GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone drive or buy a new R32 yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw one today but it was raining so the dealership would not let me test drive, ne way its nice looking but wow did the USA get screwed with em, The rims rent as nice as the European version and where are the "r:32" tails the ones on the car I saw looked exactly like stock GTI ones.:iono:

Jisco Santos

My real name is Daniel
Car(s)
Golf GTI MKV DSG UG
We´ve had the manual in Sweden also for about a year.
Only driven the DSG and It´s a really solid car, but could use some more horsepower...

Jisco Santos

My real name is Daniel
Car(s)
Golf GTI MKV DSG UG
If you like the rear bumper you can buy it from any VW dealer, at least you can do that here in Sweden... The R32 bumper will fit any golf, but you need to replace the exaust also.
Check out this site to which parts you can buy: http://www.tmtuning.com/vw/

JimmyT

Redneck Engineer
Car(s)
2011 135i
My wife and father in law picked up my DBP R32 this week. It's sitting in the garage, with minimal driving, until I get back from Iraq! I upgraded from a 2001 GTI GLX, so I am excited to drive the thing. I snatched mine up on a preorder on 17 FEB. My father in law drove the car home from the dealer, and loved it. He is a big fan of german cars, and currently owns an AUDI A4 avant. It's a decent toy to buy and drive. I know it will not be as responsive to chip tuning as the 2.0T, but I love the sound of a VR6 at full throttle. I missed my chance to buy a 2004 R32 due to my first trip to Iraq, so I was really excited to hear VW was bringing the MK V R32 to the states. I was able to test drive a 2004 R32 and a MK V GTI W/DSG the day I put my money down for my R. I loved both cars, but couldn't justify the MK IV R32 price of 32K from the dealer with 30,000 miles on the car. I was able to drop a hefty down payment and got a good loan, so I am happy with the whole car buying experience. I would not pay a dime in dealer markup though, and didn't. My 2 cents worth, if you want one, indulge. Just be willing to wait for the car deal that you want. If you would rather have your modded GTI, that's good too. Just don't compare my car to a ricer/rally want-a-be.... the R32 is in a class of it's own. PS... if my car runs a 13.xx in the 1/4 mile, I'll shit myself silly. I can hope for mid to low 14s in stock form.

Last edited:

07mkvgti

Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
06 GTi
new R32 runs around the same as a GTI. heavy+heavy=ghey. MKIV R32 FTW.
MKV R32 is a disappointment.(unless it had stick)

Whafrodamus

Walnuts, bitch.
Car(s)
2010 MK6 GTI
love the rear bumper, but would rather have my GTI

Please, let's not discuss my days of Saved by the Bell... Painful times.

duck89

Passed Driver's Ed
That's correct brennok, some have already received their replacments.
I just got my DBP R32 last week. Gotta say I love it! Drove both cars and to me the R32 was a little more fun especially as the grunt of the R32 is awesome. If we are talking about keeping the car stock...Why would someone want to buy an 2008 GTI with Autobahn package, 18", etc for 30,000+, when the R32 can be had for a couple of thousand more? Bigger engine, AWD, 15mm lower suspension, little bit faster 0-60 and definately around the track, limited...to me it just seems better for the long run if you want sporty + luxary (~$30,000 range). I was a little worried about the front grill as I thought it didn't look as good at the GTI in pictures. But funny thing, I actually prefer the look of the R32 grill over the GTI in real life. No tinted R32 tail lights though, which kinda pissed me off, but they can be had for about $200. Really easy setup if you go with the US version which has a couple of LEDs in 'em that appeal to some (the euro requires more time for install and have no LEDs, however it has the rear foglight). That's about it. Not trying to start a war...I just slightly preferred the r32. : )

Last edited:

brennok

Ready to race!
If we are talking about keeping the car stock...Why would someone want to buy an 2008 GTI with Autobahn package, 18", etc for 30,000+, when the R32 can be had for a couple of thousand more? Bigger engine, AWD, 15mm lower suspension, little bit faster 0-60 and definately around the track, limited...to me it just seems better for the long run if you want sporty + luxary (~$30,000 range).

I can think of two reasons one of which is mine, 4 doors or manual transmission. This is one of the reasons I am holding out for a 25 Edition here just to see if we get it and if so if it comes in 4 doors. If not then I will probably look into the R32 for the exact reasons you mentioned. I am already trying to convince myself I won't miss having a trunk so going to a 2 door may be more than I am willing to swallow.

herrstreet

Touring Car Newbie
speed wise, it's probably about in the ballpark of the a3 3.2 quattro.

From what I understand, it IS an audi A3 3.2 Quatro in the same way that a Camry and Lexus (I forget the model name) are the same thing.

I took a look at the car in a local dealership, which was trying to gauge an extra grand for it's R32. My GTI is a package II so the only difference inside is the aluminum trim. No way in Hell the car does a 13 sec. 1/4 mile. I'd say low to mid 14's very similar to what a GTI makes. It's only about .4 sec faster to 60. The GTI should have 250hp. The R32 needs to have around 300.

Status
Not open for further replies.