GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

air con dead

Mungus

Wonder what our problem is?

Hi,

First post! Our 2007 Golf comfortline was fine except that our A/C stopped producing cold air yesterday. Noticed a few months back that it was getting less effective at making cold air, now it just blows warm! No sound or feeling of power loss when swithcing it on so guess the compressor isn't working. (Fan comes on and RPM goes up slightly though, so the logic of the control is OK). :iono:

Just our luck our 3 year warranty ran out 2 months ago! Hoping that VW OZ will come to the party being a known fault... However have read stories both ways on this thread. Pretty poor if they expect you to cough up $3500 AUD for a common fault that they knew about (maybe it should have been a recall or scheduled service swap out item...).:paddle:

Hopeful too that it might just be a pressure switch and / or regas! Not looking forward to this visit to Essendon VW! :fighting0030:

revdes

My compressor has died for the 2nd time. It was first replaced in Jan 2009 on a 2007 car. Now the car is out of warranty, and the 2 year warranty on parts is up on the air con too. Taking the car in Thursday 12th May, and really not looking forward to it. I can't really be expected to pay for it, can I? Ridiculous.

As much as I want to champion VW, I've had a broken lumbar motor, twice broken air-con, a broken non-return valve (or something like that), a rattly sunroof and a delayed delivery because they lost the keys. Really not good enough.

johno

Volkswagen Autoliebhaber
Car(s)
R32
I guess the 3 door Gtis made in Germany are not immune to quality control issues. If it's costing you too much mate think about selling her. The other thing is I think 3 year extended new car warranty is worthwhile given the number of probs people have had with the mkv's post standard warranty.

johno

Volkswagen Autoliebhaber
Car(s)
R32
vw still don't have the reliability of toyotas. Coming from Toyota to my mkv gti back in 2006 was a shock. In my first year of ownership I had a file of warranty jobs. I even used to have coffee with my service manager in Liverpool coz I used to be there heaps haha

Nath

Paddle Shiffter
mine died today 07' - thanks to this thread i know to keep my cool ( :cool: ) and speak to VW when its due for a service early next month - have extended warranty too :)

Lams

Ready to race!
my '06 caddy and '06 eos both did this
on the eos it was so out of control that with the aircon turned off the compressor was still engaged, so it was working and freezing the occupants. but the ECU wasn't aware of this so the car would stall and drive really badly.
In the Caddy we were going through Mackay to whitsunday, 38C day, stormy outside.
The eos was 2 months out of warranty but they covered it for me...
Seem to affect 08 and earlier cars only?

RICK_DIZZLE

Banned
Car(s)
07 UG GTI
Mine has a issue at idle where hot air comes out...Solution so far is to rev to about 2k turn the A/C on and it works. Im lost.

jjmkvgti

Just wondering is this a common problem among all MK5s? e.g. 2006/7/8/9?...Or just specific to a few production years? I would imagine they recitify things in the later productions....

I've heard this advise before, could be a workshop myth/legend..but i tend to keep it in mind :thumbsup:...it is always recommended to NOT use the compressor when pushing the car (especially accelaration). No matter how well built is the compressor is, under heavy engine load (especially turbos)...something will eventually give...

Also the oil in the compressor is something crucial to the little bugger. Not sure when is the VW recommended service intervals for ACs though...

I had other cars before with compressors that broke because the oil is so dirty, the pistons/valves inside is scraping against the compressor's wall. Eventually the bits get leaked into the system clogging things up and total failure happens.

Living in a cooler climate we should expect to have the longest compressor lifespan! In tropical places, its on everytime you drive and typically 3 years is roughly time when it breaks. More so for european cars because of small compressor build/design...

Try to use more ECON mode i believe? :iono:

jesse085

Passed Driver's Ed
Just wondering is this a common problem among all MK5s? e.g. 2006/7/8/9?...Or just specific to a few production years? I would imagine they recitify things in the later productions....
:

Mines a June 06 build so would definitely fit the "failure" production time period, but (touch wood) I am still on my original compressor. I would say it was a bad batch rather then an entire faulty production otherwise VW AU surely would have issued a recall by now. Either way I'm glad its becoming cooler now so if mine does pack it in, Ive got 6-8 months to cry about it.

revdes

Little bit of a follow up: Took the car in to Barloworld Glen Waverley today and they confirmed faulty compressor. They had a new one in stock, and replaced it for only 50% of the labour costs, so $277 all up. Considering the cost of the compressor itself is around $1200, I'm reasonably happy with the outcome.

Credit to Volkspower for looking at the car for the day at no cost (and providing a courtesy car) to make sure it wasn't a simpler issue after just getting the car serviced there.

Maverick

Go Kart Champion

They did but there are still problems even with the replacement compressors.

Volkswagen Golf, GTI, Passat, Jetta and Eos Air Conditioner Compressor Failure

Volkswagen Golf, GTI, Passat, Jetta, EOS, Rabbit and Tiguan Air Conditioner Compressor Failure

I've heard this advise before, could be a workshop myth/legend..but i tend to keep it in mind :thumbsup:...it is always recommended to NOT use the compressor when pushing the car (especially accelaration). No matter how well built is the compressor is, under heavy engine load (especially turbos)...something will eventually give...

It's BS. Most cars disengage the compressor at WOT. The VW compressor is a variable displacement design so operates all the time between 2% and 100%.

Sanden PXE16 Air Conditioner Compressor Specifications (1K0820803)

Also the oil in the compressor is something crucial to the little bugger. Not sure when is the VW recommended service intervals for ACs though...

There isn't one, it's a sealed system and should not need refilling unless there is a leak.

Living in a cooler climate we should expect to have the longest compressor lifespan! In tropical places, its on everytime you drive and typically 3 years is roughly time when it breaks. More so for european cars because of small compressor build/design...

Try to use more ECON mode i believe? :iono:

The AC is on all the time, it makes no difference what mode you put it into you're not going to prolong it's life.