GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

And there went the AC Compressor.

Dr. Woo

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 VW .:R32
So there I was, driving home from work when the engine started struggling. Something was NOT right. As I'm shifting into fourth gear, the engine just dies. So there I am, coasting on into the closest parking lot with a very concerned look on my face, the battery light staring me in the face. I try to start the car...sputtering, rough noises ensue and the car starts. Not cool. Shut it off, try again. Perfect start. Realize that the AC is blowing out hot air. Uh oh.

Come to find that the car's AC compressor is shot, as I feared. Have a 2007 2.5 Jetta as a loaner while they wait for the part and I miss my baby something fierce. :frown:

nopama

mine went out at 10,000 miles to , In the shop waiting for parts took 2 weeks but they gave me A 2008 passat to drive .My new a/c is much better than before. Good luck!

RJS5689

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
2006 MKV GTI
mine went out at 10,000 miles to , In the shop waiting for parts took 2 weeks but they gave me A 2008 passat to drive .My new a/c is much better than before. Good luck!

VW switched the AC compressor they used. They were having some major issues wit compressors in earlier 06 models. The new compressor is said to improve AC quality 10fold. Sadly i have one of the early 06s with the shitty compressors, point blank, my AC sucks.

dpham00

Modérateur Emeritus
damn...that sucks. unfortunately, it's a common problem tho.

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
a GTI.
just happened to me as well, i have a very early build 06 model (november 05 to be exact) and i'll be taking mine in on monday morning to get the diagnosis. glad to hear the new compressor improves the A/C though

vdubbaby

Fast is the only way!!
Make sure they replace the entire ac system!!! I had them put a new compresser 2 months ago and it worked fine for a month then would take 20 mins to get cool. The tech could not figure out what was wrong with the ac the 2nd time and was on the phone with VW tech assistance for 6 hours trying different things and nothing worked so they had to replace the ENTIRE ac (lines, compresser, dryer, and a bunch of other parts that I never heard of) again. I quess when they just replace the compresser it contaminates the entire system and a flush will not get all the contaminates out so the whole ac system has to go.
Just want to save you guys a trip a month from now?? just looking out!!

Mightyjoe

It is a common problem with the new ac systems. There is a TSB out on the issue. It affects 2005-2008 models. Compressor, condenser, drier, and H block are to be replaced if ac fails. The compressors are internally coming apart and sending contaminants throughout the system.

MKV808

Ready to race!
just happened to me last night. I was driving my car around 40mph wit the AC on...and then I suddenly hear some kind of hissing sound....then I notice my A/C blowing warm air.. I called VW and decided to get a oil change and fix my sunglass holder thingy along with the A/C problem. I hope they give me a loaner car. I really hope the new compressor makes my A/C much colder. Hawaii weather sucks for turbo cars.