GOLFMKV

Changing Tails Had question about VAG-COM

N8_DUB

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI 6spd
I bought some of these today:

http://www.tmtuning.com/HOME/catalog/product_detail.php?default_product=1054

I was wondering if anyone knew if they would work at all before I got them VAG-COM'd???

I know the guy in sales told me they need to be done at the dealer, but he never said anything about if they would work without.

Just so you know, I will have to put them on the car before I can drive it to the dealer. That is why I am asking.

Thanks for the help.
N8

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
The Eurospec R32 ones? Yeah if you don't have them Vag Com'd and just plug them in, they act just like the North American spec lights. I had mine that way for at least 6 months before I got around to re-wiring them and what not. Just don't re-wire them before you're able to do the coding because then they won't work properly.

Edit: I guess I could've looked at the link first. I'm guessing those have the same style turn signals as the N/A ones i.e. not amber like the Euro R32 ones? If so, then they should work just fine and then it's up to you if you want the functionality of the rear fog (trigger wire into Euroswitch and recoding).

N8_DUB

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI 6spd
The Eurospec R32 ones? Yeah if you don't have them Vag Com'd and just plug them in, they act just like the North American spec lights. I had mine that way for at least 6 months before I got around to re-wiring them and what not. Just don't re-wire them before you're able to do the coding because then they won't work properly.

Edit: I guess I could've looked at the link first. I'm guessing those have the same style turn signals as the N/A ones i.e. not amber like the Euro R32 ones? If so, then they should work just fine and then it's up to you if you want the functionality of the rear fog (trigger wire into Euroswitch and recoding).

I'm not positive on the exact specs. I DO know I am going to test them before I go to the shop, I just wanted to make sure my Fast wasn't going to spontaneously combust due to the wiring being USA Vs. Euro. :p

But yeah, IDK if they are the same as the R32 tails... They look it, but that means absolutely nothing in the automobile industry.

Thank you though.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Yeah, well what do you mean go to the shop? Like have them do the wiring of the rear foglight? From what TM Tuning said, it only looks like the rear fog is there which requires the wiring.

LeesburgMKV

gold n' black
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
I had these tail lights. They work fine without vagcom. You'll just need to figure out the rear foglight part. I never did that. I just used them as is.

N8_DUB

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI 6spd
I'll wire the rear fog, that's not tough.

I was more worried about if I could make it to the dealer for the VAG without getting pulled over for no tail lights.

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
euro rear fog light

which part is the fog light ?

The rear fog is the inside fixture on the drivers side. You lose a backup light to the rear fog function.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
For severe weather such as fog, a blizzard, heavy rain, etc. I've used it for tailgaters too and that seems to slow them down.

N8_DUB

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI 6spd
I can always re-wire the missing fog, if it gets that frustrating to me... Come to think of it, with my tinted windows, it is hard sometimes to back out of my driveway in the morning without rolling my window down to see... Sometimes that's not the funnest thing to have to do....

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Yeah I've got 20% on all 4 side windows and 5% on the hatch. Definitely can't see much especially with only one back up light. Whatever though, I use my foglight pretty often so it's worth it.

N8_DUB

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI 6spd
I can't either... I think I will go without the rear fog lighting to start and eventually wire it when I figure out how else I want them wired. Because, I want all 4 "Oo (v) oO" to light red (inside light housings as well) which will require additional wiring like the rear fog. But I want them to look good, so it may take some time to research first..

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
added inner lights wiring suggestion (VAG-COM required)

I can't either... I think I will go without the rear fog lighting to start and eventually wire it when I figure out how else I want them wired. Because, I want all 4 "Oo (v) oO" to light red (inside light housings as well) which will require additional wiring like the rear fog. But I want them to look good, so it may take some time to research first..

I have a suggestion on the wiring.

I have been considering this for a while - some background ... I have added a rear fog and messed around in this area's wiring and programming. For those who might not be aware, as delivered in all markets including US, the left and right backup lights are independently wired. The left side backup light may be redefined to new function with a pin swap and VAG-COM, allowing it to operate independently of the right side backup light.

I am saving to add LEDs to the inner reflectors. LED tails are already set up to accept them, the flat spots in the reflectors line up with euro LED tails outer fixture LED ring (removed from its fixture). Jetta or Golf outer LED rings will line up with this Golf inner fixture.

As part of adding the LEDs, I will disassemble the inner fixtures. I will remove the red rear fog lens while it is disassembled, regaining two backup lights.

I will share my wiring plan with you - most of it will apply.
Such a set up provides an interesting simpler wiring option that provides VAG-COM programming the illumination level of just these new inner LEDs.

Step 1, follow the DIY for rear fog enable. This process will manipulate a little used option of the rear fog circuit.
Step 2, electrically disconnect rear fog bulb (now converted backup light) from factory harness.
Connect left-side backup light bulb to the right side backup light so both share the same right side backup light circuit. (with the dual color LEDs, I will also jumper the yellow circuit into the backup lights).

BTW This wiring is much easier if you pull the hatch inner cover. (it is a pain to pop free)

Step 3, connect the now available rear fog circuit to all your new inner red bulbs.

Beyond the simple factory changes for rear fog, there are no new wires to run outside the ones under the rear hatch cover. This method keeps the new lights isolated from the safety critical outer lights.

Step 5, Last, but no least, get a VAG-COM and change the following Vehicle Electrical System Controller J519 (aka Central Electrical Controller) setting, try 10% to start, adjust to match (Dec: 10)

Byte 10, use the decimal entry field

(I have tested and confirmed the parking light backup function with a normal rear fog.)

Now, every time your outer rear parking lights illuminate, so will your new inner lights. Normal head light switch control, will even work with the stock switch.

New lights are on their own isolated circuit where they can't easily interfere with your important lights if they get wet and short, etc. :wink:

And then if you should install and wire a euro switch, pulling it to the rear fog position will jump them to 100% and you have dual rear fogs. :eyebulge: while retaiining dual back up lights :wink: all with normal factory controls :thumbsup:

PS - The LEDs I plan to use will satisfy the lamp out sensors. If your new inner bulbs do not consume enough to satisfy the lamp out sensor on the fog circuit, a resistor may need to be added. I have done this as well when I experimented with LED bulbs in backup light fixtures (waste of time). With the hatch cover off, there are good safe places to mount a sensor bypass.

switch - resistor - splice – the resistor is on the other side of the metal inner panel, just the rivets holding it in place are visible