GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Break wear sensor?

sacman

Ready to race!
I just replaced the rear pads on my 08' GTI after 40K miles. The front is barely 1/3 worn but the rear pads are like 1mm left. My cousin asked me if the sensor came up but I never saw it. When I changed the pads, I also didn't see any sensors on the pads like in BMWs. So, is there break pad wear sensors on MKV and where are they? Normally, on my BMW E30, there's one sensor on each axle (rear and front) and you replace it at the same time you replace the pads. This is my first VW so I'm a little clueless.

QN

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
I just replaced the rear pads on my 08' GTI after 40K miles. The front is barely 1/3 worn but the rear pads are like 1mm left. My cousin asked me if the sensor came up but I never saw it. When I changed the pads, I also didn't see any sensors on the pads like in BMWs. So, is there break pad wear sensors on MKV and where are they? Normally, on my BMW E30, there's one sensor on each axle (rear and front) and you replace it at the same time you replace the pads. This is my first VW so I'm a little clueless.

QN

VW mk5 only has one brake sensor, it is on the front left, inboard and it is part of the pad.
Rears are not monitored, so or coarse they will wear out faster than the fronts :wink:

nicolasl46

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW GTI MkVI
Yeah, I don't really like that. Aside from the fact that the rear pads wear a lot faster, the freaking sensor is located on the front :iono: I think I'll better pull my rear wheel and check. Even though my dealer checked pads on my 20k service a month ago, I'll better doulbe check, I really don't trust those guys

sacman

Ready to race!
Thanks for the info. I definitely recommend checking the rear pads. They do fade much faster. The inner pads were actually worse than the outer ones. Mine were litterally a few hundred miles from the metal plate.

darkorb

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 Rabbit
i changed my rear pads/rotors/fluid at 40,000KM!

xXANCHORMONXx

Banned
Car(s)
2003 EVO GSR
First of all the gti's brakes suck, I loved them until I drove a g37..
But a while back people complained about squeaky brakes so VW put softer pads on the rear which is why they wear down so fast. If I were you I would go buy some Hawk HPS pads they around 160 for the whole set and you will not have that problem plus you will have more bite...

sacman

Ready to race!
First of all the gti's brakes suck, I loved them until I drove a g37..
But a while back people complained about squeaky brakes so VW put softer pads on the rear which is why they wear down so fast. If I were you I would go buy some Hawk HPS pads they around 160 for the whole set and you will not have that problem plus you will have more bite...

I agreed. I went with Hawk HPS and couldn't be happier.

QN