GOLFMKV

Best helmet for the money?

AznRac3rPOI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2006 GTI

Maximum6

FASTER
tried on the G force pro force....and size medium was very tight...gave me a headache...size XL was not tight enough.

The shop didn't have a Large..so I guess the size with G force is Large for me...the guy told me there is no size in between . Just medium, large, xlarge

Still got to try on the pyrotect one ..

speedform

Ready to race!
coming from a motorcyclist perspective...arai is the best helmet. period. shoei is also a really good lid as well as bell.

there is some debate on snell vs dot ratings. now, in a car it may be a bit different as you aren't taking a curb shot to the head. helmets are a 1 shot deal. they destroy themselves on a proper impact. absorbing all the energy (or most of it), to save it from scrambling your brain. i'm not sure on the car side of ratings. just don't skimp on a helmet to save a few bucks. not worth it imho.

to quote the old bell add...

if you have a 10 dollar head....wear a 10 dollar helmet.

side note...if you check around shops you can get deals on closeout and year old models. i got my quantum for over 300 cheaper than retail.

nectar, good point you made regarding the single impact protection a motorcycle helmet offers. The difference between a good automotive race helmet and a motorcycle helmet is that auto helmets are designed to take multiple impacts (i.e. bouncing around a caged interior) in addition to the as mentioned fire protection.

Maximum6

FASTER
I finally tried on my size for G force and Pyrotect.

Anyway..I have one question. Was curious why these two companies have the "helmet restraint" apparatus...but other higher brand helmets don't come with it?

Sayemthree

Ready to race!
Grassroots just tested 5-6 top helmets. HJC came in first - only one to score 12 out of 12.

Maximum6

FASTER
I just got my pyrotect helmet.

Used it in my autox.

I have 2 questions.

1. What is a tearoff?

2. the sponge lining that lines up with my eye port is easily pealable. When it peals do I need to replace it? I was only given 1 spare of that sponge lining.

Maximum6

FASTER
I was looking towards the Arai as my NEXT helmet. (in 2010+ for the new ratings)

Was curious what the benefits are for the helmet?

GP-5
$1000
Pretty much the top dog of all the Auto arais

GP-5k
$700
Compared to GP-5:
-Larger eyeport
-Uses slightly heavier construction material but with same impact energy management
-Uses same shield,hardware,tearoffs
-Less ventilation

GP-5W
$800
Compared to GP-5/GP-5k:
-larger eyeport than both
-uses same light construction material as GP-5
-Uses its own exclusive shield because of larger eyeport
-Uses same hardware and tearoffs as GP-5/GP-5k
-More ventilation than GP-5k

Maximum6

FASTER
I don't know too much about Sk-5 besides that it is cheaper than all 3 above and that it is used in F-1, karting, and other open wheels.