GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2015 WRX Discussion Thread

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
From C&D's review:

Interesting that they didn't directly say it was a really good transmission? I wonder if everyone was just really surprised that it was a good CVT, not necessarily a good automatic. Won't matter to performance enthusiasts as I'm sure they're all checking the "MT" box, but a CVT raising the bar for all automatics is good for competition's sake.

It'll also be really interesting to see how the CVT takes power adders.

Don't want to be the first guy with 350whp to find that out :lol:

I do wonder if its anywhere near as good as the DSG as far as shifting on the fly with the paddles... doubt it.

I am expecting nothing but positive press for this... i mean it's getting a little old. It's like BRZ all over again... amazeballs... at the end of the day its still just an improved version of the previous car. Nothing amazing here...

but we're already tossing around 911 comparisons, S4 comparisons god knows what else.

Don't forget the Bugatti comparison, dude... :laugh:

Jokes aside tho, it's an improved version, but it is on the verge of being "amazing"... more to come/see, to determine the same.

Yea, its like every time a niche model comes out, it is like the end of the world.
Mustang
Camaro
Corvette
BRZ
WRX
370z
etc... every time there is a new gen there is some kind of press pandemonium of jizzing all over the pre production cars.

true, but that's how they fuel their industry and their job security.

Yep that's exactly what I am getting at... its almost annoying at this point. I can't read any pre production reviews period, they exaggerate the features of each car... not only that but frequently the manufacturer provides Ringer cars... esp on the turbo version.

All the sudden they boost to 12psi and factory versions boost to 10... aka the 335i launch vehicles etc.

I do agree with you on the ringer cars.. seems more and more prevelant these days.

I don't know if I'd say that just yet. The previous car was a hoot to drive. Just had a shit-tastic interior, shit seats, shit transmission, and tons of body roll. We can see from pictures that the interior got quite the upgrade. Seats were reworked. And so I'd say it comes down to the transmission and suspension. And if they upgraded those even slightly, it will make for a pretty darn awesome little car.

and they did ;) the 6spd is being hailed as the best MT Subaru has ever made - which... may not be saying a whole lot, but if its better than the last 6spd in the STI, that is def an improvement on what wasn't that bad of a trans really. And the susp sounds like it was beefed up substantially as well, something like 41% more stiff than the last WRX, that's a lot.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion

http://drive2.subaru.com/Sum09/Sum09_whatmakes.htm

ivory lovin

Passed Driver's Ed
the 6spd is being hailed as the best MT Subaru has ever made - which... may not be saying a whole lot, but if its better than the last 6spd in the STI, that is def an improvement on what wasn't that bad of a trans really.

Not sure if your high or kidding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
haha, wut?

ivory tusks, there was the one review saying it was the best MT they've ever done... not saying its on par with Mazda or Honda just yet, but the STI shifter wasn't terrible, but it was no S2K or Miata either. so yeah... I'm serious.... not high.. but I'd like to be... I could be serious... AND high, doe. That works too.

ivory lovin

Passed Driver's Ed
Have you owned a s2000? Mazdazpeed? The sti trans is pretty incredible IMO. My 05 had 400whp and close to 100 passes down the 1/4 and a dozen NASA events. Stock clutch. Saying that it wasn't all that bad doesn't quite do it justice IMO.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
CVTs blow ASS. They're the least engaging worst transmission design to date. Efficient, blah blah, don't care. They fucking suck to drive. If Subaru figured out a way to make it not completely suck, then they win and people will be impressed. It'll never be better than a traditional automatic. Dual clutch automated manuals are the only acceptable form of auto IMO.

They need a swift kick to the testicles since they clearly won't be needing them anymore. Fucking nancies.

Right? I've driven a couple CVT's and they're terrible. Surely a huge transition from fixed ratio transmissions. Can't imagine what it'd be like to live with one, hence my bringing that up. Is it good for a CVT? Or is it good for an automatic? Those shifts didn't sound nearly as spectacular as a dual-clutch, but I didn't have my ass in the seat while it shifted.

Don't want to be the first guy with 350whp to find that out :lol:

In that C&D article they were saying that the engineers had to boost the hydraulic fluid PSI to get it to feel like a good automatic. I imagine if there's any relationship between the torque-holding capacity and that fluid pressure the CVT will get extremely spongy at higher power levels. Could be funny.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Have you owned a s2000? Mazdazpeed? The sti trans is pretty incredible IMO. My 05 had 400whp and close to 100 passes down the 1/4 and a dozen NASA events. Stock clutch. Saying that it wasn't all that bad doesn't quite do it justice IMO.

rofl.

yep... le sigh... I've driven both those cars :rolleyes:

I didn't say reliability, I said feel ;) learn how to read....

They are bulletproof for reliability. I have said that on here many times. I tracked both my STI's too... but we are not talking about realiability, we are talking about shifter feel, plain and simple. The feel of the STI shifter was nowhere near as crisp as an S2K or MS3... it wasn't bad, but it wasn't that good either. I am saying, that the reviews are saying, it is BETTER than the STI shifter.

Right? I've driven a couple CVT's and they're terrible. Surely a huge transition from fixed ratio transmissions. Can't imagine what it'd be like to live with one, hence my bringing that up. Is it good for a CVT? Or is it good for an automatic? Those shifts didn't sound nearly as spectacular as a dual-clutch, but I didn't have my ass in the seat while it shifted.

In that C&D article they were saying that the engineers had to boost the hydraulic fluid PSI to get it to feel like a good automatic. I imagine if there's any relationship between the torque-holding capacity and that fluid pressure the CVT will get extremely spongy at higher power levels. Could be funny.

great post/points/questions there^ :clap:

ivory lovin

Passed Driver's Ed
and they did the 6spd is being hailed as the best MT Subaru has ever made - which... may not be saying a whole lot, but if its better than the last 6spd in the STI, that is def an improvement on what wasn't that bad of a trans really.

you didn't say anything about feel... I wasn't arguing really, just asking if you drove the other cars or just read it in a magazine. I owned a mazdaspeed 3 and didn't care for the vagueness of the trans. The S2000 felt ok. "Feel" is subjective i guess.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
you didn't say anything about feel... I wasn't arguing really, just asking if you drove the other cars or just read it in a magazine. I owned a mazdaspeed 3 and didn't care for the vagueness of the trans. The S2000 felt ok. "Feel" is subjective i guess.

my apologies, yes - I meant in feeling as in this is the best working item a manufacturer has made. Typically, that may not apply to reliability before it even has a chance at being proven as such. It refers to how something works - how it feels - in this case, how the shifter feels. It sounds like you haven't watched any of the vids posted in this thread... but that's where it has been mentioned and in the R&T article as well.

Agreed, feel is subjective, however most enthusiasts will advise that the shifter feel in many Honda and Mazda vehicles is some of the best for a non-luxury sportscar. The Civic Si I drove a while back was super smooth... I wish my STI's had that smooth of a shifter, so anything that Subaru does to get in that direction is enticing to me if I'm looking at going MT again.

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion

Yea, complaint was around the feel of the transmission. WRXs of old felt like they had a transmission out of a farm tractor.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Yea, complaint was around the feel of the transmission. WRXs of old felt like they had a transmission out of a farm tractor.

correct/agreed. same goes for the reviews on the MT XV Crosstrek, lol.

ivory lovin

Passed Driver's Ed

definitely agree.. but the sti's trans, at least in my OPINION, was nothing like the wrx's. But you know what they say about opinions.