GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2022 Formula 1 Season

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
So I'm bored at work and was curious about comparing times across the last few reg changes.

Spain is my constant, specifically the qualifying times.

2013 - 1:20.718 - Last of the V8s, Blown diffuser RB
2014 - 1:25.232 - New V6/hybrids, Merc probably still had pace in hand as they had zero competition from the field that year
2016 - 1:22.000 - Last of the 'narrow' tire V6 hybrids
2017 - 1:19.149 - New wider tires, wider cars and "bargeboard war"
2020 - 1:15.584 - Probably the fastest F1 cars for the time being, we might get close at the end of the current regs in 2025
2021 - 1:16.741 - Reduced rear floor area hampered rear DF
2022 - 1:18.750 - New ground-effects regs

Ah yes, the sandbag years. I remember well lol. But wow, '22 compared to '21 is a lot less drastic than '14 to '13.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
Ah yes, the sandbag years. I remember well lol. But wow, '22 compared to '21 is a lot less drastic than '14 to '13.
Bahrain 2014, after the Esteban Gutierrez barrel roll... courtesy of our lord and savior, Pastor Maldonado. Safety car out/in, both Mercs drop the sandbags and proceed to pull away by 24 seconds in 10 laps.

It's less dramatic between '21-'22, as the there was aero and powertrain reg changes between '13-'14.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
Redbull fined $7mil and a reduction in wind tunnel/CFD time (down to 63%) due to breach of cost cap.

So it only cost RB $7mil and some development time to win three championships. Sounds like a deal. /s

Last edited:

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Down to 63% from 73%, cuz it's a 10% reduction.

On a brighter note, Alonso got his P7 back. Happy for him.

Edit: oooo AMR fined as well -- $450k

Last edited:

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
Down to 63% from 73%, cuz it's a 10% reduction.

On a brighter note, Alonso got his P7 back. Happy for him.

Edit: oooo AMR fined as well -- $450k
from 70%*

As happy as it was to hear about RB's penalties, Alonso getting that P7 finish back is the bee's knees. He literally had his front wheels up ready for take off, hit a wall, pit to fix what they could and he still finished 7th. Reminds me of 2018 Baku in the Mclaren; he had 2 good tires and no front wing after a first lap incident, makes it back to the pits and continues in the race.... Finishing 7th.

Seb's recovery drive from that shit pitstop and his last lap scrap with Mag was awesome.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
1667170375014.png

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
Wild to think they were fighting RB on pace at the beginning of the year. Then Ferrari goes and finishes a minute behind Max at the third to last race. LOLOLOL

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
Jeez, when you see it typed out... it's a very Alonso-like season. Between his bad luck and questionable career moves, makes you wonder what kind of records he could have had.

HAM - "Guys, are sure this is the right tire?"
Bono - "It'll come to us later, keep pushing."

Meanwhile, Max laughs with consistent 1:22s the whole medium stint.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Jeez, when you see it typed out... it's a very Alonso-like season. Between his bad luck and questionable career moves, makes you wonder what kind of records he could have had.

HAM - "Guys, are sure this is the right tire?"
Bono - "It'll come to us later, keep pushing."

Meanwhile, Max laughs with consistent 1:22s the whole medium stint.
The hards seem to be the wrong choice this whole season.

Hamilton figured it out fairly quickly but the team seemed insistent that the mediums would degrade by the end.

I'm still not sure why both mercedes did the exact same strategy.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
The hards seem to be the wrong choice this whole season.

Hamilton figured it out fairly quickly but the team seemed insistent that the mediums would degrade by the end.

I'm still not sure why both mercedes did the exact same strategy.
Agreed, they really are quite useless. Although I have a feeling Pirelli played it safe this year with the move the 18" tires and the new regs. I'd expect them to make adjustments for next year.

The fact that Ricciardo ended up 7th proved that the Med -> Soft could have worked for either of the Mercs. The issue was Perez and RB's strat; his change to mediums basically forced Ham to pit earlier than he really should have to make the one stop to softs work. Perez would have easily ate into Ham's gap/passed him if he got the fresh mediums into their working zone and Ham was stretching out overly aged mediums.

I appreciate Merc trying to do different things to capitalize on recent opportunities, but what they are doing just isn't the right move when the checkered flag drops. Merc needs to step their strategy game up, they don't have a car that pulls away from the field anymore and they can't dump boat loads of money at the car to make it faster; Plus, RB has a bunch of practice from recent seasons of getting a non-WCC car on the podium, with their strategy calls.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
Alright so before I potentially catch a bunch of shit for posting this in the F1 thread and I'll clarify that I don't watch Nascar unless Raikkonen is driving... I still felt that those in this thread would appreciate the balls on Nascar's Ross Chastain.

mwoodski

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf SW 4mo
Alright so before I potentially catch a bunch of shit for posting this in the F1 thread and I'll clarify that I don't watch Nascar unless Raikkonen is driving... I still felt that those in this thread would appreciate the balls on Nascar's Ross Chastain.

Alonso QT'd it on the bird app, it's fair game.