GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ATTN: BSH + Race Catch Can Owners...

WickedLou9

I'm a geek
Car(s)
2008 GTI
there is a metal plate at the top of the can... with holes so i just put the steel wool in there... (the rest of the can seems like it's sealed)... i'm gonna try the finer stuff tomorrow.... it still smokes...

the smoking is normal.

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
BSH any comments? This is something I'm interested in purchasing, but I would like to know all the facts first.

IUjapander

Ready to race!
Bump back to the first page.

I would like to hear an official response as to if this is normal operation for the race can (the oil splattering that is).

mose6161

OUT OF COMMISION
Car(s)
MK5 GTI
for the love of god, call BSH, tell them about the problem.

they are real people who exist out side of forums.

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
X2 I never understand why people will make a thread before calling the company

I do. It's for the benefit of the community as a whole. People can share their personal experiences and vendors can comment on them. Yes of course call the company, but share the info. with the rest of us.

Angel@forge

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
06 A3 sport
My ls6 v8 with a pcv setup using a filter open to atmo, my supra, my 9 second civic, my...... well they all did this with race catch cans. So I don't want to step on Phil's toes, but I don't think you have anything to fear and all appears normal. Just that perhaps a race setup wasn't for you. The white smoke is mostly water vapor and yes you will more than likely have some oil mist on the surrounding parts immediately adjacent to the can after enough miles, also you may smell it if you have the windows down and are moving slowly or idling. You could feed it into a second can and vent that one. Usually catch most of it by that point.....

mose6161

OUT OF COMMISION
Car(s)
MK5 GTI
I do. It's for the benefit of the community as a whole. People can share their personal experiences and vendors can comment on them. Yes of course call the company, but share the info. with the rest of us.

yeah but how many times do you see someone post a question on here, wait a day or two, and then finally get a decent answer or just a huge garbled debate?

most of the time those people could call a dealership, a vendor, or scan with VAG COM and save themselves and everyone else on here a shit load of speculation, time, and nonsense.

it's information we're after, not speculation, and it's not a vendors top priority to answer everyone's little questions on a forum. with that being said though, i'd like to note BSH, Forge, and APR all do a very good job keeping us posted and answering our questions. i see Phil update the bsh development schedule after midnight sometimes, and different time zone or not, that's still pretty cool.

Justin@BSH

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I never come in this forum... Sorry I missed this.

The Vapor seems a little excessive, But it should fade over time. The kit does have an internal separator and I see no need for steel wool, the water vapor that is coming out won't condense fast enough to really be stopped by this.

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Thanks for the reply! Is there an optimal way to clean the oil from the filter? I imagine that the oil can cake on and the can will lose its effectiveness if it isn't cleaned properly.