GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

All about upgrade spark plugs

Raven6t9

Noise Pipe Plugs FTW!!!
Car(s)
~MKV GTI~
Does anyone have a rough estimate of how often the BKR7EIX will need to be replaced??? I've had mine on for over 20,000 miles.
They are said last 3 times longer than stock so you should still be good, I would replace them abaout twice as much. How did you like those btw? Are they worth the extra mony from the stock ones?

Hey guys what would be the difference in a copper plug vs an iridium plug be (both 1 range coler) other than the iridium lasting 3 times longer? Cus Im finding NGK copper plugs for $8 for a set of 4 and iridium plugs for $36 for a set of 4. Is it really worth the extra money for iridium?

Last edited:

stringshifter6

Nom Nom Nom
Car(s)
2007 GTI
NGK plugs use a copper core with an iridium electrode tip. This is what makes them last longer. The iridium also allows a finer electrode tip which is supposed to reduce quench and firing voltage requirements. Copper has better conductivity but strength requirements mean the electrode is usually around 1.1mm vs the .7mm tip of fine wire plugs. Fine wire plugs are "supposed" to be more reliable in firing which is where the advantage comes in.

Raven6t9

Noise Pipe Plugs FTW!!!
Car(s)
~MKV GTI~
Well both of the ones that I found are NGK, one is copper, one is iridium.
So basically one is supposed to be more "relyable" of a spark?

SoNgMaN

I Void Warranties
Car(s)
2010 4dr UG TDI HL
i used the ngk BCPR8EVX-11 and had them gapped to 0.030" it works great if u chipped with water/meth

how come you went down to an 8?

SoNgMaN

I Void Warranties
Car(s)
2010 4dr UG TDI HL
Well both of the ones that I found are NGK, one is copper, one is iridium.
So basically one is supposed to be more "relyable" of a spark?

copper ones are good but they only last an oil change or 2 at most. cheap but you're replacing them all the time.

Raven6t9

Noise Pipe Plugs FTW!!!
Car(s)
~MKV GTI~
copper ones are good but they only last an oil change or 2 at most. cheap but you're replacing them all the time.
Yeah but they only last about 3 times as much as iridium but are less than 1/3 of the price. I figured since Im already doing my own oil changes, removing the spark plugs arent that hard to do at the same time and it saves me some pocket money.

stringshifter6

Nom Nom Nom
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Buy a set of iridiums at ~7 dollars each and replace them at ~30 thousand mile intervals. I understand that you are trying to save money but coppers wear out very quickly. A reliable spark is what you are after. No plug will increase your performance, ever.

L0UD0G

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2012 BMW 328i Sport
I prefer the copper plugs. I have both and the copper seem to perform better. The copper heat up quicker but also dissipate heat better and you don't have to worry about breaking the fine tip of the iridium ones. I have a shortcut to an in depth writeup about this on another computer and ill post it later, its pretty interesting.

Raven6t9

Noise Pipe Plugs FTW!!!
Car(s)
~MKV GTI~
Buy a set of iridiums at ~7 dollars each and replace them at ~30 thousand mile intervals. I understand that you are trying to save money but coppers wear out very quickly. A reliable spark is what you are after. No plug will increase your performance, ever.
I understand that good spark plugs are no substitute for a big turbo, I just cant justify paying nearly $50 for spark plugs. Now if I could find them locally and not have to pay the $15 for shipping then it might be a little easier.

Raven6t9

Noise Pipe Plugs FTW!!!
Car(s)
~MKV GTI~
I prefer the copper plugs. I have both and the copper seem to perform better. The copper heat up quicker but also dissipate heat better and you don't have to worry about breaking the fine tip of the iridium ones. I have a shortcut to an in depth writeup about this on another computer and ill post it later, its pretty interesting.
I'd like to see it.