GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brake pads shifting in caliper

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
This is why alot of shops only install OEM pads, they always have proper tolerances which reduce issues like this.

Yes, stick with OEM....but better pads TRW TPC-1633 are a clean/quiet ceramic version of our dusty OEM pad.

Hyperlite

Go Kart Newbie
For anyone else with this issue, the Centric rep that I spoke to had a suggestion for a temporary fix until they can design a proper fitting pad.

Basically you bend up the metal tab on the shim, insert a small piece of metal (the approx thickness of the amount the pad can move up and down) in between the shim and the backing plate. Then squeeze the tab back down to hold the metal piece in place. I even put some JB Weld in there to ensure it wouldn’t fall out.

It has significantly reduced the issue for me to the point where it is tolerable until I can find a more permanent solution.(y)
A511307F-7E64-4F92-B982-2CA50FD44732.jpeg

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
For anyone else with this issue, the Centric rep that I spoke to had a suggestion for a temporary fix until they can design a proper fitting pad.

Basically you bend up the metal tab on the shim, insert a small piece of metal (the approx thickness of the amount the pad can move up and down) in between the shim and the backing plate. Then squeeze the tab back down to hold the metal piece in place. I even put some JB Weld in there to ensure it wouldn’t fall out.

It has significantly reduced the issue for me to the point where it is tolerable until I can find a more permanent solution.(y)View attachment 189620

So many of the aftermarket brake pads for the PP brakes are like that. Why the hell don't they just make the pads bigger?

mayhem_j30

Passed Driver's Ed
I also have the centric posi-quiet pads on PP brakes and get the direction change clunk. It's lessened over time and is likely related to crud build up between the caliper and pad. If a redesign comes out I'll pick up the new pads, but I like this compound enough and the issue isn't bad enough to switch back to OE. The super low dusting and linear pedal feel is fantastic for street driving.

Last edited:

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
If there was a ceramic OEM option I would of been all over it. I'll look into the TRW pads, thanks.
I’ve had two sets of front TRW pads (for PP / R brakes) and both have rattled like mad. Fine in the beginning but over a series of months they rattled any time I hit a bump. Extremely annoying. I switched to the isweep pads recently. Triple the price of TRW but I couldn’t take the noise so hopefully these remain quiet. If they do it will be well worth it.

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
I’ve had two sets of front TRW pads (for PP / R brakes) and both have rattled like mad.
That's odd, you would think the OEM manufacturer would be the perfect fit.
My TRW TPC-1633 brake pads are impressive and doing great. Even used them on the race track(autoX one lap timed) (not recommended but they did well, even over 1000*F...hence the bluing. I actually was shocked they didn't glaze over. For a daily, they're fantastic!

Attachments

• 18550465-38F5-4B1F-8434-55503A89E550.jpeg
    18550465-38F5-4B1F-8434-55503A89E550.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 120
Last edited:

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
That's odd, you would think the OEM manufacturer would be the perfect fit.
My TRW TPC-1633 brake pads are impressive and doing great. Even used them on the race track(autoX one lap timed) (not recommended but they did well, even over 1000*F...hence the bluing. I actually was shocked they didn't glaze over. For a daily, there fantastic!
Agreed I scratched my head on it as well. Glad to hear you have had success!

w124_karl

Ready to race!
My OEM pads shift in the carriers when the car changes direction backward/forward. Thought it was my imagination but I’m convinced that’s what’s going on. Sounds like the rears.

Drincc

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI
So many of the aftermarket brake pads for the PP brakes are like that. Why the hell don't they just make the pads bigger?

Manufacturing tolerance, probably. If they made the backing tolerance too tight, there's an off chance that the pad could get cocked in the bracket and not move properly. Knowing Toyota OEM pads myself, they have room to shift for that purpose. I ran Centrics in a vehicle I had before and they clattered at lower speeds. Wrote it off as part of the game with aftermarket pads.