GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

5000 mile service - rear brake pads gone.

mkvroom

I have a 2007 GLI Fahrenheit, and the rear pads wore around 39,000 miles this past April. Since I didn't hear a sensor alerting me enough in advance, I could not get the service done at my local VW because of time constraints. This chain location serviced the rears with what was supposed to be their best pads and rotor package. However, last week (9/10/10) (I also experienced premature wear, even given the fact I drive 50 miles one way to work, stop and go on the parkway). I happened to be at VW the day before to get my 50,000 mile service performed, when they alerted me to the rear brakes. I immediately contacted the shop I went to. These pads were semi-metallic and the rotors and pads were worn almost to their respective ends. I too suspect they were dragging, either by the e-brake not adjusted properly, or some other reason. Relative to the original pads, my rotors were always too hot, sometimes overheated, there was always too much brake dust. I now have ceramic pads and new, solid rotors in the rear. I have noticed better gas mileage too, so there may be something to all this. In any case, I would like to know how to adjust the e-brake cable as well. I used to do it no problem on my GM vehicles as a kid. I am hoping it is that easy again.

Of course they're going to be hot you got a Fahrenheit! where's your left foot when u drive?

mkvroom

You're right, I don't think I ever drive slow anymore. I'm sure every other driver in the same commute on the Merritt Parkway knows my yellow VW.
It is nimble, quick and responsive and wants to be driven above 55! (or 60 as the limit is now here). I have become quite the "pilot" dodging, bobbing and weaving to get ahead of the slowpokes on the commute. And that's just during the week, on the weekends it's a whole 'nother story!

yeah... I work there I think I know the car ....mets. Next time i see you i might be handing you a ticket

Dredknut

DSG Fart Fanatic
Car(s)
2007 GTI
I JUST did my pads, rotors and fluid at 65k miles. In terms of pads, the rears were pretty much done and were starting to squeal on me, the fronts had plenty of life left. In terms of rotors, both front and rear rotors had plenty of life left, I'm just anal and wanted to replace them anyways. Fluid was way overdue.

I also installed the Tyrolsport bushings at this point as well. With new OEM rotors, fluid, Hawk HPS pads and Tyrolsport bushings the difference between the stock setup with 65k miles on it and this brand new setup is like night and day. I love how much stiffer the pedal is now and I feel like I have loads more stopping power.