GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ABS/Traction Control Issue

Omoitsurugi

Passed Driver's Ed
I just had the problem again the other day, took a round about a little hard lost a little traction and had the beeps and the lights come on. When I brought the car in under warranty in VA they could not reproduce the problem so did not fix, but now I'm in Spain and by the time I get back my car will be out of warranty, might as well get the control module and a local repair shop to install it.

Sent from my Phablet using Tapatalk.

neonphase

Durp
Car(s)
09 MKV GTI TSI
OK so just dropped of my GTI with this problem telling them that I think its the ABS controller module and guess what they found? The ABS controller module needs to be replaced. The fun part is that they were actually able to replicate the problem.

So they say that the people who I have my warrantie threw have to send a representative out to inspect the problem before VW can proceed with any work.
I am a little concerned with this but you know what if I was about to be charged $2100 in warrantie repairs I think I would like to see what needs to be done as well.

I really cant see them pinning a failed ABS controller module on any mods that i have done to the car. I mean yea I did all the upgrades one can do to there front breaks with out actually getting the big break upgrade but that dose not effect the ABS module.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Warranty companies like to take your money but not pay it out. Hope they sign off and fix it for you. I haven't had the lights come on in months...might buy the updated module next year.

neonphase

Durp
Car(s)
09 MKV GTI TSI
Just got my phone call with VW,
The Warrantie company came out and inspected my car and work will start as soon as the part comes in.

So my $2700 for 2 year full coverage warrantie has now paid off. Well at lest $2100 of it so that means I now have 2 years for something ells to go wrong. by then it will be 110K miles

When I pick up my car I should be able to get exact pricing but I know that at least $1500+ has been spent being that the only reason the warrantie company comes sends some one out is if the price of the warrantie work exceeds $1500

sovietsky19

Go Kart Champion
The weirdest thing happened. This ABS problem that I had on sharp turns has disappeared on its own. I went to the mountains and tried everything possible to set it off but nothing happened. Keeping fingers crossed!

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Same here. I will wait to buy the module and FYI I'm at 100k. Not a fan of extended warranties but I do my own service.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
I wonder if it's a loose connector. I've heard people take them off and reconnect with good results. But it's definitely a common problem with the 09 module.

sovietsky19

Go Kart Champion
I wonder if it's a loose connector. I've heard people take them off and reconnect with good results. But it's definitely a common problem with the 09 module.

I did take off my front end while back to install an s3 intercooler. Maybe one of the connectors was not plugged in correctly. No idea. Does anyone know where the ABS connector is located so I can check?

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
I believe it's on the module near the firewall and then there are the wheel sensors.

sovietsky19

Go Kart Champion
I believe it's on the module near the firewall and then there are the wheel sensors.

Do you know where the wheel sensors are?

kern417

Go Kart Champion
the module is on the firewall. look below the coolant ball next to the turbo inlet and you'll see it. the connectors on each of the wheels are on the brake calipers if i remember correctly.

jltrex

Just got my ABS control module problem with my '09 GTI at 49k miles last week. My dashboard warning lights all came on suddenly one morning, and then disappeared. Then happened again in the evening when I was driving back home from work. I had the dealer looked at it and paid $1600 out of pocket to have it replaced this week.

If this ABS problem is so common among '09 GTI models, why isn't VW doing a recall? Is there anyway to report this?