GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK6 automatic (DSG) upgrades?

whizzard

(first post) Hello everyone! I love my GTI. I got an automatic because I can be a lazy driver sometimes and I think the DSG is pretty fun. Is there anything I should know or consider if I am thinking of doing some upgrades? I read stage 1 can make the car more fun to drive, but I am sure most of you have standard transmission. What kind of mods to make it faster would you recommend for someone with an automatic? Are most mods OK for both auto and manual? It is a 2012 model.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Stop calling it an automatic first off. LOL

It's a computer controlled manual with dual clutches. Calling it an "automatic" is like looking at Karen Gillan and calling her Rosie O'donnelll.

The easiest first mod for speed and enjoyment is free, it's a driver mod. Stop driving it in "D", use the paddles and shift it manually like it was designed to be driven. ;)(y) You get more performance from the DSG but it comes with the tradeoff of higher maintenance costs and points of failure. Why take the risks if you're not going to enjoy the benefits? lol

Stage 1 is you're first best bet, big jump in power for the cost and effort for sure. Changes the car completely. Good place to start and then see what more you're looking for.

Thumper

Autocross Champion

whizzard

Stop calling it an automatic first off. LOL

It's a computer controlled manual with dual clutches. Calling it an "automatic" is like looking at Karen Gillan and calling her Rosie O'donnelll.

The easiest first mod for speed and enjoyment is free, it's a driver mod. Stop driving it in "D", use the paddles and shift it manually like it was designed to be driven. ;)(y) You get more performance from the DSG but it comes with the tradeoff of higher maintenance costs and points of failure. Why take the risks if you're not going to enjoy the benefits? lol

Stage 1 is you're first best bet, big jump in power for the cost and effort for sure. Changes the car completely. Good place to start and then see what more you're looking for.

LOL yea I will stop calling it an automatic. And I do use the paddles in that mode where you move the shifter to the right when I want to have some fun with it. I figured a stage 1 would probably be the right move after reading the other threads but didn't know if DSG used a different kind or was a different upgrade path. Thanks again!

Thumper

Autocross Champion
There are also tunes for the transmission control, tightens up shifts even more. Not a big change and not needed until you start getting into bigger power necessarily but it's available. Other than that as Jay stated no real difference in mods between the DGS and the 6-speed other than being different for the different parts (trans mounts, ect).

ChrisAttebery

Drag Racing Champion
The best thing you can do for the DSG is get a DSG tune. It will transform the car. I have the Integrated Engineering stage 1 and DSG tunes and I highly recommend them.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion
To the OP - Fluid changes and filters at about half the OEM recommended value of 40K miles should be a "mod". Besides this go for a Stage 1 or 2 ECU tune before going with a TCU tune. Anything more powerful than Stage 2 deserves an LSD in my opinion. Track duty requires cooling upgrades to keep from frying clutches.

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion
If it shifts for you, it's an automatic. Pretty simple. A fancy automatic is still an automatic, not sure why that word triggers people so much.

Agreed. Not necessarily a bad thing. My stock exhaust and the car being "just an automatic" got me out of a ticket once....

Thumper

Autocross Champion
If it shifts for you, it's an automatic. Pretty simple. A fancy automatic is still an automatic, not sure why that word triggers people so much.

So by that logic why aren't we all driving Prius's (Priusi?)?? It's got 4 wheels and an engine, same as our VWs......no difference right?

LOL Not triggered at all, and I'm with you, not sure why people get so triggered when it's pointed out manuals are old tech and slow. ;)

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
So by that logic why aren't we all driving Prius's (Priusi?)?? It's got 4 wheels and an engine, same as our VWs......no difference right?

LOL Not triggered at all, and I'm with you, not sure why people get so triggered when it's pointed out manuals are old tech and slow. ;)
Weird flex but ok lol.

Dsgs aren't some unworldly creature. The advantage it'll give is about the equivalent of removing 50 pounds from the car. Or go full send and remove about 400 pounds from it like I did 🤷‍♂️

Haven't lost to a dsg car yet 🏁🏁🏁

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Dsgs aren't some unworldly creature. The advantage it'll give is about the equivalent of removing 50 pounds from the car. Or go full send and remove about 400 pounds from it like I did 🤷‍♂️

The problem with that logic is the DSG car can do the same thing........ LOL

But you're right, they aren't ungodly creatures, still requires a driver to be able to wring the performance and make the right moves and if you're a better driver you're still going to be on top.