GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cheap rear bumper mod? Worth it?

GTIFTW

I'm Luvin it...
Was thinking about getting the fiberglass (already primed version, not CF) and attaching it to my painted bumper after I paint the OSIR peice gloss black. It's hard to find threads on this part but I've read you either attach it with a special adhesive or crazy double sided tape. It's a lot cheaper than getting an R32 bumper and changing my exhaust or a different bumper from a bodykit. Has anyone heard anything about the quality of this product and any honest opinions (positive or negative)? I kinda like it but if it cracks easily or doesn't stick to the bumper properly then I don't want any part of it.

http://www.osirusa.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=VGTI-DTMGT1-FG&Category_Code=VGTIEB

GTIFTW

I'm Luvin it...
Found a pic of what it would look like on a colour matched CW bumper like mine except the OSIR valence is still CF not gloss black (like how I want it).

goldn

capt. no dub
Car(s)
E91
The OSIR valence should just snap right in to the rear OEM bumper, after you remove the OEM lower valence.

should is the key word.
ask william (beanie), his is epoxied on and now riveted to hold it in place...

rsquadGTi

Most Hated Hater...
Car(s)
W204 C63/Porsche 911
I have it.... It doesn't snap right in...
You have to glue and drill it in. Do not use fast setting glue.... it'll be brittle and with the vibration and wind.... it'll fall off... Just like Will's, Nancy's and mine.

I then used a 24hr adhesive and tap 2 smalls screw at the very bottom corners where you can't see it. It's been perfectly fine all winter and summer long.

Oh and you need to cut the stock bumper =Op

But it'll look hella tight

GTIFTW

I'm Luvin it...
Thanks guys! I checked out Beanie's posts and saw what he did... my jaw dropped when I saw the valence kinda coming off in one of his MKV meet pics. Saw the 2 rivets on each side too. Kinda looks weird. I would have painted the rivets black to make them blend in.

rsquadgti that rear looks really good!!! I love the quad exhaust with the OSIR rear (too bad I don't want to touch my exhaust) but that's the look I'm exactly looking for. That little piece with the 2 fins really completes the rear end of a stock colour matched bumper at a cheap price, especially how it looks on a CW. Did you document how you did it? Which product brands did you use for sticking on the damn thing and can you post pics of where the screws are exactly and where you cut the stock bumper? My whole rear bumper is painted white (even where the OSIR valence should go) will that make a difference? Looks like a perfect fit in that picture. I'd love to do if I could make it full proof like yours. Any more pics?

rsquadGTi

Most Hated Hater...
Car(s)
W204 C63/Porsche 911
Thanks guys! I checked out Beanie's posts and saw what he did... my jaw dropped when I saw the valence kinda coming off in one of his MKV meet pics. Saw the 2 rivets on each side too. Kinda looks weird. I would have painted the rivets black to make them blend in.

rsquadgti that rear looks really good!!! I love the quad exhaust with the OSIR rear (too bad I don't want to touch my exhaust) but that's the look I'm exactly looking for. That little piece with the 2 fins really completes the rear end of a stock colour matched bumper at a cheap price, especially how it looks on a CW. Did you document how you did it? Which product brands did you use for sticking on the damn thing and can you post pics of where the screws are exactly and where you cut the stock bumper? My whole rear bumper is painted white (even where the OSIR valence should go) will that make a difference? Looks like a perfect fit in that picture. I'd love to do if I could make it full proof like yours. Any more pics?

Nancy's fits better than mine hahahaha. I used all weather automotive adhesive (comes in a tube and you need to you a caulking gun to apply. It's clear and you can get it at Crappy Tire.

For the single outlet exhaust you'll have to cut around where the exhaust tips are.... When you get the piece and test fit it... you'll see what I'm saying.

I used gobs of it at the top. You don't have to use the whole tube but blob it on enough so you know it's making contact on both the osir part and your bumper.

Your painted bumper should be fine as long as the paint shop did a really good job. You don't want teh adhesive pulling the paint off causing the osir part to fall off.

Screws go on the very bottom very end corners on the left and right.

When you apply the glue stuff boxes under the car or large pieces of foam or Styrofoam. just to hold it up and put pressure for the glue to set adn mate properly.

I'll look for more pics when I get home and post them up.

Beanie

Ready to race!

You saw the pic(s) of my car in this forum? :iono:

If you see my car in person, those rivets on the OSIR CF rear valence are not as weird/odd you think. I am even suggested to put more rivets on it.

It looks like I am not the only one who has fitment problem, especially the CF rear valence of OSIR, Pierre and Nancy are no exception. After the second attempt of holding it in place with adhesive, I give it up and take the suggestion from the body shop I am dealing, which the techs suggest me to put rivets-stainless steel one to hold it in place.

I got those rivets, washers and nuts at Home Depot.

Beanie

Ready to race!
Regarding the title of your(OP) thread, I would not consider the OEM rear bumper painted to match the body colour plus the OSIR CF rear valence are cheap, when compared to the Votex kit or the other brand of body kits.

The paint job for the rear bumper cost you at least $300 (mine cost $350) + the cost of the CF valence (US$460).

GTIFTW

I'm Luvin it...
Got "all lowers" (front, side skirts, and rear) not just the rear removed, sanded smoothed, primed, colour match painted, clear coated, and reinstalled for $300 cash when everyone was raving about the recession and crap at a VW recommended body shop. Plus the fiberglass version of the OSIR single outlet exhaust is only $249 primed (I could paint and install). Don't want CF look just gloss black.

So if you think about it for the 4 lower peices to be colour match painted cost me about $75 bucks each. So doing my back end with the OSIR valence would cost me roughly under $400 bucks and give me a nice clean look that I'm looking for (nothing too aggressive but different).

Everyone has their own tastes and I don't like the votex rear bumper and haven't considered any other body kit except the R32 rear conversion which would probably cost a bit more since I would have to change my exhaust as well as the bumper and valence. The alternative for me in particular that "I" like the best is to slap on a custom painted fiberglass OSIR valence to complete the back end and call it a day.

I like how the OSIR valence looks on your car Beanie but the rivets look out of place to me cause they stick out (your car has dark colours and the rivets "pop" cause they are light silver) just like how I personally don't like rivets in that MKV widebody kit floating around here. It's just my opinion. All that matters is that you like it. In fact I would probably put rivets in the OSIR valence like you if I had too but for me I would colour match the rivets so they don't stick out so much.

yvrnycracer

Never has enough power...
Fiber Glass = Fail...

It never fits properly and always is poor quality