GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Search results

1. theholycow

Feeler: 2008 VW Rabbit S 2-door 5MT Shadow Blue $13,500 (RI)

FS: 2008 VW Rabbit S 2-door 5MT Shadow Blue $12,000 (RI/MA/CT) 2008 VW Rabbit S - 2-door - 5 speed manual - Shadow Blue - 31,500 miles - iPod adapter - Remote windows - open and close the windows with the remote control. - Maintained per the manufacturer's schedule. - 18,500 miles of...
  2. theholycow

Ever had a dead battery? Weird symptoms!

This is what a 2008 Volkswagen does if the battery is dead. This is not while attempting to start the car or operate anything; this just the car sitting there parked. There is no way to open the hatch because it doesn't have a manual latch handle. There is no operating the locks. Whether the key...
  3. theholycow

DIY HowTo replace wiper inserts/refills instead of buying expensive wiper blades

With old-fashioned mutli-hinged blades the frame/hinges wear out and it gets sloppy about the same time that the rubber wears out, so it used to be pointless replacing the refills. With these modern beam-style wiper blades, I suspect that you can replace the rubber insert (aka "refill") multiple...
  4. theholycow

What is an "Insert Valve"?

My Rabbit was throwing a P0420 and I brought it in for service. They replaced the "Insert Valve". What is that?
  5. theholycow

Press "Mix" and it plays one song >30% of the time

I play mp3 cds in my single-disc base model 2008 2 door Rabbit stereo. I use the "Mix" button to play songs somewhat randomly. The problem is that it gets obsessed with one song, and that one song will get chosen 2 or more times in a row, and otherwise will be chosen after every 1 or 2 other...
  6. theholycow

Express windows fail and steering warning light -- don't worry about it

After disconnecting and reconnecting my battery, I had a couple problems. I figured I'd post them for when others search for the problem. The steering warning light was on; the manual says that it will go away after driving a bit. Sure enough, it did. The express-down/express-up (AKA...
  7. theholycow

What's this thing under the hood?

So while I was under the hood, I noticed this silver thing that looks kind of like a pedal. I couldn't resist reaching in and messing with it with my hand, and when I pushed it, it moved and clicked pretty solidly towards the passenger side. Then I moved it back just as easily. In this picture...
  8. theholycow

Where is the clutch switch?

I'm working on a fix for rev hang for people who can't afford a tune. I got a good look at the clutch pedal and can't find anything that looks like a clutch switch. It's clean and simple under there, just a bracket, the pedal, and two plungers that both appear to penetrate the firewall. Well...
  9. theholycow

Fusebox layout (manual is wrong)

Where can I get the correct fusebox documentation for my car? The manual is wrong. For example, it lists F31 as the windshield wipers, but in reality F19 is the windshield wipers.
  10. theholycow

Credit card fraud!

Check your credit card statements!!! A few months ago, I received a $69.99 charge for classiccloseouts.com on one of my credit cards. I had never done any business with them or any company that I can identify as affiliated with them. Of course, I disputed it with the bank. I'm not the only...
  11. theholycow

New car survey from "Strategic Vision" legit?

I've received a survey from "Strategic Vision" about my VW purchase and it appears valid. Has anyone else gotten it?
  12. theholycow

Rev limiter fail?

I was angry and trying to burn off some stress when I turned off ASR (my Rabbit doesn't have ESP) and dumped the clutch at 3000rpm. A FWD one wheel peel, it turns out, is not very satisfying. Gotta get me a RWD car with limited slip...anyway... When I did it, I saw the tachometer go way past...
  13. theholycow

Where is that mod to automatically turn off ESP?

Clif's notes: I'd like to find a thread where someone described an electronic mod that sent a pulse to the ESP button wiring a few seconds after receiving power. Once upon a time, I saw a thread where someone had designed a circuit that would automatically (virtually) press the "ESP" button a...
  14. theholycow

Changing display from Metric to US - Not MFD!

Can I change any settings on my display without using Vag-Com? It's NOT the MFD. I used Vag-Com to enable Coming Home but I couldn't see how to change the display back to US units without disabling Coming Home. For those who don't know what the non-MFD in the base 2 door Rabbit/Golf looks like...
  15. theholycow

Three beeps when restarting in neutral while rolling

While experimenting with a gas saving technique that I have no interest in making a habit, I shut off my engine while rolling in neutral (manual tranmission) and then restarted it. When it started, I got three long beeps from the dash. Why did it beep?
  16. theholycow

Wipers failed. Where's that fuse?

Wiper fuse NOT F31? Check F19! Now what amperage fuse goes there? Edit: Found it. It's F19, which the manual says is for the radio. See post #15 in this thread. Now what fuse rating is correct? Yesterday I started the car, went to turn on the windshield wipers, and nothing happened. Then it...
  17. theholycow

Where is that mod to automatically turn off ESP?

I know I read it in a thread here sometime in the past. There was a mod to automatically turn off ESP a few seconds after starting the car. I'm going crazy searching for it and failing. Where can I find it?
  18. theholycow

Secondary fuse for stereo, not listed in manual

Working on some wiring, I've blown a fuse going to the stereo harness. I checked the manual and it said F18 in the fusebox under the hood, however, that fuse is not blown. Is there another fuse for the stereo? The whole thing is all apart and I'd hate to drive to work with no stereo tomorrow...
  19. theholycow

1997 F350 dually 4x4 12' stake body dump in RI: $5,000 obo

Sold. Mods feel free to delete this thread. Sold. Mods feel free to delete this thread.
  20. theholycow

Where to actually FIND approved oil?

I am a WalMart shopper. Yes, I admit it. So, while in their oil aisle, I looked through the endless array of premium brand-name synthetics, shelves stretching ten meters each with dozens of brands and grades. I failed to find any listing VW 502.00 approvals among the list of other numeric and...