GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Apr ecu tune for mk7 out!

Beaker1

Go Kart Champion
We're not talking a huge difference here. The MK6 K04 combo is still plenty potent. My 2014 Mustang makes 700CHP and the little GTI still has enough punch to put a smile on my face whenever I drive it. Don't give away the farm for modest bump.

How do you like the Eurojet FMIC? That is the one I ended up going with. Putting it on this Friday.

Beaker1

Go Kart Champion
I'm totally blown away... also sad.

Mk7 is a monster. So yeah, do i stop modding and hope someday to pick up a used MK7 PP? Or is this more reason to go K04 and be happy with my Mk6 that i've owned from brand new.

Mk6 was a really cheap car. Mine was 22.4K OTD. My monthly is dirt cheap, and almost paid off at only 39K miles. Im thinking i just turn this mk6 into my little dream car and never log on to golfmk7. EVER. lol I'll be the last user on here, and i'll have discussions with myself. And maybe FredF who will still be asking for a new stage 1 tune.

I think I might be on here with you. I'll bring the donuts

kern417

Go Kart Champion
I'll wait until they work all of the bugs out. Heck I'm doing the K04 upgrade this Friday, so I'm keep the MK6 for a couple of years. By then I'll know the quality of the build and some of the problems that folks are having. Plus the small GPS screen, gotta at least wait until a bigger one comes out.

i thought the mk7 had a bigger screen than the mk6 unless i'm missing what you meant

I think I might be on here with you. I'll bring the donuts

you know you guys will never be alone. eventually all the mk4 kids will total their cars and buy mk5s, and then total those and buy mk6s. ;)

gtiargyle

I have both the MK 6 & the MK 7: A black 4 door MK 6 DSG APR stage II w/ APR IC, carbonio,intake & suspension mods & Nuespeed wheels. About 68K miles sans issues.
Just bought a silver MK 7 DSG 4 door & put light weight Nuespeed wheels on it too (FYI dislike the way the heavy OE Brooklyn's affect the suspension on the MK7 just as I did w/ the Detroits on the MK6.) The stock MK7 is a "better" car in most ways and the suspension IS superior to a stock MK6. The 7 is razor sharp & agile while the 6 is a welter-weight fighter. The 6 is loads of fun but the 7 wants to be pushed harder before it reveals its many pleasures. Basically I like both cars & will keep them: My wife LOVES the 6 so she drives it a lot.
The 7 is pretty damn peppy stock & not a lot slower than my stage II 6 BUT it's clear that the 7 has tons of potential to be unleashed. What I do not like so much about the 7 is the gear ratios relative to the torque curve: 1 & 2 are closely spaced & 3 is where one spends the most time w/ usuful torque. The MK7 has peaks & valleys in the torque curve that are much more noticeable than the APR dyno data shows. The 7 requires that the driver compensates constantly w/ throttle input to get the right balance while doing sporty driving. Simply put a MK6 APR stage 2 is more natural & seamless while the stock 7 is like a race horse that needs coaxing.
If you look at the APR vid of the stage 1 MK7 software you can see the odd hyper 1st to 2nd transition as the tach & speedo bouncing illustrates.
Bottom line: If I had to choose between the MK6 stage II or the MK7 w/ stage 1 & intake I would go w/ the 7 for the following reasons: Superior suspension, fantastic engine w/ & I quote APR "amazing potential for mods that surpass anything we have seen from VW", great balance between daily driving & sport "a car within a car", and a really perfect interior that rivals the best Audi and beats BMW for the most part. Also it has beautiful folded origami body folds & subtile design aspects that grow on you (the darker colors in the MK7 hide the body folds & tension lines but silver, white & red really show off the aesthetics.)
I choose to believe that the MK7 may represent the best car for the price for those folks who want to have their cake & eat it: Great manners, comfort, potential for considerable modding and all around great car that does everything very very well. And FYI I can get my MK7 in a nice controlled drift by disabling the the nanny guards & I don't really see why its can't handle a added power of the APR stage 1 software (and the electronic diff stuff is well within the range of APR software engineers as they are planning a bunch of goodies as we speak. APR is stoked!)

Last edited:

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
I have both the MK 6 & the MK 7: A black 4 door MK 6 DSG APR stage II w/ APR IC, carbonio,intake & suspension mods & Nuespeed wheels. About 68K miles sans issues.
Just bought a silver MK 7 DSG 4 door & put light weight Nuespeed wheels on it too (FYI dislike the way the heavy OE Brooklyn's affect the suspension on the MK7 just as I did w/ the Detroits on the MK6.) The stock MK7 is a "better" car in most ways and the suspension IS superior to a stock MK6. The 7 is razor sharp & agile while the 6 is a welter-weight fighter. The 6 is loads of fun but the 7 wants to be pushed harder before it reveals its many pleasures. Basically I like both cars & will keep them: My wife LOVES the 6 so she drives it a lot.
The 7 is pretty damn peppy stock & not a lot slower than my stage II 6 BUT it's clear that the 7 has tons of potential to be unleashed. What I do not like so much about the 7 is the gear ratios relative to the torque curve: 1 & 2 are closely spaced & 3 is where one spends the most time w/ usuful torque. The MK7 has peaks & valleys in the torque curve that are much more noticeable than the APR dyno data shows. The 7 requires that the driver compensates constantly w/ throttle input to get the right balance while doing sporty driving. Simply put a MK6 APR stage 2 is more natural & seamless while the stock 7 is like a race horse that needs coaxing.
If you look at the APR vid of the stage 1 MK7 software you can see the odd hyper 1st to 2nd transition as the tach & speedo bouncing illustrates.
Bottom line: If I had to choose between the MK6 stage II or the MK7 w/ stage 1 & intake I would go w/ the 7 for the following reasons: Superior suspension, fantastic engine w/ & I quote APR "amazing potential for mods that surpass anything we have seen from VW", great balance between daily driving & sport "a car within a car", and a really perfect interior that rivals the best Audi and beats BMW for the most part. Also it has beautiful folded origami body folds & subtile design aspects that grow on you (the darker colors in the MK7 hide the body folds & tension lines but silver, white & red really show off the aesthetics.)
I choose to believe that the MK7 may represent the best car for the price for those folks who want to have their cake & eat it: Great manners, comfort, potential for considerable modding and all around great car that does everything very very well. And FYI I can get my MK7 in a nice controlled drift by disabling the the nanny guards & I don't really see why its can't handle a added power of the APR stage 1 software (and the electronic diff stuff is well within the range of APR software engineers as they are planning a bunch of goodies as we speak. APR is stoked!)

nice thanks for your 2 cents, i should really test drive one to appreciate the MK7.

Gti207

Ready to race!

You should post a race between the mk6 and mk7! At the strip or on a closed road in Mexico [emoji6]? I'm curious to see the difference. Congrats on the new car.