GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cam Follower...Would you replace this?

zcspec

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MQB S3
This week, I will be upgrading to the APR Stage 2+ setting which includes DP, intake, & HPFP. During the processes of taking out my stock HPFP, I inspected the current cam follower.

Here is what I see...

The questions is...would you guys replace this with the install of the APR HPFP? I can pick up a new OEM follower, but would prefer KMD's follower with Armolgy (which I cant get under next week). BTW, it has 30K miles on it.

adamgti

Trust me, I'm an engineer
Car(s)
07 CW GTI 4 dr
Yes might as well replace it, it's cheap insurance and you've already got some metal on metal contact with that follower, the rest will wear through a bit quicker, especially when stage 2+

adamgti

Trust me, I'm an engineer
Car(s)
07 CW GTI 4 dr
But I'm sure you can get one more week out of that follower, sorry, sort of misunderstood your question, I think that's what you're asking?

Savir04

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07'/CW/6MT/FSI
..Bro trust me change it, I bought my car with 33k on it...one day I randomly pulled out the hpfp and found my cam follower had a hole right thru it, like a gun shot it in the middle, my intake cam was also fuked...I was scared man, my intake cam could've blown up any moment and blah there goes the whole engine..I got luky I have a friend at VW that fixed it for me under warranty, they had to replace the hpfp, the whole intake cam, and cam follower....now I check my cam follower evry 5k and change it every 10-15k depending on wear....I think 15k on a cam follower is pushing it...10k on a cam follower should be enough to change it...I can't stress how important these cam followers are even if your stock....good luck my friend

Chris@RT

Banned

That ring between the oil holes is where the follower fails. The coating does not look horrible but honestly really hard to say in the pic. The state of the coating doesn't tell you dick about the life left of the follower despite what you'll find here.

What you do see in this picture is that ring which indicates that the follower has been stressed/weakened in the point of failure and based on that it would make sense to replace it.

zcspec

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MQB S3
Looks like I'll be heading to Audi/VW to pick up a new cam follower before installing the APR HPFP. . Yes, much better piece of mind and takes me literally 2 seconds to drop in a new one. I'll probably end up checking it every other oil change, IE 10K miles just to verify that it's still safe to run.

Thanks for all the input guys. My previous MKV blew the follower/cam within 10miles of buying it used. Thank God the dealer nutted up and took responsibility. I wont make the same mistake twice.

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
change it