GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

17" or 18"? (Performance)

Sevag

Car(s)
Mk5 GTI
Guys i have 17" Denvers, i know 18" Huffs will look better, but would it also improve my acceleration (reduce wheelspin)
what benefits do 18" wheels have over 17"
other than better cornering and grip
:help:

merkeyterkey

The Real FLATTIRE
meh theoretically, bigger rims = worse gas milage, slower acceleration, higher top speed & harder to turn but the changes are so small you will never notice....I think.

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI

DarkX

Your Boss :P
Car(s)
GTI ED30 DSG
If performance is your priority then it's more important to choose lightweight wheels rather than looking solely at their size. Also choosing a wider tire which at the same time is designed for performance, (i.e. semi-slicks) will improve your acceleration from a stop. Such factors however will positively affect performance the more power you've got, as it is then that traction becomes a necessity and light weight will help to keep you going faster. So if I were you I would look for lightweight wheels, nothing wrong with 18" if they looked good and I'd pair them with wider performance tires. Technically that should limit wheel spin and still have all the benefits of cornering and braking. You just need to find the right setup for your power for best results. Fuel consumption will increase, nothing you can do about it; performance always costs.