GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

another "i got a ticket" thread

kwongo

will fly for food
so, I got a ticket for doing 70 in a 50 zone and going uphill. Any point of fighting it? Will they even reduce it if the cop does show up?

sadd3j

Vwoooooooooooooom
20 over is demerit points.. granted doesnt really matter to insurance, but its up to you if you have the time to fight it, and at least a decent reason to fight it.

kwongo

will fly for food
would it be wise to hire a ticket fighter for this? because i myself don't see how i can get away with it. thanks for your answers

Khobin~

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'07 GTI, '97 YZF600R
well that depends... were you going 70? if so, just man up and pay the ticket. :thumbsup:

If you're thinking about hiring a lawyer, then it's a question of what it's worth... chances are the lawyer might cost more then the ticket. :biggrin:

From what I've heard the best way is to just go to the Justice on the date on the ticket. Then you can either plead not guilty and go to court, where you can state your case about how you weren't speeding... Or you can plead guilty and ask him to reduce the ticket. Like say get him to remove the demerits and just pay the fine, or reduce the fine amount.

krayzie

Go Kart Champion
Was the cop using a radar gun or just pacing you?

I say fight it! This stupid city is already asking for too much taxpayer's money for their golf memberships and free lunches.

kfeng

Ready to race!
Hiring a ticket figher might cost you less in the long run if you win. Insurence will rape you for the next few years if you have a ticket on your record.

sandwich

Ready to race!
Not sure about Toronto, but in Ottawa you can request a First Attendance and talk to a prosecutor before the trial who will usually reduce the ticket - this depends greatly on your record and how much of a sob story you can sell him.

I've done this, had a 27 over reduced to 15 over no points $52.50... 2 other tickets on my license. I got lucky, fed him a bunch of bullshit about how I've really matured and my insurance is really high.

LoveSpeed

Need for Sleep
Car(s)
Rabbit 2007
fight it

Man go fight it… I had my court last Tue, and the judge throw the ticket and the charges… I was going 160km in a 100 zone, highway 403 and that was Sep 2nd 2007… a week before the new racing law, the cop gave me a ticket for 148 because I stopped on the far right of the highway, he didn’t even have room between my car and the side barrier… anyways I got my letter on Jan saying my court on Sep 2nd 2008… btw I talked to a person to fight it, as I don’t have time to go to court, my friend used his service and his ticket was thrown out too… I end up going just to see what do they do in court… anyways his argument was it took them too long to schedule my court date, and the judge agreed…
I remember someone in the court was so happy because his cop didn’t show up, and someone else was given a ticket for going 15 over in a 100 zone.. crazy, I know... some one else had a ticket because he didn’t do a full stop at stop sign… anyways if you want that guy number let me know.. he is really good… I think I paid $250… better than paying the $350 and 5 points…
Even if you go to your court 30 min early and meet with the persecutor – first meeting- you still can work a deal with them…
My lessen don’t speed… especially with the new law…no one wants to spend a week using the public transit and wasting 2 hr to get to work each way…. Good luck in your court

ryedog

owner
Car(s)
1981 VW Golf GTI
I would just pay it, it's kind of a hassle to stand in line and wait at court. If you want the points off, just take a online defensive driving course. I've done it a couple of times here in Alberta. I believe it was about 100 bones, and it's 3 points off your license.

NinjaNikki

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'07 UG GTI
I would just pay it, it's kind of a hassle to stand in line and wait at court. If you want the points off, just take a online defensive driving course. I've done it a couple of times here in Alberta. I believe it was about 100 bones, and it's 3 points off your license.

They don't have that here in Ontario where the OP is from.
As other have said fight it, if you've got the time to take off as the worst that can happen is you'll have to pay it in the end.

If you have other tickets on your licence you should definately fight it as tickets stay on your record for 2 years from the date of conviction so anything you can do to space out your convictions is a good thing.

Insurance doesn't care if you were going 20 over or 1 over a conviction is a conviction and some companies will rape you in the arse for it.

Do NOT hire anyone if all you want is to get the points removed as if you went to court you could ask the crown/judge for that yourself and save yourself the $300.

As someone said if your court date is over a year away from the date of the offence you should definately put an 11b motion (right to a speedy trial).

Good luck.

ryedog

owner
Car(s)
1981 VW Golf GTI
^ that sucks Ontario doesn't have that option. I know it's probably in his best interest to fight it, I've done it myself many times. But unless i was on the verge of losing my license now, i couldn't be bothered spending hours in court.The points will come off eventually anyways, that's just how i look at it.

rk1

Ready to race!
Man go fight it… I had my court last Tue, and the judge throw the ticket and the charges… I was going 160km in a 100 zone, highway 403 and that was Sep 2nd 2007…

Wow, was there a giant killer robot chasing you and therefore you feared for your life or were you just doing it to be stupid?

kwongo

will fly for food
thanks for all the help =]. i will fight this and hope for the best.
another question, if i get the points removed somehow and pay the fine. is this still considered a conviction to the insurance company?

NinjaNikki

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'07 UG GTI
thanks for all the help =]. i will fight this and hope for the best.
another question, if i get the points removed somehow and pay the fine. is this still considered a conviction to the insurance company?

Yes.