GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bilstein B8 MKV vs MKVI versions

EvoIII

Ready to race!
Anymore feedback on the Bilstein B8s in terms of overall performance and comfort for road use.? There was some information about the MKVI version being " better".

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I did a bit of reading and there seemed to be a common theme about both. The MKV version was stiff, very stiff. The MKVI version was considered more compliant. I went with the MKVI version and they are much stiffer than stock and much stiffer than the Koni FSD I had been running just prior. For me, they are at the edge of what a good daily driver should feel like, and for me that is perfect. Handling is superb, the ride comfort is generally very good, but when you cross irregularities in the road, passengers will definitely notice where you as a daily driver of the vehicle will not.

I am extremely happy with my suspension setup and the car handles quite nicely even at very high speeds. Bilstein B8 (MK6), Eibach sways, Eibach Sportline springs, WALK and all the other poly bushing available, Tyrol subframe kit and Goodyear F1 225/40/18

And these shocks accommodate the shorter springs perfectly so you get full travel and I don't believe I have ever hit the bump stops. The stance with this setup is just perfect for a daily, you clear just about everything by a millimeter..

I would give them a 10 out of 10 for a daily driver.

djunited

Ready to race!
I purchased the mkv b8s, why? Becausehardcorerackor.
No seriously they shipped me mkvs instead of mk6s.:thumbdown:

barische

Go Kart Champion
Conpression of bilstein is actually pretty high n h&r sports spring rates r too low for these dampers.. I think ride would be just as good w/ much better handling with race springs.. Ride comfort is mostly dependent on damper stiffness on this setup so race springs probly be a better match with bilstein mkv b8.

On my rss setup w/ 400# front. There was absolutely no suspension travel. Meaning no droop so big dips - u met the ceiling.

Also u want to control body roll via spring rate not through damper.. When using bilsteins n h&r sports it feels like i am using dampers more so than the springs.

EvoIII

Ready to race!
Conpression of bilstein is actually pretty high n h&r sports spring rates r too low for these dampers.. I think ride would be just as good w/ much better handling with race springs.. Ride comfort is mostly dependent on damper stiffness on this setup so race springs probly be a better match with bilstein mkv b8.

On my rss setup w/ 400# front. There was absolutely no suspension travel. Meaning no droop so big dips - u met the ceiling.

Also u want to control body roll via spring rate not through damper.. When using bilsteins n h&r sports it feels like i am using dampers more so than the springs.

I am also considering the PSS which is height adjustable but the dampers are not adjustable as opposed to the PSS10s. I do not take my vehicle to the track and the cost difference is about $1000.

EvoIII

Ready to race!
I did a bit of reading and there seemed to be a common theme about both. The MKV version was stiff, very stiff. The MKVI version was considered more compliant. I went with the MKVI version and they are much stiffer than stock and much stiffer than the Koni FSD I had been running just prior. For me, they are at the edge of what a good daily driver should feel like, and for me that is perfect. Handling is superb, the ride comfort is generally very good, but when you cross irregularities in the road, passengers will definitely notice where you as a daily driver of the vehicle will not.

I am extremely happy with my suspension setup and the car handles quite nicely even at very high speeds. Bilstein B8 (MK6), Eibach sways, Eibach Sportline springs, WALK and all the other poly bushing available, Tyrol subframe kit and Goodyear F1 225/40/18

And these shocks accommodate the shorter springs perfectly so you get full travel and I don't believe I have ever hit the bump stops. The stance with this setup is just perfect for a daily, you clear just about everything by a millimeter..

We have similar vehicles:cool:. I am also considering the PSS version which is non adjustable(heigh adjustable only) as opposed to the PSS10s. It is about a $1000 difference.

djunited

Ready to race!
Driving impressions?

Handles great with full bsh mounts ,walk and hpa puck with sways both on hard. Not everyones cup of tea for a DD though.

xatnys360

Ready to race!

So what would you recommend? I've also got H&R Sport springs and I was considering MKVI Bilstein Sports...

EvoIII

Ready to race!

Did anyone also change their " end links" and what other parts are worth the time and money when replacing shocks/struts and springs?

phil

becausephilchow
Car(s)
2009 VW R32
I had Bilstein B8s and H&R Sports on my car.

They bottomed out from time to time, on larger bumps if I was taking them at a higher speed and what-not.

They rode nicely, but I wouldn't get them again. They came with the car, so I had no say really, lol.

That being said, I think my new coilover setup rides nicer than the B8s. Both lowspeed and highspeed, even with them being significantly stiffer.

EvoIII

Ready to race!
I had Bilstein B8s and H&R Sports on my car.

They bottomed out from time to time, on larger bumps if I was taking them at a higher speed and what-not.

They rode nicely, but I wouldn't get them again. They came with the car, so I had no say really, lol.

That being said, I think my new coilover setup rides nicer than the B8s. Both lowspeed and highspeed, even with them being significantly stiffer.

Were they newer when you got them or well used? Most people find them rather stiff so I never imagined "bottoming out" would be an issue unless they had done a lot of miles/km (50000/80000) .What is your"new set up"?

barische

Go Kart Champion
So what would you recommend? I've also got H&R Sport springs and I was considering MKVI Bilstein Sports...

Get bilsteins over anything else (koni). Their quality is just amazing.. Granted they r stiffer.

If u want amazing track performance, u gotta go for something w/ high spring rates.. I tried rss kit which was awesome but just cant DD that setup..

I feel like we r all chasing that "unikorn" setup: amazing handling w/ good DD which doesnt exist - maybe pss10 w/ ground control camber plates.

I was at twisties w/ current setup - didnt push too hard but felt like rolling over outside too much. Retarded roll center need roll center correction ball joints + bit more static - camber from plates. Whoever engineer thought of putting fucking golf parts on shouldn't even be allowed to allowed near wolfsburg.. They already had designed tt knuckles they could have dig out of parts bin = assholes.

I think a good budget setup would be bilstein sport, h&r race springs, ground control camber plates