GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2015 Volkswagen Golf R: First Drive

Bender1

Banned
2011+ Golfs have hill hold that makes it unnecessary. Even without it, though, I've never actually used the handbrake for anything other than parking.

In West Virginia there is one specific hill i use it on. But again, FX-400...

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
What's the issue with the FX400 that you can't drive it a like a normal car?

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
This is my problem with this review. There is no real relevance testing a car on ice/snow to dry pavement. Completely different worlds, not much overlap.

You must not live in the north. I've been jonesin so bad for an R these past few weeks with the many feet of consistent snowfall, sub-0 temps and high winds and this stunt really drives the point home. This car seems to be tuned really well for control in the snow. So yes, there is a lot of overlap...

butchered by autocorrecr

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Well if you use the hand brake you still have to slip it up a hill, no way to go around that... Same thing different brake.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
2011+ Golfs have hill hold that makes it unnecessary. Even without it, though, I've never actually used the handbrake for anything other than parking.

Beat me to it.

I wonder if these electronic handbrake systems use different rear calipers? It'd be awesome if we could get away from the twisting ratcheting kind on the cars of the past few decades.

butchered by autocorrecr

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Beat me to it.

I wonder if these electronic handbrake systems use different rear calipers? It'd be awesome if we could get away from the twisting ratcheting kind on the cars of the past few decades.

butchered by autocorrecr

No because you don't want to keep the hydraulics pressurized the whole time...

Electronic Parking brake just adds actuator to the ratcheting mechanism. Hill hold is ABS and temperarily apply pressure(or keeps the pressure from previous application) to hold the car in place...

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
Ok... forgive me for being a retard... but isn't pulling the handbrake on an AWD retarded? I mean unless you have the car in neutral and have a manual...

I know it was ill advised to pull the handbrake on my 2012 WRX while in gear because the differentials weren't designed to handle that. To give an example of how finicky the differentials were, there were documented cases of people smoking their differentials by simply running the spare tire after changing out a flat. If one slightly off sized tire could ruin them, I hate to see what repeated handbrake drifts would do to them, and the transmission!

Calvinball

Go Kart Champion
I know it was ill advised to pull the handbrake on my 2012 WRX while in gear because the differentials weren't designed to handle that. To give an example of how finicky the differentials were, there were documented cases of people smoking their differentials by simply running the spare tire after changing out a flat. If one slightly off sized tire could ruin them, I hate to see what repeated handbrake drifts would do to them, and the transmission!

Right. That's because they have viscous coupling diffs. It all depends on what type of diffs a car has. The STI you could drift and all that without worrying about them.

Don't know enough about VW's awd system to comment.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
No because you don't want to keep the hydraulics pressurized the whole time...

Electronic Parking brake just adds actuator to the ratcheting mechanism. Hill hold is ABS and temperarily apply pressure(or keeps the pressure from previous application) to hold the car in place...

Boo.

butchered by autocorrecr

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
You must not live in the north. I've been jonesin so bad for an R these past few weeks with the many feet of consistent snowfall, sub-0 temps and high winds and this stunt really drives the point home. This car seems to be tuned really well for control in the snow. So yes, there is a lot of overlap...

butchered by autocorrecr

Re-read what I wrote. I said there isn't enough overlap between ice/snow driving and dry pavement driving to draw conclusions about how the Golf R will handle in the dry.

This is my problem with this review. There is no real relevance testing a car on ice/snow to dry pavement. Completely different worlds, not much overlap.

If you're buying a Golf R solely based on how it handles in the snow with studded winter tires, then I agree, this is a meaningful review for you. But many people buy cars mostly on how they handle on dry pavement, and this review doesn't shed any light on how the Golf R handles in the dry.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
I see... so it is an extra feature, I know pulling the E brake on my vette/jeep resulted in nothing :laugh: I just wanted to see what happens. I know the Golf Ris 95% FWD under normal conditions, yet I wasn't sure what would happen if hand brake it pulled.

I am sure Haldex can disengage the clutch pack completely if it needs to.

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
Right. That's because they have viscous coupling diffs. It all depends on what type of diffs a car has. The STI you could drift and all that without worrying about them.

Don't know enough about VW's awd system to comment.
:confused: Viscous couplings should be more forgiving and not burn out due to small tire diameter differences.