GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR stage 2...what are the pitfalls??

Luckydawg75

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2009 GTI
Just got stage 2 APR, and the garage man told me that I should really consider getting the DSG upgrade. Mind you this car is not bound for the track nor nightly street racing. My intention was to get the car up to good amount of HP to make it fun to drive, and yes sit some punk down every now and again but not on a regular basis considering I am hauling my family around.
SO I guess the question is, has anyone with Stage 2 APR had any DSG issues??

o6RSGTI

Ready to race!
i been basic APR stage 2 forever have not had any DSG issues.
i remember having hard shifting issues back when stage 2 mapping was first released they released an update to fix that.

pb4ugoout

Ready to race!
Been on Stage 2 for about 4-5 years. Never had any issues with the DSG or anything else that I feel was an issue because of the tune. If you have a light foot most of the time you can sit back and enjoy higher gas mileage. They probably just want to upsell you.

Luckydawg75

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2009 GTI
I was thinking the up sell angle myself, just having a hard time looking at 700$ DSG upgrade!

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
For just a daily car it is absolutely unnecessary, is it nice, yes, is it a must, no. Ran mine with just the engine tune for 40k+ with zero issues. Then went with a more aggressive tune and still didn't have issues. At 150k right now and still going strong.

He'll my K04 daily doesn't have a DSG tune and it's fine as well.

BAMF

Ready to race!
I went from stock straight to APR stage 2 at 17k, ran the stock DSG tune until about 110k with absolutely zero problems. At 110k-ish I got the HPA stage 2 DSG tune, still no problems and now at 146k.

FWIW, I have always done my DSG service at 20k intervals rather than the factory recommended 40k, and oil changes every 5k instead of 10k, just as cheap preventative maintenance and for peace of mind with the higher output.

I'm not out street racing or tracking either, and drive reasonably most of the time. I enjoy the occasional full throttle blast or high speed run through a twisty road, but it is a daily driver.

I chose APR for the reputation of being a "safer," somewhat more conservative tune, and HPA for their DSG expertise and partnership with VW Racing.

six2one

Passed Driver's Ed
Been running APR stage 2 on my mkv 6mt since about 60k miles. ATP/Autotech/evoms/s3 intercooler/oe dv.

Now at 205k still on the OE Turbo and clutch/flywheel. No problems with anything related to the tune. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Last edited: