GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

All about upgrade spark plugs

Blocko

Rabblerouser
Is it recommended to go one step colder if you're only stage 1?

L0UD0G

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2012 BMW 328i Sport
It is a very debated subject. Many people run the stock plugs and swear that they are fine and don't need to be replaced even with big turbo's. Personally, I think they should be swapped out if you are comfortable doing it. I noticed a smoother idle and smoother power as soon as I changed them out.

DarkstaR

dope freshhhhhhhhhhh
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
Is it recommended to go one step colder if you're only stage 1?

Some people do, some people don't.

I'm considered "Stage 1" with GIAC (Also have DV and intake). I run the NGK Iridiums. The stock plugs did fine as well. What I really like about the NGKs is that he car runs smoother, quieter and the revs are a lot cleaner/smoother.

For Stage 2 applications, it's generally recommended to run colder plugs (Iridiums) although like L0UDG mentioned, some people still run the stock plugs with no problem.

Raven6t9

Noise Pipe Plugs FTW!!!
Car(s)
~MKV GTI~
Some people do, some people don't.

I'm considered "Stage 1" with GIAC (Also have DV and intake). I run the NGK Iridiums. The stock plugs did fine as well. What I really like about the NGKs is that he car runs smoother, quieter and the revs are a lot cleaner/smoother.

For Stage 2 applications, it's generally recommended to run colder plugs (Iridiums) although like L0UDG mentioned, some people still run the stock plugs with no problem.
^summed it up right there^​

UMassJ77

JawnY
Car(s)
MKV GTI DSG
I have been using NGK Iridium BKR7EIX and they work nice, i am on my second set, i find that they will last ~20K miles...before i start getting some cold start issues...when i changed my first set out after 20K they were pretty black with soot.....worse then my STOCK BOSCH ones when i switched to the NGKs.

I also thought about trying the PULSTAR ones, and they are now only $24.99/each off the website. I mean I can't see them doing any harm, except on the website the suggest you call them if you have made any modifications to your engine...etc...etc...I've been meaning to call and find out if I need to go with what pops up for the MKV GTI on their website or something different.

Either way, if anyone has tried the PULSTAR let me know...i was thinking of trying it also, since I am due to swap out my NGK in the next 1000miles.

itisagoodname

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'08 G37S
I have been using NGK Iridium BKR7EIX and they work nice, i am on my second set, i find that they will last ~20K miles...before i start getting some cold start issues...when i changed my first set out after 20K they were pretty black with soot.....worse then my STOCK BOSCH ones when i switched to the NGKs.

I also thought about trying the PULSTAR ones, and they are now only $24.99/each off the website. I mean I can't see them doing any harm, except on the website the suggest you call them if you have made any modifications to your engine...etc...etc...I've been meaning to call and find out if I need to go with what pops up for the MKV GTI on their website or something different.

Either way, if anyone has tried the PULSTAR let me know...i was thinking of trying it also, since I am due to swap out my NGK in the next 1000miles.

... from the M5 boards... just some info on them.

I think the pulstar strategy is seriously flawed. Their commercial hype that claims great benefit assumes the ignition is driven by a 1950 coil with points and condensor or basic electronic switching distributor with primitive "as-is" waveform output.

Waveform shaping occurs in the ignition module these days and it can be tailored or shaped as desired. High speed, high amplitude pulse output is totally feasible and modern coilpacks can easily multiply this waveform without distortion.

Special in-plug circuitry to alter waveform is not helpful or beneficial, IMO. It's just something else to fail.

The mixture either ignites or it doesn't (misfire that can be felt). Combustion energy is not a function of spark energy, so greater horsepower does not result from stronger spark. Once adequate ignition performance is achieved, greater spark energy or magnitude will not provide significant benefit. This is especially true if the car is normally aspirated because the spark is not subject to pressure blowout.
I have one more concern........

This pulse plug will definitely retard timing to some degree, pun intended.

The strategy they use to increase spark magnitude will introduce a delay in the initiation of spark. Since ignition timing is not mechanically adjustable on the M5, this spark forming strategy would seem to have a serious shortcoming. The active knock systems may be able to compensate under most use, but light throttle cruise may see some default delay that could impact efficiency.

Raven6t9

Noise Pipe Plugs FTW!!!
Car(s)
~MKV GTI~
I went with NGK coppers for the heat dissipation issue, Im happy with them.:thumbup:

Quicker10u

Pwned by P90x until....
Car(s)
06' GTI
I have been APR stage 2 for a while now...After Running Road America, I feel comfortable with the stock plugs even under heavy loads. Not one misfire at RA and I was at Full Throttle for 80% of each lap or so...No issues with knock, pre-ignition, or hesitation (with A-revision coil packs, no less). Putting a new set of stock plugs gapped at 28 in next week from ECS. The plugs still look good with little soot or visible electrode wear.

Just my .02 from a high load situation.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
I have been APR stage 2 for a while now...After Running Road America, I feel comfortable with the stock plugs even under heavy loads. Not one misfire at RA and I was at Full Throttle for 80% of each lap or so...No issues with knock, pre-ignition, or hesitation (with A-revision coil packs, no less). Putting a new set of stock plugs gapped at 28 in next week from ECS. The plugs still look good with little soot or visible electrode wear.

Just my .02 from a high load situation.

Interesting. I think I've had the one step colder plugs since 35k and I'm at 62k now.

And holy epic bump lol. I'm jealous you've been to Road America.

Raven6t9

Noise Pipe Plugs FTW!!!
Car(s)
~MKV GTI~
Yeah nice bump Quicker, Have you tried the range colder yet just to see what your difference is? I cant imagine you wouldnt like them, regardless of how the oem plugs perform, and Im actually interested to see how the colder range performs under those conditions as well. And a plus for Road America man.:thumbsup:

TheeFT

That One Guy
Car(s)
Germans
Does anyone know anything about brisk plugs? I've heard good things about them but idk. When the time comes it's either brisk or the Bosch ir fusions.

Last edited:

Raven6t9

Noise Pipe Plugs FTW!!!
Car(s)
~MKV GTI~
Does anyone know anything about brisk plugs? I've heard good things about them but idk. When the time comes it's neither brisk or the Bosch ir fusions.

Ive heard about them, but only from BMW guys. And only heard briefly, nothing firm to stand on.

akaprince

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI BMP 2DR DSG
how often do you guys change your spark plugs?

boki

Ready to race!
Would somebody recommend a few spark plug choices for 09 TSI CBFA's please. I found a set of Bosch ones on ECS but I'd like to find about other options too.

Are Autolite Iridium any good (http://www.sparkplugs.com/results_app.asp?productTypeID=1&AAIA=1443099)

Found Bosch OEM pretty cheap here: http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pr...id&utm_campaign=frooglePN&utm_term=FR6KPP332S

Found the NGK Laser Platinum PFR7S8EG would fit but couldn't find where to buy them.

Couldn't find out if they have Bosch Platinum Fusion's that would fit...?

Also noted that the gap is now 0.032 compared to 0.030 from before.

Any other choices?

Thanks.

Last edited: