GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

alarm and auto starter...

koreaniverson

Autocross Champion
did anyone have automatic starter on manual GTI? i was told that most places will not install the starter on manual since if you dont leave the gear on neutral and start the car the car will move... i had the auto starter on my last car and it was the bomb, especially in winter but now i dont know whether i should take the chance of getting it done... holla1

Oscar

Touring Car Newbie
get it done i had it on my old 5speed 240 and i never leave the car in gear makes it alot nicer in winter

etang789

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Its a nice feature, but i wont get it coz i really like the simple key fob that vw/audi have now ... dont want any extra remote hanging around

atomoverride

Ruler of Omicron Persei 8
is there a vw solution? wheres that german engineering?

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I had a remote starter installed on my civic and never had a issue with leaving it in gear. I am the only one who drives the car and I have trained myself to not leave it in gear. I took the car apart a bit today in the bay and did some research online. So far the alarm and keyless will be a pain. Have to go through the door loom...which is a plug. So I am gonna have to drill out wire passages in the plug. This is where you access the trunk, fuel door, and door locks.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Started the install and I have some of the wires figured out. I could post em up in a sticky after I figure them all out. Most of them are the same as the MKV jetta....but of course some are not. For starters the trunk pop, fuel door pop, and door triggers, hood pin, trunk pin are supposed to be behinde the glove box. I'll know tomorrow if those are true. The other way to the trunk pop and fuel door is to get them in the door. You have to get the door lock wires in the door anyway. I'll post a complete list later. I already have the Jetta wires if anyone needs them.

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
How would the car go anywhere if the e-brake is on and no gas is being applied. If anything it might move the distance a stall takes as it lurches forward. I'm also curious why people would leave the car in gear anyway? is it just forgetting or being lazy or what?

GTI2007

Leaving it in gear keeps the car from rolling without having to use the e-brake. I always park my car in gear and it has never rolled a single inch while being parked.

dwl137

Touring Car Champion
personally I always leave it in gear AND use the e-brake. If you just leave it in gear without the e-brake then the entire weight of the car is being held just by the gears. Not an issue on a flat surface but a slight hill and it's not so good. Just leaving it in neutral and using the e-brake could be an issue if the e-brake fails.

My friend used to do this till he parked on a hill (his driveway) with the e-brake and in neutral and came out the next morning to find is car at the bottom of the driveway because the cable used to hold the e-brake on had snapped. Just a little extra precaution to use both imho. I sure do.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
On a new car if the cable snaps the dealership has to worry about it. If you maintain your car the parking brake is just fine. If your parking brake does not keep the car from rolling then you need to have the brakes serviced anyways. On a steep hill then you are supposed to turn your wheels to wards the curb and yes...I would put it in gear. I have seen cars pop out of gear though when using this method too. Now using remote start and leaving the car in gear you are asking for trouble. I have seen cars take off. Remote starters do not just try once to start the car. Often times they will try three times and then quit. A remote starter can be the equivalent to popping the clutch.

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
GTI2007 said:
Leaving it in gear keeps the car from rolling without having to use the e-brake. I always park my car in gear and it has never rolled a single inch while being parked.

Is it hard to pull the lever and be sure it won't move? I dunno this is new to me. I live in the middle of the country so I don't ever park on any kind of inclines.

GTI2007

MHS216 said:
Is it hard to pull the lever and be sure it won't move? I dunno this is new to me. I live in the middle of the country so I don't ever park on any kind of inclines.

But here in Europe it can get pretty damn cold in the winter and if you pull up your e-brake and it freeses hard at night your e-brake could freeses. But when it's not to cold and it's a bit sloping where I park my car I put it in gear and I also pull up my e-brake. If the car stands on an even surface I just put it in gear and don't even bother to pull up my e-brake.

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
I know what it means to be cold. We have numerous straight days where -20F is the high for the day, almost -30C, and it would easily get down to -35F or so at night. I never had my brake freeze. I figured out why there are issues leaving the car in gear with a remote starter. Thanks Loccusst.

Now, what about the fact that the clutch has to be engaged to start the car. Is this bypassed with the remote starter?

GTI2007

Most of the auto starters are developed for automatic gearbox cars so they don't have anything that bypasses the engaging of the clutch to start a car with a manual gearbox that stands in gear.