GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2015 WRX Discussion Thread

mmoran903

Ready to race!
They split the grill for some reason. I don't know why. The australian version is normal and looks much better.

haha, yeah how'd you know?

ah shit what have i started

I think it must have been an unflattering angle for the gti, but I agree the gti looks a little boring by comparison.

Honestly at this point all i can say is that it feels really weird to be driving a car other than the gti. I've only driven it for about 30 mins, most of it highway, so it's too early to say much. The clutch is a little heavier than the gti (not too heavy, but heavier) with a shorter engagement zone, and the gas is a bit touchier, so it's more difficult to get the shifts right. Although I'm sure it will be fine after a little more practice. The nav headunit sucks, but it got me home and it's nice to have something integrated instead of having to use my phone. The buttons are small and hard to push, and I kept hitting the wrong thing. The GTI touchscreen is definitely much nicer. The HK audio sounds good over bluetooth, but crappy with satellite. Audiophiles should stick with aftermarket, but most people would probably be fine with it. Even though I didn't push it much, the handling seems amazing. I went around turns I usually have to slow down for without even noticing. I'm looking forward to taking it on some good roads. Road noise and ride comfort, both things I was worried about, are minimal - not significantly different from my gti, so I'm happy about that. It's definitely faster than a stock gti. Boost seems to come on around 3k. Exhaust is a little louder than a stock gti, but definitely too quiet. You hear much more turbo/intake noise than exhaust.

Congrats! Your review sort of mirrors mine a few pages back. Now that I've had mine for a week, i'll elaborate:

I filled up my gas tank today, 14 gallons @ around 350 or so miles. The dash indicated i'd averaged about 25-26 on this tank, so that sounds about right. If i had to guess, i'd imagine about 65% of that was highway driving and the remainder around town/in city. For the sake of full disclosure, I think i forgot to reset it (the trip meter) until i was home from the dealership about 20ish miles up the road.

After playing with the head unit, I've noticed that the HK system is good when playing music through Bluetooth. Quick tip - adjust the SVC (speed volume control) and play with the EQ. I also found that adjusting the EQ on my iPhone made a WORLD of difference, so hopefully that helps someone.

The navigation system - major pro is how much more information it provides (for example, showing the exit signs for upcoming exits on the LCD). To contrast, driving home from OBX last year in the GTI I often found myself trying to figure out what the hell the stock nav was telling me to do when you're in a major merge/exit intersection. I imagine this is rarely an issue, but figured i'd mention it. The UI is a little clunky comparatively, but i think that's just learning curve. There's also an option to have the nav shrink down so as to not take up the whole screen, and I like that too. Further, voice control on the nav probably helps make up for the clunkiness, as you can control it with your voice anyways. I haven't delved real far into this, so i'll come back to that.

The "feel" of the touch screen is seemingly of lesser quality, and I'll admit glare may be an issue.

As also mentioned above, the car is very comfortable. The auto climate is a nice feature, the seats are plush, and the road noise is minimal. I'll also re-state that I LOVE being able have just one window down or the sunroof open. In the GTI it always felt like it was all or nothing unless you wanted to be blasted in the face (that's what she said) with wind and wind-noise.

On to what matters - This car feels like a fucking rocket ship compared to a stock GTI. Not only that, but the throttle is really responsive (as mentioned above). The turn-in feels incredible, and the car just feels planted to the road, regardless of what you throw at it. I haven't really "pushed it" yet since i'm still in break-in mode, but you can just feel it as you take an on ramp or effortless pass someone on the highway.

This was easily the stupidest "financial decision" of my short 29 year life, but man do i fucking love this car. I couldn't be happier.

TL; DR version: go drive one.

Isj

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
Just saw a dark gray premium with HK audio and nav and 6spd manual at a dealer nearby my work, I'm going to test drive it today.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
It's funny a couple days ago I thought I should make plac vids for the 235. Hardly any are out there and there is only a few people modding so far. New Subaru is definitely more popular though.

haha.. you should tho, man.

They split the grill for some reason. I don't know why. The australian version is normal and looks much better.

