GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

235x18x40 on an 8inch rim causing vibration

mickyg1969

Ok guys, decided to start a new thread as l am experiencing an issue still with my tryes on an 8 inch rim.

So far l have had these tyres balanced 4 times by numerous techniques, i.e thrust balance, on car balance, having tyres taken of and re seated etc to no avail.

Managed to get 2 out of the 4 changed as they were shown to have excessive lateral and radial runout.

My question is..... can 235x18x40 fit properly onto an 8 inch rim? CAN it cause problems with balance being that a 225x40x18 is more ideal?

Has anyone experienced somethng similar going from a 225 to a 235 size??

I am realy directing this at people who know about tyres here and have some backround experience with tyres or have worked in the trade to give me some expert advice.

Look forward to your replies.

Thanks

RobbyJai

Passed Driver's Ed
does this vibration happen at low speeds ? high speeds??? you might have issues with the rims itself. you tried rotating the rims to see if the vibration increases or decreases ?

mickyg1969

no hubcentric rings used. The wheels are aftermarket r32 wheels, but they are fine as l used to have bridgestine s03's on them without a problem. The only thing that has changed is the tyre width from 225 to 235. Im at a loss but as l said 2 out of the 4 when purchased new had runout, so were replaced with new ones. They are a reputable brand and and claim to not have these issues????

mickyg1969

As strange as it sounds, l had to change my tyres back to 225x18x40 rather than the 235 option as this was confirmed as causing the vibration issue with my steering. Now riding on conti sport 3's and feels a whole lot better than the tyre l was having issues with.

thanks to all for their input.