GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

cell after install of downpipe, expected..

shadowgti12

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2012 GTI
Hello all, just installed a SPM down pipe and I am installing a spacer for cell on o2 sensor. will the cell disapear without any further action or do I have to go to dealer or alternative shop to reset ..:help:

Fernas

Mexibahn Native
Car(s)
MKV GLI "Red Baron"
50-50 chance with the spacer, if you are already on Stage 1 software, S2 will make sure the CEL is gone and a slight (if any) increase in power after the DP install, most gains comes from the DP though.

brian9892

Ramblin' Wreck
Pretty sure most of the power gains come from the software, not the downpipe

T0neyDanza

Banned
Car(s)
2007 4 door GTI
Check engine light light?

Fernas

Mexibahn Native
Car(s)
MKV GLI "Red Baron"

Fernas

Mexibahn Native
Car(s)
MKV GLI "Red Baron"

Do some search man, most gains comes from the hardware in the case of a downpipe, do you think all the people that has been going catless and increasing the diameter of the exhaust/downpipe are wrong??? Most people don´t have access to reprogramming their ECU´s, but the gains are still there, on the MKV our ECU´s are adaptive, the increased flow along with the lower EGT´s are taken into account by the ECU then timing advance occurs, IF you are already on stage 1 you already have a boost level that takes advantage of a downpipe and make some power out of it, even on stock tune you may find gains, stop buying all the information that comes from the dealers and do some investigation first.

On my own car i had the DP about 3 days before the Stage 2 update, i was at Stage 1 + Downpipe, the gains were there almost from the minute the DP was installed, additional 3psi on my boost gauge and great top end power, the Stage 2 tune basically removed the CEL and gave me very little gains (if any).

shadowgti12

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2012 GTI
Do some search man, most gains comes from the hardware in the case of a downpipe, do you think all the people that has been going catless and increasing the diameter of the exhaust/downpipe are wrong??? Most people don´t have access to reprogramming their ECU´s, but the gains are still there, on the MKV our ECU´s are adaptive, the increased flow along with the lower EGT´s are taken into account by the ECU then timing advance occurs, IF you are already on stage 1 you already have a boost level that takes advantage of a downpipe and make some power out of it, even on stock tune you may find gains, stop buying all the information that comes from the dealers and do some investigation first.

On my own car i had the DP about 3 days before the Stage 2 update, i was at Stage 1 + Downpipe, the gains were there almost from the minute the DP was installed, additional 3psi on my boost gauge and great top end power, the Stage 2 tune basically removed the CEL and gave me very little gains (if any).

HEY, all I am asking is that if I install a SPACER, will my cell go away. I am planing on upgrading from stock to stage 1. And also I do see a small increase in hp. Its obvious if you increase the size of your exhaust it free's up the flow. I just wanted an opinion if this would remove the cell.

Fernas

Mexibahn Native
Car(s)
MKV GLI "Red Baron"
HEY, all I am asking is that if I install a SPACER, will my cell go away. I am planing on upgrading from stock to stage 1. And also I do see a small increase in hp. Its obvious if you increase the size of your exhaust it free's up the flow. I just wanted an opinion if this would remove the cell.

I did cover that in my first response, some say its a 50-50 chance of clearing the CEL, most people dont want the hassle and move to stage 2, because is free or almost free most of the time.

brian9892

Ramblin' Wreck
Of course a larger diameter pipe and the deletion of the cat is going to yield some increase over stock, but no it doesn't make up the majority of the gains when going stage 2. If the ecu was that adaptive, tuning companies wouldn't bother having stage 2 software to begin with. The larger diameter pipe allows for the more aggressive tune to be run more safely, but the tune is where most of the power comes from