PooLeArMor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
08 CW GTi

TurbO_Lag

Aint I?
Car(s)
2008 GTi MkV
i have it do u want mine i can sell i mine..
U has dems lites? I needs dem lights. I has us moneys for u's. i can has lytes? i thanks you..

On a side note, why the hell did VW put shitty halogen bulbs in our Fogs. I think HID headlights with halogen fogs are the ugliest combo in the world.

305GTI

Ready to race!
I think they put halogen's in the fog's because HID lights do not penetrate through actual fog, but halogens sure do.

TurbO_Lag

Aint I?
Car(s)
2008 GTi MkV
I think they put halogen's in the fog's because HID lights do not penetrate through actual fog, but halogens sure do.
I'm sorry but I have never used my fog lights for their actual purpose. Fog lights add little to know effective visiable range to my line of sight. FOGS are a waste, and should be treated as visual accessories.:cool:

amorak

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm interested if these cheap ass lebay LED fogs work too - I'd be wiling to spend $20 shipped to get rid of these ugly stock halogens, but not much more...

TurbO_Lag

Aint I?
Car(s)
2008 GTi MkV
I never turn mine on. Problem solved. Paint them yellow, then they will look ok. (although, I hate the yellow fog light look)

julito04

I plead the fif.
Car(s)
08 WRX Limited
or you can just buy hoen match fogs or hoen yellows that look good too.

3rdGTI

Ready to race!
I disagree that fogs serve no purpose. The do have a purpose...in fog.

I'm obviously in the minority, but seeing people drive around on a clear day with their fogs on is a pet peeve of mine for some strange reason. Rear fogs are even more rediculous.

TurbO_Lag

Aint I?
Car(s)
2008 GTi MkV
I have driven with both fogs on and off, and I can't notice any difference in my visibility.

3rdGTI

Ready to race!
That's my whole point, if you are not in thick fog they provide absolutely no value.

I have had the same experience in really thick fog on several occassions. You are in a line of cars creeping through the mountains. It's dark and so foggy that you can't see the road in front of your front bumper. So you are just trying to keep the distance between the car in front of you constant. What happens is that your tach and speedo are telling you that you are moving, albeit slowly, but you can't see the road and the car in front of you is staying the same distance away. It starts to seem almost like you are not moving at all. It is a scary situation and the reason cars have fog lights. Fog lights are designed to illuminate the road directly in front of your bumper when you otherwise can't see it.

Consider yourself lucky if you have never been in this situation and trust me that in these cases fog lights most certainly serve their intended purpose. Changing them for show and, in doing so, making them less effective at doing what they are designed to do, strikes me as pretty dumb. But it sounds like a lot of people would rather call attention to themselves and look "cool" than have a safety feature when they really need it.

To each his own, I guess.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/fog_lamps/fog_lamps.html

Last edited:

jpun15

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'08 GTI 6MT
That's my whole point, if you are not in thick fog they provide absolutely no value.

I have had the same experience in really thick fog on several occassions. You are in a line of cars creeping through the mountains. It's dark and so foggy that you can't see the road in front of your front bumper. So you are just trying to keep the distance between the car in front of you constant. What happens is that your tach and speedo are telling you that you are moving, albeit slowly, but you can't see the road and the car in front of you is staying the same distance away. It starts to seem almost like you are not moving at all. It is a scary situation and the reason cars have fog lights. Fog lights are designed to illuminate the road directly in front of your bumper when you otherwise can't see it.

Consider yourself lucky if you have never been in this situation and trust me that in these cases fog lights most certainly serve their intended purpose. Changing them for show and, in doing so, making them less effective at doing what they are designed to do, strikes me as pretty dumb. But it sounds like a lot of people would rather call attention to themselves and look "cool" than have a safety feature when they really need it.

To each his own, I guess.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/fog_lamps/fog_lamps.html

My HID fogs do exactly that, they illuminate the road right in front of me much better than the stock halogen fogs.