GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recent content by Slothy

1. S

B8 Sport w/ H&R SuperSport vs B12 Sportline Kit?

Looks like one of the recommended DD setups is MKVI B8 Sports w/ H&R Super Sport springs (or Sport springs, but I'm not sure if the the Bilstein HD would be a better pairing then). In my searches I came across the B12 Pro and B12 Sportline kits, which seem to be fairly similar but with Eibach...
  2. S

Coolant loss, white smoke at idle

Used search, did necessary Google-fu. Don't let post-count mislead, I lurk. Yesterday I had a low coolant warning come on while driving back from work. Checked coolant level and sure enough it was low, but temp remained normal. I've never previously seen smoke from the car when warm and only...
  3. S

Headlamp washers install

I was completely clueless that any of our cars had these until I stumbled across the GIF on Wikipedia's article on headlamps. That said, I can only seem to find information on removing them. Anyone know where they can be purchased or of any DIYs for the install? Edit: Yes, have belatedly...
  4. S

Dead auto-levelling sensor?

Hello, Is there a way to confirm a dead leveling sensor for the headlights? I tested mine today by jacking up the car while it was running (yes with headlights on) then disconnecting the front leveler arm and manually moving it up and down while checking for any adjustment of the headlights...
  5. S

Torque mount insert life expectancy?

Is there a general idea on how long these last? I hear they can get pretty chewed up, but beyond appearances more importantly are they still working as intended, or at a reduced effectiveness? Search turned up rant threads, fitment issues, and VirtualHeretic's post on checking your mounts.
  6. S

Uneven Swaybar Endlink Lengths

What would be the effects of having endlinks of unequal length, with regards to both performance and wear? If you have a 12" and a 14", does it just work the same as both being 13"? Sorry if that's a stupid question :) thanks for any help.
  7. S

Is this your car?

Probably should have posted this a year ago but what the heck. Vancouver area, bought my 2008 2-dr United Grey GTI (FSI engine) just about a year ago (mid/late April of last year). Got it from Pacific Auto Sport but pretty sure they bought it from a Hyundai dealership (think it was Destination...
  8. S

FK Streetline Adjusting

When I adjusted the rear suspension I loosened the bolt on the bottom of the perch to drop the control arm enough to raise the collars. On tightening it again, I noticed the washer is warped and the bolt keeps turning. Not sure if I did this or if it came that way (car is used) but I'm...
  9. S

Yet another 225/50 question

Hello, Yes, I've used search. I just have a question about 225/50R17's still since my math seems off. I've got 225/40R18's on my car currently, and know someone with a set of 225/50R17 winter's that came off their previous car that I can get for cheap. I did the math and between my R18's and...
  10. S

Catch can install, idles rough now?

Had a longer post typed but decided TLDR, so: Had a 42DD catch can installed the other day and noticed two things: 1) Sounds different at idle - noise comes out of the engine intake, can be stopped by pinching either of the hoses going to/from CC, sounds like it is idling a bit rough. 2)...
  11. S

OEM Touch-up Spray Paint?

Ordered a touch-up pen from a local VW dealership but they accidently shipped out touch-up spray paint. I already told them I'd rather wait for the pen to come in, but I'd like to know if anyone on here has used the spray and what their results were. I couldn't imagine using it on my car... I...
  12. S

Chip/tune comparison

I know there are some pretty well known threads on this, but they're all from 2009 to 2010 and sometimes things change. So, having looked through 5 pages of results in my search... On a 2008 GTI (FSI), how do the various brands stack up for getting an ECU tune? Which ones offer better torque...
  13. S

APR Sales - how often?

Hello, I always hear to wait for a sale to get their ECU software, and it's on sale right now. That said, I hadn't planned on putting in in my car for another six months. So, how often does APR do big sales like their current one? (if you've got any Canada specific info, please add)
  14. S

Drive back to work ruuuuuuuiiiiinnnnnneddddd

Just kidding (kinda!) So I was driving my car around at lunch today, driving it kinda hard to try and get my radiator fans to spin up, but instead the cap for my resonator ?port?opening? Blew off instead. Suggestions? (2008 GTI) (Oh noes):frown:
  15. S

2-wire Elec. connector passenger side of rad

Hello, Bought my GTI a few weeks ago and while looking under hood I noticed there is a 2-wire connector to the passenger side of the radiator that was not connected. One wire is brown, one is brown with green stripe. They come off of the main grouping for the headlight it looks like. I'll...