GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2015 WRX Discussion Thread

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
He's foreign.. just joking. It's hard to sense his sarcasm on the interwebs. I thought he was gonna stab me when I gave him a ride back to his hotel once...

:laugh::thumbsup:

formul8

My GLI farts
Car(s)
2006 GLI
There have been rumors of Toyota buying them - I bet something like that will happen eventually, IF they allow it.

Good points, I guess I should say, their increasing market share and sales growth is outperforming VW ;)

Yeah, Toyota is now a minority partner. I could see Toyota taking a bigger stake after VW proclaimed they want to be the world's biggest car maker a few years ago.

I've noticed that the more weirdness Subaru takes out of their cars, their sales increase. Subaru up 21% YTD 2014 while VW is down 11% is interesting.

EDIT: Now I'm getting Subaru banner ads on this site and everywhere else. :laugh::laugh:

Last edited:

formul8

My GLI farts
Car(s)
2006 GLI
He's foreign.. just joking. It's hard to sense his sarcasm on the interwebs. I thought he was gonna stab me when I gave him a ride back to his hotel once...

Ok, that makes sense now, since we all know foreigners are stupid. :laugh:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
This would assume that the average New Subaru buyer is the same as the previous subaru buyer...

Lots of ppl are trading out of SUVs/large cars and getting 4WD subarus because they are the "smarter" alternative. If you have a brand that grows at 15-20% annually for the past few years they are clearly getting a lot of "first time" subaru buyers, which may not be the same as the ppl that own them currently.

Besides toyota owns 17% share of subaru already.

Good stuff^

Great point.. a lot of people I know are getting into subaru's for the first time... WRX or Forester, etc, etc. no matter what.. esp with their new mpg figures on some of the models being greatly improved, "real" AWD is something to desire.

:laugh::thumbsup:

:wub: :thumbup:

Yeah, Toyota is now a minority partner. I could see Toyota taking a bigger stake after VW proclaimed they want to be the world's biggest car maker a few years ago.

I've noticed that the more weirdness Subaru takes out of their cars, their sales increase. Subaru up 21% YTD 2014 while VW is down 11% is interesting.

I don't think their cars have gotten too much less wierd than before, honestly.

Ok, that makes sense now, since we all know foreigners are stupid. :laugh:

correct.

:lol:

formul8

My GLI farts
Car(s)
2006 GLI
I don't think their cars have gotten too much less wierd than before, honestly.

Each model redesign looks more like a butch Toyota. (excluding the FR-S/BRZ)

Subaru has also been way more active with their advertising and marketing campaigns than in the past, so their exposure has gone up.

I think VW still scares too many buyers as being unreliable and über expensive to repair. Well, one of those is still true...

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
When you have to spend $400 every 40k on a DSG service... you do get a bit taken back... esp if you can't do the work yourself or know the internet forums or independent dealers. Which applies to most ppl that own VWs.

VWs are pretty expensive to maintain, have terrible depreciation, and below average reliability. All those things add up to their issues.

On the flipside, driving dynamics are great and the badge is a nudge above the American/Asian cars... but unless the other issues change it won't help their cause.

formul8

My GLI farts
Car(s)
2006 GLI
When you have to spend $400 every 40k on a DSG service... you do get a bit taken back... esp if you can't do the work yourself or know the internet forums or independent dealers.

VW are pretty expensive to maintain, have terrible depreciation, and below average reliability. All those things add up to their issues.

Yeah, $700+ for 40k service pretty steep for cars in this class. Depreciation is so-so on all models except the GTI and TDI cars, which is pretty high.

The reliability of these cars is a crap shoot. My '06 GLI was a POS and my current '10 GTI has been fine since new for 58k miles.

This might be my last VW, though. If I do get another, it will be leased for 36 months. The WRX is compelling for these insanely cheap prices, though. If they offered 0% for 60 months, I consider one.

Isj

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
VWs are pretty expensive to maintain, have terrible depreciation, and below average reliability. All those things add up to their issues.

That's probably the main reason why I might forget getting the mk7 R and go for the WRX instead. After having my rear diff fail on my R32 and the unit costs $4000, luckily the shop replaced it as it was their fault, but its not something I want to pay for in the future. Not to mention I have to worry about the chain tensioner, DMF making noises, DSG running rough at low speeds etc.

Also just spent $1000 for my 80k service at an indepent shop, would have been much more at a dealer

formul8

My GLI farts
Car(s)
2006 GLI
That's probably the main reason why I might forget getting the mk7 R and go for the WRX instead. After having my rear diff fail on my R32 and the unit costs $4000, luckily the shop replaced it as it was their fault, but its not something I want to pay for in the future. Not to mention I have to worry about the chain tensioner, DMF making noises, DSG running rough at low speeds etc.

Good point. As the car goes out of warranty, it becomes a game of "Which catastrophic component failure is my car going to have?"

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I am rolling around in a ticking time bomb of a TDI.... $8000-10000 repair costs of a failed fuel pump that no one knows why/how fails... VW sold over 400k of these cars in the US now... There is a pending NHTSA investigation, and they seem to be covering the repairs for now.

So most other issues kind of pale discussed here kind of pale at least in my eyes :laugh: but I am pretty sure I'll be selling the car before I am out of 5/60k warranty that covers the failure. I am at 41k miles as of today...

TDI resales are actually decent. My car took a HUGE hit in year 1-2 but pretty much remained flat since.

squall

Ready to race!
Yeah, $700+ for 40k service pretty steep for cars in this class. Depreciation is so-so on all models except the GTI and TDI cars, which is pretty high.

The reliability of these cars is a crap shoot. My '06 GLI was a POS and my current '10 GTI has been fine since new for 58k miles.

This might be my last VW, though. If I do get another, it will be leased for 36 months. The WRX is compelling for these insanely cheap prices, though. If they offered 0% for 60 months, I consider one.

i dont think you'll see 0% financing on the wrx or sti. maybe 1.9% but it doubt that as well. now if you were talking the outback or impreza..then yeah, but not gonna happen on the rex. such a shame too.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Why is it a shame? They are offering 2.9% financing, which is still below inflation. 0% is just free money and is usually in lieu of discounts.

squall

Ready to race!
ive had my gti for less than 2 years and have already had the water pump replaced and the intake manifold replaced. and as with most, my clutch is slipping horribly. i've had it with this car. both my wrx and even my z06 didnt have as many issues combined. granted every car has its gremlins, but this is a bit much. i'm paying to drive my gti, not a loaner car.. thats why i made my move to the sti and the ej motor. i had one for 5 years and know the dos and donts of it.