GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anybody here running an APR TSI Stage 3 kit?

ace009

Ready to race!
Yes, I've got the APR intercooler, Carbonio intake, APR downpipe and midpipe but kept the stock exhaust -- I wanted to keep the car looking and sounding stock.

How about a catch can, are you running any?
I'm just waiting on an APR sale, and I'll be getting this kit. For now, I'd like to get other (non-APR) parts installed.
Already got the BSH pendulum mount kit, Whiteline ALK and engine & trans mounts -- only need a catch can that will work with the APR kit and will allow me to use the stock TSI engine cover.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
Just dynoed a CBFA customers car with STOCK catback exhaust. Spool was a hair slower. Power though the RPM band was pretty much identical. :)

Here are 6 runs averaged.
10% drivetrain loss
Average temp was between 85.96F to 86.50F between all runs.
Average temp correction was 1.008324 to 1.008816

:)

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
ace009, yes, I do have a BSH Competition Catch Can, but disconnected it for the time being. With the can I was getting CELs on engine start for a running rich condition. I haven't had one CEL in the entire time that I ran the Stage 3 system before installing the can or after disconnecting it. I anything I would have expected a running lean condition if unmetered air enters the system, but the exact opposite is happening.

Arin, my numbers were done using 0% drivetrain loss, so those are wheel numbers. The 330HP made me very happy but it's still hit and miss, I worry about wasting time right after launch and get on the gas too much and spin the tires. I need to work on throttle modulation.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
PRND, PM me your first name, location of flashing and date of flashing. We've made a TON of changes to the Stage 3 TSI software in the 2 years since first developing it. It's more powerful up to and much much much more linear down low. It ramps up very fast but then stays super even as seen in the graph. Peak power feels like it's up 20 hp.

Here's the guy above at the wheels:

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Hey Arin, the note on that video was great! 'Closed Driver, Professional Course'

ace009

Ready to race!
ace009, yes, I do have a BSH Competition Catch Can, but disconnected it for the time being. With the can I was getting CELs on engine start for a running rich condition. I haven't had one CEL in the entire time that I ran the Stage 3 system before installing the can or after disconnecting it. I anything I would have expected a running lean condition if unmetered air enters the system, but the exact opposite is happening.

That's not what I wanted to hear. I was actually planning on getting the BSH catch can too.

Arin, are any of your (customer) stage 3 cars running a catch can? If so, which one(s)? Which one would you recommend the most?

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
Be glad you found out before you got a catch can. I'm not saying they can't be used with the TSI Stage 3 system, but so far I'm getting CELs. They don't cause any real problems but I want to get rid of them, so I'm working with my tuner to try to find a fix.

ace009

Ready to race!
Be glad you found out before you got a catch can. I'm not saying they can't be used with the TSI Stage 3 system, but so far I'm getting CELs. They don't cause any real problems but I want to get rid of them, so I'm working with my tuner to try to find a fix.

Oh, absolutely. I really appreciate all your feedback and for taking the time to answer my questions. Good luck and please continue to post as you make progress with the CEL issue.

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
OK, here is an update on my situation.

I received a PM from Arin on Monday morning informing me that the new flash file for my ECU was ready. I contacted my APR dealer (Eurocode Tuning in Torrance, California) and made arrangements to come in today and have the BSH Competition Catch Can put back and the ECU reflashed.

I'm happy to report that the new flash file has not only resulted in a much more linear power curve without the sudden burst of boost in the middle of the RPM band, but it also seems to have cured the CELs for the "running rich" condition I was experiencing with the catch can before.

I've only driven 25 miles since then and haven't been able to do a Dynolicious run yet, but I'm optimistic that the new flash file will result in faster 0-60 times if for no other reason than that the more linear power output means that I'm less likely to have a loss of traction. As I wrote earlier, modulating the throttle (not just at launch) to avoid spinning the tires was difficult. Arin said there's an extra 10 to 20 HP at the peak as well, and that can't hurt either.

A big thumbs up to Arin and the rest of the folks at APR, and Eurocode Tuning for reinstalling the catch can and flashing the ECU without charge. :thumbup:

ace009

Ready to race!
^^^ I'm glad everything worked out for you. Arin and the rest of the folks at APR are great :thumbsup:

sntmods

Ready to race!
I've got a question for you PRNDS... what do you plan on doing come Smog time with your stage 3 kit?

Its the only thing thats holding me back from someday doing it myself.

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
I've got a couple of years to figure that out -- new vehicles don't have to be smogged for the first six years, you pay a smog abatement fee instead:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm#BM2543

I'm hopeful that by the time I need to get my car smogged, they'll have done something more sensible like a sniffer test where you pass as long as your emissions are within limits. I'm not catless, so the emissions shouldn't be too bad.