GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

3D Printer & C.A.D. Thread

AzteCypher

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
So, 7hrs into my print last night and the thinnest, outermost edges started lifting. Increased bed temp to 70C just to be safe and so far so good with 30hrs left on the print.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Just wondering if anyone else does thing.

Before I start any print I:
1. Pre heat JUST the bed. My reasoning for this is that my hot end can get to 210 real quick, my bed takes forever getting to 60. I let that get close to where I'll be printing.
2. "Auto Home" so the printer knows where it is, then raise the z position up about 30 mm.
3. Start the print - this triggers the prewarming of the bed and hot end. During this portion as the hot end is heating up some filament will start to ooze out. Before the printer "auto home" itself again I grab my pliers and pull off this excess filament. I do this to avoid having it start collecting on my nozzle.
4. Print starts, printer purges the remaining filament that oozes out

Last edited:

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Just wondering if anyone else does thing.

Before I start any print I:
1. Pre heat JUST the bed. My reasoning for this is that my hot end can get to 210 real quick, my bed takes forever getting to 60. I let that get close to where I'll be printing.
2. "Auto Home" so the printer knows where it is, then raise the z position up about 30 mm.
3. Start the print - this triggers the prewarming of the bed and hot end. During this portion as the hot end is heating up some filament will start to ooze out. Before the printer "auto home" itself again I grab my pliers and pull off this excess filament. I do this to avoid having it start collecting on my nozzle.
4. Print starts, printer purges the remaining filament that oozes out
I do similar except the preheat. It doesn’t matter anyways as the start g code pauses heating of the hotend and bed until the mesh is complete. I sometimes collect the ooze but the purge line usually takes care of that for me and the skirt will catch the rest.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
After I hit print:

Extruded will move to preset location.
Hot end and bed heat up.
Once target temps are reached auto bed leveling happens.
Purge line in the front
Starts printing.

If I am printing ABS I’ll preheat the bed and let the chamber come up in temp a little before starting.

If I happen to catch it I will pull the ooze off but usually the purge line or skirt will get it like gixxer said.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Looks like I’ll be going to ERRF this year. My wife offered to ride along even though this is too high on the geek scale for her. I just ordered the bulk of parts for a Mercury One.1 build and I’m stoked. I’ve wanted to build a Voron, but this will get my close with half the admission price.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
Looks like I’ll be going to ERRF this year. My wife offered to ride along even though this is too high on the geek scale for her. I just ordered the bulk of parts for a Mercury One.1 build and I’m stoked. I’ve wanted to build a Voron, but this will get my close with half the admission price.

What day you going? I’ll probably be going on Sunday.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Parts started arriving. I have cleared an area in my basement to build a bench for it. I have parts to build an enclosure for my Ender 3 for my ASA parts I need to print. I’m waiting on the extruder and hot end as well as all the electronics. There’s some odds and ends, but I’m not marathoning the build. I’m going to take my time and really just enjoy the process.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Wheeeee!! More parts arrived.

My BTT controller with drivers and CANBUS boards came. Hot end fans arrived as well. Still waiting on hot end parts. I ordered the acrylic for the electronics enclosure too. That will be a couple of weeks.
71339106885__73283E46-DA69-4BB6-9F8A-62509F6AA30D.jpeg

I also picked up a new tool. It may be the nicest tool I own and I own too many tools.

71339119009__E242BDD9-9777-4DD2-9B32-6B727C3640AC.jpeg

I’m excited to try it out.

Started putting together my enclosure for my Ender 3 so I can print this ASA. Started doing calibration prints for now, but will start tuning it more once the enclosure is done.

71323133820__FB00CF0B-64D3-48C7-BF2B-E2BE98ED6A76.jpeg

First (ever) print, second and third. Not bad for no enclosure and never printing with it before. I know I can get it better.