GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ABS/Traction Control Issue

k3v0

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 GTI
my car has been in the shop while they diagnose the issue, they've been looking at it since monday trying to pin down exactly what's going on :(

sovietsky19

Go Kart Champion
my car has been in the shop while they diagnose the issue, they've been looking at it since monday trying to pin down exactly what's going on :(

Are they paying for the diagnostics? Is VWoA covering your charges?

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
Car(s)
981 Cayman & GTI SE
Are they paying for the diagnostics? Is VWoA covering your charges?

at minimum you should be able to get that done for free. also check your dealers websites for service coupons. you might find a "free error check" coupon

k3v0

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 GTI
i'm out of warranty so I don't know. they did give me a loaner while they sort things out. Now they think it could be a voltage issue causing the ABS module to freak out. The current theory is it's related to my aftermarket radio since that apparently drained the battery, which I had never experienced before. I dropped off my stock radio and they are going to pull out the aftermarket one and see if they are still seeing issues.

sovietsky19

Go Kart Champion
i'm out of warranty so I don't know. they did give me a loaner while they sort things out. Now they think it could be a voltage issue causing the ABS module to freak out. The current theory is it's related to my aftermarket radio since that apparently drained the battery, which I had never experienced before. I dropped off my stock radio and they are going to pull out the aftermarket one and see if they are still seeing issues.

Keep us updated, I have a Chinese OEM RCD-510 that I bought from Ebay, also I have projector fog lamps that might cause the voltage issue.

bugz1130

ok so i had this same problem in my 09 rabbit. After reading thru all these threads seems like alot of 09's have this problem. I contacted VWOA and got no help. Everyone should call and harass them and maybe they will list this as a recall or something. Long story short i replaced the module yesterday and now i am having a problem coding it. Got most of the codes accepted except the control module.. Keep getting a message that the setting/adaptation is incorrect. Has anyone seen this issue and know of a way to fix this? I found the factory codes that are on a sticker in the trunk but don't know what is what on it. Is there a hard reset or something to get it working?

k3v0

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 GTI
got the call today (not april fools call hopefully) that the ABS module is causing a short which is fucking up all the other sensors that feed into it. No problems with my radio. I'm paying out of pocket and i'll follow up with VWOA to see if they will help me out but i'm not betting on it. on the bright side my dealership has given me a loaner since i brought it in which i really appreciate.

Metalmilitia306

Mario Kart 64 Champion
Car(s)
car
thats pretty much what happened to me, had the ABS control module replaced and it was all good.

Omoitsurugi

Passed Driver's Ed
I just brought my car into the dealer today for the same problem, they gave me a loaner hopefully it doesn't take too long because we have to ship our car out soon for our move over seas. Same year 2009, we just bought the car as a cpo, and luckily this is covered.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

sovietsky19

Go Kart Champion
got the call today (not april fools call hopefully) that the ABS module is causing a short which is fucking up all the other sensors that feed into it. No problems with my radio. I'm paying out of pocket and i'll follow up with VWOA to see if they will help me out but i'm not betting on it. on the bright side my dealership has given me a loaner since i brought it in which i really appreciate.

Keep us updated. Looks like this ABS module problems only happens to 2009 GTI's. Sucks :cry:

k3v0

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 GTI
ABS module was replaced, brakes bled and she runs like a peach now although i haven't done any fun braking to really test it since it's been raining.

k3v0

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 GTI
did some fun driving since things dried out here and i haven't had the ABS/brake/ESP light come on at all.

dumbitdown

Hey, everyone. A couple months ago my abs module started to act up.

ECS, Traction, ABS light came on. Didn't take it to the dealership due to time constraints. Just reset the light everytime by turning the car off&on.

Two months later got a CEL due to misfiring. Took it to the dealership for the CEL & ABS module.

CEL= Carbon build up.

The technician tried to write the faulty abs module as the stability control kicking in. I wasn't having any of that so I took him for a spin around the block. In less than 10seconds I activated the fault. Easiest & safest way is to slalom the car very quickly for anyone trying to recreate the fault.

Tech had no choice to replace it under warranty. I got a loaner for 5 days.

Granted, I bought my GTI as a certified pre-owned vehicle about a year and 8 months ago, and the abs module was replaced under warranty and I just had to pay a $50 deductible.

That was the least of my worries. A couple days later two fuel injectors go bad due to the carbon build up. Get that fixed. $400 out of my pocket for the carbon fix up that VW should either pay for or cover half the cost due to DI design. But that's a argument for another day.

A week later, my car skips timing. Been at the dealership ever since Memorial Day weekend, getting a partial rebuilt, all under warranty. :frown:

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
How many miles on your car with all these issues??