GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Another dumb water pump question

Vance

After an extraordinarily long delay, I finally got the water pump delivered and I’m taking it off now. I seem to have everything loose except for the two main water hoses that have this goofy clips on them. Once the clips are popped out, what’s the secret for pulling the elbows off the pump? I did this once so long ago I can’t remember to save my life, right now, getting them off will figuratively save my life. See photo for what I’m talking about, although most of you probably already know what I’m talking about.

Any advice?

Attachments

• 15C7859C-AC33-455F-8739-53C4C9413CE9.jpeg
    15C7859C-AC33-455F-8739-53C4C9413CE9.jpeg
    830.3 KB · Views: 46

Vance

It’s ‘loose’ now. I can get it o rotate a smidge but it won’t move beyond that. I’ll vine it a tap as suggested though. Thanks for the speedy reply @jay745 !!! You’re quickly becoming my hero 😉

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
It’s ‘loose’ now. I can get it o rotate a smidge but it won’t move beyond that. I’ll vine it a tap as suggested though. Thanks for the speedy reply @jay745 !!! You’re quickly becoming my hero 😉
No problem. You're fighting the rubber seals which have likely bonded to the hose from the heat. Love taps, rotate sides. It'll break free

Vance

So let me shift gears on you in a little bit here. I’m swapping out the intake at the same time I’m doing the water pump and I noticed that there were little vanes in the intake ports of the head. I went ahead and pull these out, cause I wanted to clean them because they were caked with black crap that I can only assume is carbon and how carbon gets on the intake side of the head, where there’s no fuel introduced until after the intake valves on an injected engine, I don’t know, but that’s beside the point.

In the process of cleaning these things, some of those little tabs or pins broke off, one of them literally just fell off when I picked it up the other two I accidentally knocked off when I was cleaning them. Just how important are those pins? Because if I need them, I got to order new vanes; if I don’t need them, then I’m OK. See the pictures for more descriptiveness.

Attachments

• 2E3F0B13-8A75-4F57-B882-4C96A34D899A.jpeg
    2E3F0B13-8A75-4F57-B882-4C96A34D899A.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 33
  • AC94E080-41C9-40DF-91C3-5F3023DF4FA9.jpeg
    AC94E080-41C9-40DF-91C3-5F3023DF4FA9.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 34

Vance

Do those two o-rings inside the two hoses need to be replaced now too? I’m asking because when I got the new water pump, the kit only had one new o-ring in it that size. Seems odd to me to replace only one. I just wanna do things right the first time.

Sadly I can’t find these things locally so I’ll have to order them and have them expedited.

Vance

Get a flathead and place it on the lip, give it some gentle love taps with a hammer and it should break free
Are there replaceable seal/o-rings in the couplers in the first photo in this thread? I recall these sliding on fairly easy when I put them back on. Should there have been some amount of resistance or is there something I need to replace now? In the replacement pump kit I got one odd o-ring. It looks a little small for these and there was only one. If there are replaceable seals, anyone know the part number so I can get them?

Vance

Parts manager at my local VW dealer confirmed there are no replaceable seals/o-rings in the inlet/outlet hoses so I should be good to go to reassemble as it is. YAY!!!

zrickety

The Fixer
Parts manager at my local VW dealer confirmed there are no replaceable seals/o-rings in the inlet/outlet hoses so I should be good to go to reassemble as it is. YAY!!!
.I left those intake vanes out with no ill effects. Better breathing IMO.
Just hit the the inside of those coolant hoses with some silicone spray, it goes a long way with the non-replaceable o-rings. Next time you just give them a little wiggle and they'll come right off.