD

Oval Champion
from my own experience, an aftermarket filter removes the stock filter restriction especially at high RPM, it really works out and u can feel that a small push at high RPM which is sometimes let u move a step forward while racing..

the benefit of the aftermarket filter at high rpm only which it's just enough for me....

kn Typhoon filter on Mitsubishi Lance GLXI

AxMan

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
Audi S5
i actually found with my neuspeed intake that boost pressure has gone up about 1-2 psi steady. used to hold at 10 psi with stock intake and now it holds at 11.5 to 12 psi..

Jac

Passed Driver's Ed
I can say the air will be more smooth via Carbonia Intake to engine, but you just can feel very a bit fresh in 1st gear.......and Carbonia intake can make you more sensetive in highway speed. and the sound will be a "wuuuuuuuuuuuu" compare with ori . ........
above just my experience .................don't xxxx me if any incorrect. XDDDDD

Stasis

E-Thug
Car(s)
MKV GTI
An intake is such an inexpensive mod that even if the gains are minimal, it's not a bad thing to do. When added up to the chip and a TBE, I think it's worth it. Plus, there's not much else we can do atm, unless you wanna spend a mini-fortune on APR's K04 kit.

Also, if you're wanting a spacer for the "whoosh" sound, an intake will noticeably increase that sound.

S

LivEToDrivE

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Will I get a harder whoosh with the spacer, even if just a drop in filter is used? Because for 50 bucks thats not bad if I should expect minimal gains from a full cold air system