It looks they are air vents :iono:

Honestly at this point all i can say is that it feels really weird to be driving a car other than the gti. I've only driven it for about 30 mins, most of it highway, so it's too early to say much. The clutch is a little heavier than the gti (not too heavy, but heavier) with a shorter engagement zone, and the gas is a bit touchier, so it's more difficult to get the shifts right. Although I'm sure it will be fine after a little more practice. The nav headunit sucks, but it got me home and it's nice to have something integrated instead of having to use my phone. The buttons are small and hard to push, and I kept hitting the wrong thing. The GTI touchscreen is definitely much nicer. The HK audio sounds good over bluetooth, but crappy with satellite. Audiophiles should stick with aftermarket, but most people would probably be fine with it. Even though I didn't push it much, the handling seems amazing. I went around turns I usually have to slow down for without even noticing. I'm looking forward to taking it on some good roads. Road noise and ride comfort, both things I was worried about, are minimal - not significantly different from my gti, so I'm happy about that. It's definitely faster than a stock gti. Boost seems to come on around 3k. Exhaust is a little louder than a stock gti, but definitely too quiet. You hear much more turbo/intake noise than exhaust.

Great review, thanks!

going to test drive one this weekend, if I get a decent trade in offer, i will have a new car :)

awww yeahhh :thumbup:

WRX/STi unboxing vids would cause some people serious nerdgasms.

this^

F5 F5 F5 F5 F5

IN4UPDATES?

Congrats! Your review sort of mirrors mine a few pages back. Now that I've had mine for a week, i'll elaborate:

I filled up my gas tank today, 14 gallons @ around 350 or so miles. The dash indicated i'd averaged about 25-26 on this tank, so that sounds about right. If i had to guess, i'd imagine about 65% of that was highway driving and the remainder around town/in city. For the sake of full disclosure, I think i forgot to reset it (the trip meter) until i was home from the dealership about 20ish miles up the road.

After playing with the head unit, I've noticed that the HK system is good when playing music through Bluetooth. Quick tip - adjust the SVC (speed volume control) and play with the EQ. I also found that adjusting the EQ on my iPhone made a WORLD of difference, so hopefully that helps someone.

The navigation system - major pro is how much more information it provides (for example, showing the exit signs for upcoming exits on the LCD). To contrast, driving home from OBX last year in the GTI I often found myself trying to figure out what the hell the stock nav was telling me to do when you're in a major merge/exit intersection. I imagine this is rarely an issue, but figured i'd mention it. The UI is a little clunky comparatively, but i think that's just learning curve. There's also an option to have the nav shrink down so as to not take up the whole screen, and I like that too. Further, voice control on the nav probably helps make up for the clunkiness, as you can control it with your voice anyways. I haven't delved real far into this, so i'll come back to that.

The "feel" of the touch screen is seemingly of lesser quality, and I'll admit glare may be an issue.

As also mentioned above, the car is very comfortable. The auto climate is a nice feature, the seats are plush, and the road noise is minimal. I'll also re-state that I LOVE being able have just one window down or the sunroof open. In the GTI it always felt like it was all or nothing unless you wanted to be blasted in the face (that's what she said) with wind and wind-noise.

On to what matters - This car feels like a fucking rocket ship compared to a stock GTI. Not only that, but the throttle is really responsive (as mentioned above). The turn-in feels incredible, and the car just feels planted to the road, regardless of what you throw at it. I haven't really "pushed it" yet since i'm still in break-in mode, but you can just feel it as you take an on ramp or effortless pass someone on the highway.

This was easily the stupidest "financial decision" of my short 29 year life, but man do i fucking love this car. I couldn't be happier.

TL; DR version: go drive one.

great review. And yeah.. sometimes those stupid decisions make the most sense ;)

How is the BT for the phone usage???

Just saw a dark gray premium with HK audio and nav and 6spd manual at a dealer nearby my work, I'm going to test drive it today.

sex.

thats my color and same package but only i went with the sti and a few other goodies. do it..do it naow!

you still haven't posted pics!

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I think I've already said this on here, but our local dealers are already doing around $2K off MSRP.. not bad.

Isj

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
yeah it seems a lot of dealers are actually selling them under MSRP. A couple dealers in CT where I live offered $1000-$1500 under MSRP.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
Wonder what the dealers around here will offer them at. THey seem to be assholes, so probably marked up a few grand.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
I wonder if pricing would be better a dealership way out in the boonies away from high population town/cities where they might not sell as well.

Subaru sells like crazy here. We are less than an hour from snow, so everyone wants the AWD. Plus, we have tons of douchenozzles here who want to get the WRX/STI and be a douche in it.

shdwblugti

Go Kart Champion
I wonder if pricing would be better a dealership way out in the boonies away from high population town/cities where they might not sell as well.

find Chicago Car Network on facebook, they might be able to help