GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2022 Formula 1 Season

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Alright so before I potentially catch a bunch of shit for posting this in the F1 thread and I'll clarify that I don't watch Nascar unless Raikkonen is driving... I still felt that those in this thread would appreciate the balls on Nascar's Ross Chastain.

I can't believe they're going to allow that to stand. It's going to set a bad precedent for races going forward.

mwoodski

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf SW 4mo
I can't believe they're going to allow that to stand. It's going to set a bad precedent for races going forward.
There will be a rule about it going forward, I can almost guarantee it. It's one of those "it's never worked before(Carl Edwards tried it in 2009 at Kansas and it didn't work) and now that someone's done it we'll find a way to legislate it out on safety grounds" things.

Someone on the bird app suggested they call it the Ross Chastain Rule and also erect a monument for it at the track, so it would be banned but not in a disparaging way going forward.

That said, if Ross never wins another race or does anything more in his career of note(unlikely), he'll still forever be in the history books and talked about when it comes to the history of the sport, and that's pretty cool if you're a driver.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
It'll be banned/rule put in place, but realistically, he had some wild luck for that to work out the way that it did. I'd imagine most attempts would end in with the car stopping shortly after wall contact, missing more than a few parts.

I do agree regardless of what he does in the future, he has a defining moment in the sport and it'll always be there. There are much worse ways to gain notoriety in motorsports.

mwoodski

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf SW 4mo
It'll be banned/rule put in place, but realistically, he had some wild luck for that to work out the way that it did. I'd imagine most attempts would end in with the car stopping shortly after wall contact, missing more than a few parts.
Correct. The SAFER barrier also helped because without it there woulda been a nasty hit to the crossover gate in T4 he would have suffered.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
So, with little hope, I logged on to the American Express cardmember early bird pre-sale for the '23 Vegas Grand Prix on Tuesday. Unfortunately, I had to pass on the $2,814.40/each tickets.

I'll stick to Montreal.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Yiiiiiiiiikes. I wonder if the hype will still drive ticket prices for '24. I heard GA was around $500.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Yiiiiiiiiikes. I wonder if the hype will still drive ticket prices for '24. I heard GA was around $500.
Yes, the price I quoted was for grandstand seating across from the pits, same place I sat at Montreal in 2017 for $300 for my 3-day pass. $2,500 plus $314.40 in Ticketmaster fees for Vegas is sheer lunacy.

The $500 tickets (not including the Ticketmaster rape fee) are standing room only.

I'll enjoy this race, which may very well be meaningless by November if Red Bull continues its utter dominance, from the comfort of my living room, which will not be marked up 300-400% like Vegas hotels that wekend.

mwoodski

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf SW 4mo
Yes, the price I quoted was for grandstand seating across from the pits, same place I sat at Montreal in 2017 for $300 for my 3-day pass. $2,500 plus $314.40 in Ticketmaster fees for Vegas is sheer lunacy.

The $500 tickets (not including the Ticketmaster rape fee) are standing room only.

I'll enjoy this race, which may very well be meaningless by November if Red Bull continues its utter dominance, from the comfort of my living room, which will not be marked up 300-400% like Vegas hotels that wekend.
I'll be watching it the following morning because it starts at 10p local and I don't feel like staying up til 1a for the start.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
I'll be watching it the following morning because it starts at 10p local and I don't feel like staying up til 1a for the start.

True that. It's like a race at Suzuka. 🤣

mwoodski

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf SW 4mo
So the good thing about the Japanese GP is that it usually falls on the same weekend as the Bathurst 1000 and usually starts RIGHT after the 1000 finishes.

A large group of friends and I generally pull the marathon and watch the 1000 and roll right into the Japanese GP still on a high from Bathurst. So we're watching racing from ~530p to 3a that day/night.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI

I just read an article this morning, the average hotel room rate has increased 733%

Edit: here it is
https://wtf1.com/post/this-list-sho...w9YabXVkhf185c2Ujs2DFEmYAA6PbbQ33m8gNn4yKaH5c

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
I'm not really sure why everyone is surprised by the ticket cost. F1 has always been for the rich, Vegas is a new track and it'll be the first year of the race, annnnd apparently there is a super limited # of seating areas. The best part is, the $2500 per seat isn't for fans, it's for the people that are there purely to be seen.

Good news is, you can travel out of the US to probably half the races on the calendar and spend less than you would by attending Miami or Vegas. Hungaroring here I come!

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
I'm not really sure why everyone is surprised by the ticket cost. F1 has always been for the rich, Vegas is a new track and it'll be the first year of the race, annnnd apparently there is a super limited # of seating areas. The best part is, the $2500 per seat isn't for fans, it's for the people that are there purely to be seen.

Good news is, you can travel out of the US to probably half the races on the calendar and spend less than you would by attending Miami or Vegas. Hungaroring here I come!
The S/O and I are still planning on heading out to Bahrain next year.

It's just crazy to me that it's going to cost me less to fly halfway around the planet to watch a race than it would be for me to watch one in my own country.

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
The S/O and I are still planning on heading out to Bahrain next year.

It's just crazy to me that it's going to cost me less to fly halfway around the planet to watch a race than it would be for me to watch one in my own country.

And that's before you include the $2-4K in hotel costs for the weekend, too. It's ridiculous but I'm not exactly surprised.