GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best on the Budget Coilovers?

09FrostWhiteGTI

09FrostWhiteGTI
Car(s)
2009 Volkswagen GTI
Hello guys I have been recently looking at some suspension mods for my 2009 GTI. I came across some person that was selling his H&R Super Sports for 50$, went to take a look at them and they were really worn out , so that didn't work. Now I am looking at some cheap coilovers. I have found FK Streetlines for 400$, RSK Street Plus also for 400$, Raceland Ultimos for same price. What do you think is the best Coilover overall in reliability and how long it would last,and in overall ride feel and looks. Which Coilover would you recommend for people on a tight budget or should I go Springs, and Stock Shock/Strut Route?

Goingnowherefast

Go Kart Champion
Are you looking to just go low? Or do you see some track use?

thebornotaku

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Car(s)
2009 Rabbit 2.5 S
Spend a little more and go Solo-Werks at the minimum. Racelands and FKs are $400 for a reason. Solo-werks are a little more and it shows. I think with new hardware all around, new bearings and 034 density upper mounts I was only in about 700-800 on my coilovers for my Rabbit. It tucks tire front and rear on 17" Khartoums.

Handling is okay, it's improved over stock but on stock bushings and sway bars it understeers like you'd expect. Still, corners a lot flatter.

Ride is notably stiffer but not uncomfortably so. I've been riding all the way down (adjusters and helper springs still in) for probably two months now and it's totally livable, just have to avoid speedbumps is all.

I mean you have a nice, pretty modern car that rides and handles pretty well stock, why eff that up by tossing some cheapo Racelands on it?

Or if you can afford to save up, get something even better like H&Rs or Konis or KWs.

09FrostWhiteGTI

09FrostWhiteGTI
Car(s)
2009 Volkswagen GTI
Are you looking to just go low? Or do you see some track use?

Mostly just for low, its not going to see a track day probably ever. I cant find any good springs that meet my needs of how low I want it , thats why I am trying to go the Coilover Route, only Springs I would get would be H&R Super Sports, but then you would have to change the stock shock and struts, much more of a hassle then just buying some decent Coilovers, that make it pretty low.

09FrostWhiteGTI

09FrostWhiteGTI
Car(s)
2009 Volkswagen GTI
If you wanna do some more reading for opinions/thoughts....this was just bumped on golfmk6.com about the same coilovers (same as MK5)....old post with new talk on Page 3+
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23670

Looks like every1 is praising the Solo-Werks S1 Coilovers for the MKV GTI, even though they are pretty identical to the FK Streetlines. I will probably be getting Solo Werks in the near future unless I find a good deal on FK's.

K03

Ridiculous.
Car(s)
MK5 GTI
I suggest you save for a couple months more than you would have normally and buy something more upscale. I have FK streetlines and I regret not saving ~$200-300 more and springing for some FK highsports/silverlines or Ksports.

That being said, FK streetlines and any coilover sub $500, are all rough riding or bouncy (or both). If your intent is to not drive aggressively in anyway and that you dont care if youre a bouncing ball jumping in your seat at any sign of road imperfection, then get something lower end. Otherwise get something worth the money, trust me those extra couple hundred bucks go a long way.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Looks like every1 is praising the Solo-Werks S1 Coilovers for the MKV GTI, even though they are pretty identical to the FK Streetlines. I will probably be getting Solo Werks in the near future unless I find a good deal on FK's.

Something to consider, while they are identical, the Solo's have a 3 year warranty & the FK Streetlines only have a 1 year warranty