GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Presents the 1.8 TSI EA888 Generation 3 ECU Upgrade!

Baosa

Go Kart Champion
Just reiterating but Wow! What awesome numbers. Can't wait to see the numbers for the mk7 GTI...

And the port flash!

Nice job APR!

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
Those are crazy impressive gains, and the torque comes on low and strong! I gotta imagine the grin must be pretty huge for a 1.8T owner going from stock to this.

I'm eyeballing a MK7 Golf R for my next set of wheels, but that's obviously a ways away. I'm eager to see how much room the left in the R motor for tuning.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
seems like its a bigger jump than our mk6 gti stock to stage 1. kinda attractive. buy a really cheap car, chip it undercover, no one will know. and no ECU removal.. thats a fucking dream for me. we've all been worrying about that for years.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
What about 13.5 Gen 3 2.0t? Do they still use the same IHI turbo as the gti?

No, not even close.

The manifold is integrated into the head. It's like a normal turbo connected to the head via one single port. Real strange.

Anyways, the new 1.8 and 2.0 we get in the USA use a Honeywell turbo.

The stuff Europe (the other 7 different ea888 gen 3 TSI engines) have billet IHI turbos. They also connect to the head. The interesting part is they are inverse from what you are use to seeing. The inlet is on the US driver side of the engine and the exhaust comes out of the US passenger side of the engine. Backwards from the existing mk5 and 6 gti.

There are loads of other goodies too. These engines kick ass.

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
No, not even close.

The manifold is integrated into the head. It's like a normal turbo connected to the head via one single port. Real strange.

Anyways, the new 1.8 and 2.0 we get in the USA use a Honeywell turbo.

The stuff Europe (the other 7 different ea888 gen 3 TSI engines) have billet IHI turbos. They also connect to the head. The interesting part is they are inverse from what you are use to seeing. The inlet is on the US driver side of the engine and the exhaust comes out of the US passenger side of the engine. Backwards from the existing mk5 and 6 gti.

There are loads of other goodies too. These engines kick ass.

Any ideas on what kind of power can be extracted with software flash on the gen 3 2.0t?

Any chance the billet chra IHI can be retrofitted on to our manifold/turbine housing?

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
Any ideas on what kind of power can be extracted with software flash on the gen 3 2.0t?

Any chance the billet chra IHI can be retrofitted on to our manifold/turbine housing?

Which 2.0T? Us Gli version, row gti version, row s3 version, or the row a4 version? ;-)

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
US GLI and Beetle version

Ah, so the US GLI turbo with the ROW GTI's IHI Billet turbo into it? I honestly don't know yet. We're already looking into a few different options and we have the turbos all 3D modeled, but probably will not put a new CHRA into a used turbo. That typically brings about problems.

I posted this back in July of last year. So yeah, we're working on stuff.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...685355.-2207520000.1390576764.&type=3&theater

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
Arin,

Sorry I was asking 2 different questions.

1). Would it be possible to retrofit the billet IHI chra to a US 10' - 14' manifold/turbine housing? In other words swap out the cast chra and compressor for the billet chra and compressor.

2). What kind of power should the US 13.5 GLI and beetle turbo make with your software? More or less power then the Cbfa and ccta motors?

drop360

No, the GLI gets a totally different engine from the GTI.

The GTI gets a better one with more goodies and a bigger billet turbo.

There are 11 physically different versions of the new 1.8T and 2.0T EA888 Gen 3 engines. That covers 18 different revisions too (ECU power output variations of the same engine), and only ones currently in production. There should be more.
A bit off topic, but... It seems that when the US spec MKVII GTI is released, it will initially come with direct injection, with MPI possibly added to a later release of the GTI. Do you guys have that covered? Would those two configurations have different power outputs?

Thanks!

Last edited: