Schnell, bitch! Schnell!
Car(s)
VW Rabbit MkV

binky

Ready to race!
Car(s)
06 Mazda MX-5
he's probably thinking of the new TT with 3.2 and quattro

Yup. Thats the only way to get a 3.2 6spd. It's pretty badass but of course the DSG is faster. TTs have launch control too. SWEET!

EDIT: About the R32, personally I don't think people are buying it because its blazingly fast. It's a grown up GTI w/AWD, its very quick and handles/sounds/looks great. Also it's a limited edition. I think a chipped GTI will wreck it especially from a roll, but faster isn't everything. BTW it might run 13s stock but I'm not too sure about mid 13s.

sonor kid

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2001 Acura CL Type S
I heard they run like mid 13's stock. I know they look badass! Do they really only come in DSG? No 6 speed?

I have a road test on the new R32, does 14.5 in the quarter mile.
I drove one a week ago, nice car but pricey compared to the GTI.

sonor kid

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2001 Acura CL Type S
That's correct brennok, some have already received their replacments.
I just got my DBP R32 last week. Gotta say I love it! Drove both cars and to me the R32 was a little more fun especially as the grunt of the R32 is awesome. If we are talking about keeping the car stock...Why would someone want to buy an 2008 GTI with Autobahn package, 18", etc for 30,000+, when the R32 can be had for a couple of thousand more? Bigger engine, AWD, 15mm lower suspension, little bit faster 0-60 and definately around the track, limited...to me it just seems better for the long run if you want sporty + luxary (~$30,000 range). I was a little worried about the front grill as I thought it didn't look as good at the GTI in pictures. But funny thing, I actually prefer the look of the R32 grill over the GTI in real life. No tinted R32 tail lights though, which kinda pissed me off, but they can be had for about $200. Really easy setup if you go with the US version which has a couple of LEDs in 'em that appeal to some (the euro requires more time for install and have no LEDs, however it has the rear foglight). That's about it. Not trying to start a war...I just slightly preferred the r32. : )

I agree with you, that's why I bought a base model GTI with only the DSG, $22,035 compared to spending $33,690 on the R32.

raynekat

Passed Driver's Ed
I drove one at the local dealer today here in Portland, Oregon.
This list for the R32 was right at $33k.
But the dealer is optioning them all with Nav which adds another almost $2K.
In addition, there was a $3k dealer mark up.
So the R32 was out the door at $38k.

I currently own a 2006 GTI with DSG, APR, Milltek (w/ larger cat), and factory Euro springs.
My GTI has the cloth interior and no Nav was about $25k out the door in Feb. 06 and now has about 14k miles on it.
Car is in perfect condition.

The dealer said he'd take my car in trade, and then all I'd need to do was write them a check for $25k.
Seriously!!!!!
I just looked at him kind of sideways, and said no thanks.....my GTI is just fine.

About the R32.
We all know they only come with DSG....no 6sp manual option.
Also leather interior is it.....no cloth seat inserts like the 1st generation R32.
Overall, the interior was very, very similiar to my GTI.
Starting up the car....the engine definitely sounds much different than my GTI.
Good lopey idle.
Upon driving it for 15 minutes, the car did feel a hair more solid and planted than my GTI.
Likely due to the additional 200lbs and the slightly firmer suspension.
But the ride was not measurably all that different....or better.
In the rain, obviously the R32 would have a big advantage over my GTI.
But again, at normal around-town speeds, you'd rarely see that difference.
The engine note sounds good....better than my 4 cylinder boosted car.
But is quite a bit quieter than the 1st generation R32.
That was somewhat of a disappointment.
It did have good low end torque.
But my modded GTI (~250hp, ~300ft/lb) feels much quicker when you get on it.
All in all, a nice ride.
But to me not worth $38k....and especially not worth an additional $25k for me to have it in my garage over my GTI.
So I'll just be happy with my GTI.
Likely have a Peloquin LSD installed over the winter, with a few more engine tweeks.
And not worry about the new R32.

My bottom line.
Great car, looks, drives and sounds great.
But not that much greater than my GTI.
I am sure they will all sell out no problem.
Just as the 1st generation R32 did.

AlphAZender

Drag Race Newbie
I can think of two reasons one of which is mine, 4 doors or manual transmission. This is one of the reasons I am holding out for a 25 Edition here just to see if we get it and if so if it comes in 4 doors. If not then I will probably look into the R32 for the exact reasons you mentioned. I am already trying to convince myself I won't miss having a trunk so going to a 2 door may be more than I am willing to swallow.

I am in the exact same camp as you. I wish VW would announce the 25th so we would know the specs. VW Please bring 4 door 230 hp 6spd edition 25 to US :wub:

07mkvgti

Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
06 GTi
OK, first of all. the 25th is coming late 08 early 09.

Now, the ONLY thing the R32 has over the GTI is AWD and a cool sound(woopie). my friend drove one and he said he wasn't impressed at all. the car felt just as fast as a stock GTI, and the handling was the only good thing about it. oh and the gauges look cool. he told me that his 99 Jetta GLX would probably walk it. and i can beat him in the 1/4. r32 to me is just a huge disappointment this gen. o yea, he did launch control and the car bogged. WTF is that.

MKIV R32's didnt have cloth inserts by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.