GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any Track Rats Still Active?

kyoo

Go Kart Newbie
yes so i've got the 26mm H&R rear bar, and looking at the 24mm front bar so mine will be on the looser side. It's on the soft setting for now, so if the car gets too pushy with the front 24mm on the soft setting I can change the rear to the stiffer setting.

anything else to do with the subframe partially lowered? steering bushings or anything like that?

found the subframe collars, will do those too while it's partially down

Last edited:

kyoo

Go Kart Newbie
found the sub
You've got it backwards, with a 26mm rear and 24mm front I'd expect your car to oversteer, not push through corners. Your rear end is going to want to rotate a lot with a setup like that.

Good time to refresh your control arm bushings, endlinks, etc while you're there.

right now i only have the 26mm rear bar, so adding the 24mm front bar should add more push. The car wasn't that loose at autox on Sunday

Former Honda Guy

Autocross Newbie
You've got it backwards, with a 26mm rear and 24mm front I'd expect your car to oversteer, not push through corners. Your rear end is going to want to rotate a lot with a setup like that.

Good time to refresh your control arm bushings, endlinks, etc while you're there.
I’m running the H&R 24mm front/26 mm rear kit, but the car didn’t really start to rotate until you installed my hatch brace. That was a game changer.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Something to consider when it comes to the front bar and handling balance is that if you upgrade the rear and not the front, there's a good chance that you'll get pretty serious push when the front gets deep into the bumpstops. A stiffer front bar, counter-intuitively, will keep the overall wheel rate lower and more predictable by limiting how deep into the bumpstop you get. On top of that a stiffer antiroll bar also limits camber loss.

Like all things suspension though, there's a balance to be struck. If you go too big with the front bar relative to the rear you'll still get understeer, so it's about finding the sweet spot.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
This should be required reading for everyone upgrading the suspension on a FWD car. I started with a 25.4mm RSB and the car was better. I added a 26mm FSB and the car got loose. I went back down to a 24mm RSB and the car is balanced and turns much quicker that with the RSB alone.

https://nasaspeed.news/tech/suspens...-track-performance-for-strut-suspension-cars/

On my MKV GTI, I was happy with 26mm fsb and 23mm rsb (Eibach solid). My car was quite balanced and great on the track.

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
I still have not gotten a FSB largely due to this conversation. I have always been very happy with my 24mm H&R RSB and the feeling it brought. So many people upgraded the FSB only to negate that feeling and performance increase until dialing it in later through trial and error.

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
It's interesting to hear the varying opinions on this, personally I found the 24mm rsb and oem front bar to be very unstable at high speeds. Anything over 100 was very sketchy, lane changes made me feel like I was going to spin out. I never did go on a track like that though.

Yea that is super interesting. Been at speeds of >135 pretty frequently (including on track at auto club speedway) and had no such feeling. Perhaps is other components in the suspension not being accounted for. Shocks/struts/braces/bushings/alignment?

kyoo

Go Kart Newbie
i'm getting the FSB installed this coming week. it may be slightly different w fwd vs awd cars, but i read the same thing about maintaining camber curve better with the stiffer FSB etc.. didn't work for the evo, and not expecting it to introduce a lot of oversteer on the mk6r, both of which are obviously awd mcstrut cars

SteveInLA

Ready to race!
Did a track day for the first time at Thunderhill Raceway. Ran the 5 mile configuration. No instructor in the car but did lead/follow until I got the hang of the track. I had only done Buttonwillow until this and both are great tracks. I did the event with Hooked on Driving and cannot recommend them enough. A bit pricey but they really organized the event well even with the extra COVID-19 precautions. This was the first time on the track since going Stage 2 and switched to EBC Yellow Stuff brake pads. The car performed flawlessly!
GBMD2967.jpg

GBMD3909.jpg

GBMD4107.jpg

Also met my car's older brother!
IMG_1468.jpg