GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Can DSG survive APR Stage 3?

maolin34

Passed Driver's Ed
I have been reading everything I can about this subject, and can't seem to find a clear answer. If someone knows of a thread that contains this info, please link me to it.

I am hours away from selecting my first GTI. DSG or Manual is my last decision, and the APR ECU upgrade is hopefully in my future...I will also add intake, exhaust, fuel over time.

Bottom line....will DSG handle 400 lb-ft?

MKvUltra

I'm chasing perfection
Car(s)
your mom

TOE_FAST

www.TonyScavo.com
Car(s)
2007 MKV Fahrenheit
If you are going for that kind of WHP/Torque just go manual transmission - its cheaper in the long run than any repair to a DSG - I want to eventually get to 300 lb/ft and around 250-275WHP in mine and even that makes me nervous when it comes to reliability with the DSG and engine.

I have heard of DSG's going up into that territory and there are threads here that discuss that ( but not devoted to ) IMO i think its a substantial risk and you are better off with manual if you are going B/T and entering the 400lb/ft territory.

Good luck

TOE_FAST

www.TonyScavo.com
Car(s)
2007 MKV Fahrenheit

maolin34

Passed Driver's Ed
APR S3...

Checked out that link to APR. Thanks!

I think I would probably be ok with 325 lb-ft. I've got an email into APR.

Thanks for the quick responses and opinions! I'll post what I find out.

CGigon@APR

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW GTI
Guys,

The DSG is more than up to the task for handling the stg3 power levels. We have done a lot of testing with our in house DSG STG 3 A3, we have put a lot of miles on it and it has seen some track use. The DSG is holding up just fine and to me it is A LOT of fun with the stg3. I would recommend DSG with Stg3 any day. Manual is fun too, but it comes down to where you live and what not, manual transmission does get old sometimes.

I would recommend changing the DSG fluid and filter every 20-25K miles, this should help with shifting and the reliabilty of the transmission.

maolin34

Passed Driver's Ed
DSG - Question Answered.

Thanks APR for the quick answer.

I will likely build up to STG 3, but glad to know that you've hammered on
the DSG tranny and it has handled it well.

I would probably change the fluid as often anyway, could you make a quick
recommendation on fluid choice? (Brand)

Thanks all!

TOE_FAST

www.TonyScavo.com
Car(s)
2007 MKV Fahrenheit
Guys,

The DSG is more than up to the task for handling the stg3 power levels. We have done a lot of testing with our in house DSG STG 3 A3, we have put a lot of miles on it and it has seen some track use. The DSG is holding up just fine and to me it is A LOT of fun with the stg3. I would recommend DSG with Stg3 any day. Manual is fun too, but it comes down to where you live and what not, manual transmission does get old sometimes.

I would recommend changing the DSG fluid and filter every 20-25K miles, this should help with shifting and the reliabilty of the transmission.

Not to bust your balls.....but.....

That A3 only has 16k miles - I have a 2007 FSI thats already creeping up on 50k miles ( thats a lot of miles ) I wouldnt exactly consider 16k miles (assuming you put on all those mods with zero miles on the car - did you?) a lot of miles and tout the DSG as failsafe at that power level.

And speaking of the power levels - the OP said he wanted 400 lb/ft of Torque and asked if the DSG could handle THAT...your A3 only has 322 lb/ft of torque - thats a far cry from 400, right? even your HP is only 382 (still 18 shy of 400)

Not saying anything negative about your research, I just think until you guys have put THE car that the OP is talking about building through the 400lb/ft of torque paces - then maybe you shouldnt make those claims, or if you do - then back it up with some kind of warrenty.

Quid pro quo - your turn :)

CGigon@APR

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW GTI
Use OEM brand fluid.

TOE_FAST,

The A3 has been put through enough tests, we don't pound on these cars day in and day out, we drive them like any normal customer would, with some track days, spirited driving and the occasional 1/4 mile track days.

To ease your concern, we do also have a DSG GTI here that is running stg3 with 100 mode and water/meth and it is a personal car of one of the employees. His DSG has 60K miles on it, with 25K of them being stg3 running water/meth daily and 100 octane at the track as much as he can. As you may or may not know our stg3 100 file makes 404whp, i think this should be enough to satisfy your concern.

Thanks for the input though! ;)

dpham00

Modérateur Emeritus
there is always an inherent risk in modding. though far and few between, some have reported stock trannies going bad. Put it this way, if you come into the dealer with an APR S3 kit, then good luck getting them to warranty it. If you want to mod, then make sure that you're willing to pony up in case the mod causes a failure.

TOE_FAST

www.TonyScavo.com
Car(s)
2007 MKV Fahrenheit
Use OEM brand fluid.

TOE_FAST,

The A3 has been put through enough tests, we don't pound on these cars day in and day out, we drive them like any normal customer would, with some track days, spirited driving and the occasional 1/4 mile track days.

To ease your concern, we do also have a DSG GTI here that is running stg3 with 100 mode and water/meth and it is a personal car of one of the employees. His DSG has 60K miles on it, with 25K of them being stg3 running water/meth daily and 100 octane at the track as much as he can. As you may or may not know our stg3 100 file makes 404whp, i think this should be enough to satisfy your concern.

Thanks for the input though! ;)

Dpham - Agreed ... thats pretty much the point I was trying to make. I think the average forum driver beats on their car more than you might think - thats mainly why I posted.

I too have heard both good and bad stories from the stock camp and the mod camp - pay to play as we say.

I suggested the Manual simply because of the "pay to play" Murphy's law ... DSG IS more expensive to repair than a manual tranny, so when you are going into relatively deep waters - why risk it? get something thats been proven to over 500 WHP - Manual FTW