$40k stock Acura Integra Type R

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
10k miles and unmolested. Super rare!

MKJBM05

Passed Driver's Ed
A car like that would not last 5 minutes parked in the street. Who ever buys this better keep it securely garaged lol

Gorgeous machine

- MKJBM05

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Nice car

Ford GT and a NSX lurking in the background too:

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
The owner of that ITR definitely has money. It doesn't seem to be some young kid who pieced together a car just to sell on eBay.

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
I'm going to be in the minority here, but to put that in perspective, $40k is brand new Golf R money. Way too expensive unless you want it for sentimental value (and this is coming from someone who used to own a DC2 GS-R). Or buy an FR-S and get the same package with RWD.

ViR

The Russian
Car(s)
2013 GTI
Its for all the fan boys..

There was a kid growing up and you wanted Type R but had no money and had to buy a beat up Civic.. Now that kid became a lawyer with all kinds of money. He is going to buy that car just so he can have it in his garage (just like previous owner).

I mean if you have Ford GT and NSX, do you NEED Type R for any other reason than "Just cause I wanna!" ?

If I get rich I would love to get a mint original GTI and E30 M3..... just because.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
A GSR is not a Type R, but I see what you're saying. The engine in the FRS is a joke compared to the ITR. When you figure inflation, it's probably the same cost as new.

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
The engine in the FRS is a joke compared to the ITR.

I can see why you might think that based on people's overblown criticism of the FR-S engine, but the truth is it makes more hp and torque across the board than the ITR engine. Also easier to mod for power.

In terms of engines:

Honda K20 > Subaru FA20 > Honda B18

Sonnytron

Ready to race!
I can see why you might think that based on people's overblown criticism of the FR-S engine, but the truth is it makes more hp and torque across the board than the ITR engine. Also easier to mod for power.

In terms of engines:

Honda K20 > Subaru FA20 > Honda B18

Not even in the slightest. You couldn't be more wrong.

108.5 horsepower per liter, engineered in the mid 90's. some of you were barely born when this engine was in production. A nearly perfect rod:stroke ratio, fine tuned with an 8500 RPM fuel cut off redline. Fitted with a limited slip differential. Also remember that FWD cars only lose about 15% to the drivetrain versus RWD cars.

And before you say "The BRZ will dust it on a track." You'd be wrong about that too. The Integra Type R DC2 ran an 8:43 on the Nurburgring versus an 8:44 from the FT86 with RE050's (and that's in BRZ trim, no less). Oh and better tires makes it non stock/stock comparison. Meaning you need a full set of tires just to compete with the Type R as it left the lot 18 years ago. Without those tires the FT86 ran a 9:09.

Also keep in mind that the RE010's were great "at the time" but would be significantly disadvantaged versus even a Conti DWS in grip. Throw a set of RE050's on the ITR and 8:43 turns to 8:3x or even better.

In fact, I'll just go ahead and end with this: It will take you a long time to find the article but I remember quite clearly, the Integra Type R bested the AP1 S2000 on all non-acceleration based tests. It was seconds faster on road courses. You know, the same S2000 that beat the FT86 in every comparison metric.

Sorry bud, but your facts are far off.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35199

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
I love the idea of owning something like that, but this has turned into a collector piece.... I wouldn't buy it because I couldn't drive it liked I'd like.

Then again, track days don't add that many miles to a car. I could just pull it everywhere and wail on it when I get there.

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
Not even in the slightest. You couldn't be more wrong.

108.5 horsepower per liter, engineered in the mid 90's. some of you were barely born when this engine was in production. A nearly perfect rod:stroke ratio, fine tuned with an 8500 RPM fuel cut off redline. Fitted with a limited slip differential. Also remember that FWD cars only lose about 15% to the drivetrain versus RWD cars.

Uhh no. :rolleyes:

HP/L and redline are poor ways to measure how good an engine is. Rod to stroke ratio is nearly as irrelevant. Here's a great quote from a race-engine builder:

"If I had to make a list of the ten most important specifications in a racing engine, connecting rod length would rank about fiftieth. Back in the days when Buddy Morrison and I built dozens of small-block Modified motors, we earnestly believed that an engine needed a 1.9:1 rod/stroke ratio. Today every Pro Stock team uses blocks with super-short deck heights, and we couldn't care less about the rod ratio. A short deck height improves the alignment between the intake manifold runners and the cylinder head intake ports, and helps to stabilize the valvetrain. These are much more important considerations than the rod-to-stroke ratio." -David Reher

Also being able to rev high is just a means to making power, not the goal itself. Do you really believe the B18C5 is better than an LSX engine because it has more HP/L, higher redline, or R-S ratio? Ricers in the 90's made those kind of arguments...

For most enthusiasts comparing small engines like this, you're better off looking at which engine makes more horsepower stock (FA20), which engine makes more torque across the board stock (FA20), which engine makes more power with basic bolt-ons (FA20), and which engine makes more power reliably with boost (FA20). Because at the end of the day, what matters is how much power you're making and how reliably.

Limited slip differential (which the FR-S also comes with) and drivetrain losses are completely irrelevant here. When I say the FA20 is making more hp and torque, I'm talking about on the dyno.

Lastly I don't even know what to say about your insanely stupid straw man arguments. If you want to argue against yourself like some crazy homeless guy fine but don't pretend to speak for me. Not to mention how wrong you are about the RE010's on the ITR.

And before you say "The BRZ will dust it on a track." You'd be wrong about that too. The Integra Type R DC2 ran an 8:43 on the Nurburgring versus an 8:44 from the FT86 with RE050's (and that's in BRZ trim, no less). Oh and better tires makes it non stock/stock comparison. Meaning you need a full set of tires just to compete with the Type R as it left the lot 18 years ago. Without those tires the FT86 ran a 9:09.

Also keep in mind that the RE010's were great "at the time" but would be significantly disadvantaged versus even a Conti DWS in grip. Throw a set of RE050's on the ITR and 8:43 turns to 8:3x or even better.

Last edited: